PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Scotchman

Lurker
Nov 20, 2023
Kent, UK
Good evening gents,

Thought I'd share my first attempt.

I've been spending a few weeks reading up on this lovely hobby. Everything about it appeals to me - slowing down, enjoying a smoke, the ties to history and tradition, the learning curve, the many facets to explore.

However, all that research didn't prepare me for my first smoke.

Got all my paraphernalia and triple stuffed some Peterson's Sherlock Holmes into my cheap B&M briar. Charred it with a match. Let it go out. But the relight... I've never tasted such a nasty ashy mouthful.

I'm not sure what I did wrong. My best guess is the tobacco was too moist, I puffed too quickly, or I burnt the hell out of the pipe itself.

I had to dump the contents and run a pipe cleaner through it. Just checked it 20 minutes ago and the pipe still smells like an ashtray.

Does anyone have any pointers?

I'm going to have another go when I get a chance this weekend. I'm determined to persevere and learn!

Last edited by a moderator:

reloader

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Southern, NM
Its hard to get everything right the first time around, especially if there isn't an experienced pipe smoker around to show you how its done. You'll get the hang of it in no time. Drier tobacco is better, a lighter pack is better to start and you don't need to get the tobacco lit the first time. You can always take a few puffs and then put another match or soft flame to it and gently puff to get it going again. Happy puffing.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Yes to everything reloader said. Do not push the tobacco hard. The first light is the charing light. Tobacco will rise up and expand. It will go out. Then lightly tamp it...just super light. Then relight. It may take a few times. Dont torch it or your mouth. Take your time and get it lit.

Let me add. The word tamp isnt quite right. The word tends to imply force. You are really just lightly compressing the tobacco. Airflow is your friend. So take it easy.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scotchman

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Just relax and try it again. The learning curve we keep talking about is a real thing. Remember to dry your tobacco, don't fill your bowl so tightly, and most importantly slow the cadence of smoking. For some of us it took years to learn this.

Reactions: FLDRD and Scotchman

hall222

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2023
Same thing happened to me. Took awhile (4 or 5 months) to get dialed in. Once you do it's all good from there.

MattRVA

Lifer
Feb 6, 2019
Richmond Virginia
It’s a process and welcome to the club, we’ve all been there. Just take it easy and persevere. Your taste will develop over time as your technique improves, then you will know what blends you like and which ones you don’t, which blends work for you and the ones that don’t. Pack light, tamp infrequently, slow down.

lupy1234

Might Stick Around
Jul 3, 2023
I have had a few pipes that produced that flavor/taste. Take your time and try again a few more times. If still same taste, go to your B&M and find a used pipe if they have a selection. You won't need that break in period. I went on a road trip forgot my pipe and went to Boswell's and got a used one. Works great and no need to break it in.

Scotchman

Lurker
Nov 20, 2023
Kent, UK
Have you smoked any tobacco before? If not, your palate isn't ready for it. It's very possible from a beginner who hasn't had tobacco before to think everything about pipe tastes like an ashtray. How to help with that? Smoke cheaper stuff until you get your bearing. Try English blend. Latakia is uniquely not tobacco like.
It's my first experience with tobacco. I suppose my greenness has shone right through. Thank you for the advice. I've got two English samples coming in the mail :)

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I would start with a codger blend like sir Walter Raleigh, half and half, or sir Walter Raleigh. Lightly FILL the pipe. Don’t necessarily PACK the pipe. Light once and smoke until it goes out. Gently tamp down, light again and enjoy. The slower the better and don’t worry about relights. You want to make sure you give it a really good light when you light it up the second time so that you have a good ember going.