Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kqdog

Lurker
Feb 25, 2023
Georgia
Well, I have been enjoying the little steps I've taken with my pipe. I've gone very slow. And felt accomplished when I finished my bowl. Perhaps I was feeling too confident. Yesterday I decided to smoke and used a blend with less nicotine. Some 40-minutes later, I wrapped up and went bout my business. I felt a little dizzy and periodically slightly nauseous. I wondered if I smoked too fast, but the bowl wasn't hot. And believe it or not, I have not experienced tongue bite. I've gone that slow since I started smoking a pipe. But this last one was not pleasant and lingered for a time. Is it normal to have smokes that backfire like this? And what can I do to prevent it? Thx for your support.

Reactions: yanoJL and Scottmi

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
It's a combination of all the factors you can imagine, physiological responses are complex things. How much food you've eaten, current blood sugar levels, rest, and a myriad of others.

But using a blend with "less" nicotine doesn't seem to be leading to what you've described...

kqdog

Lurker
Feb 25, 2023
Georgia
It's a combination of all the factors you can imagine, physiological responses are complex things. How much food you've eaten, current blood sugar levels, rest, and a myriad of others.

But using a blend with "less" nicotine doesn't seem to be leading to what you've described...
Thanks FLDRD. The body is truly complex. I've kept up with my doc for years and have a good bill of health. But you make me watch for things like what I eat before and after, rest, etc. Thanks for your thoughts.

kqdog

Lurker
Feb 25, 2023
Georgia
Eating a piece of chocolate or something sweet / sugary can help with the stomach and jitters if it’s nicotine, if it doesn’t help then it’s probably a brain tumor.
Thanks AJL67. Love it. Thanks for the suggestion. I know I'm not the only one who has experienced this sort of thing. I hope to get suggestions like you just shared. I don't need a medical assessment from the group, although I love humor is welcomed. Just help this old man tune his art. Thx AJL67.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
Thanks AJL67. Love it. Thanks for the suggestion. I know I'm not the only one who has experienced this sort of thing. I hope to get suggestions like you just shared. I don't need a medical assessment from the group, although I love humor is welcomed. Just help this old man tune his art. Thx AJL67.
I go to several large cigar herfs (get togethers) every year with friends, some of the larger ones are 30-70 of us off of 2 different cigar boards, there is always cookies, cake, pastries, all kinds of sweets just for that reason, you get there before lunch and start chain smoking cigars till 10 or 11 or later at night, lots of nicotine, so always sugary treats around, happens to everyone eventually, granted a lot more tobacco is smoked in a cigar and some real nic bombs, but the outcome is the same.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
There is chemistry involved with how nicotine is absorbed into our blood streams; hence, why cigarette manufactures are purported to use some of the additive that they do. It may be possible that this blend with less nicotine may have be a perfect fit with your particular biological chemistry and you may have gotten more nicotine than you were anticipating.

Water and a little food can indeed help you deal with a possible nicotine rush.

mbmoehl

Can't Leave
Jun 15, 2022
Metro Detroit
Nicotine. Vitamin N! Either take a smaller dose, i.e. smoke less or build a tolerance. Start the addiction or jump ship.
Is it possible to build a tolerance to nicotine? I've heard many veterans here talk about being more or less sensitive to it. I suppose it's like anything else that the body adapts to.

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Is it possible to build a tolerance to nicotine? I've heard many veterans here talk about being more or less sensitive to it. I suppose it's like anything else that the body adapts to.
Definitely, but that is what leads to the addiction. A Japanese forged samurai double edged sword.

augiebd

Lifer
Jul 6, 2019
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
Good advice here, if it was a lower nicotine blend might be a combination of what you ate and length of session. Try some of the advice and let us know how you make out. Many of us have been there and made it through.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

kqdog

Lurker
Feb 25, 2023
Georgia
Good advice here, if it was a lower nicotine blend might be a combination of what you ate and length of session. Try some of the advice and let us know how you make out. Many of us have been there and made it through.
Thanks Augiebod. I appreciate your thoughtfulness. I have received pretty helpful advice and feel a bit more on top of things. On a side note, I think I had a bug. Not COVID! But I feel better and resumed my pipe. I am taking it slow and enjoying my recent smoke. Nicotine is something to get use to. Having never smoked in 60 years, I am a bit late to the game. But I am glad to move slow (and reminded to keep moving slow by good people on this blog). I'm trying to figure out the eating before and, I believe, after. Some mention chocolate. I drink plenty of water as well. I'll keep you all posted on the art of the pipe. Thank you new friend.