PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
Ok, here it is. Me and the wife worked on this together, it was a lot of fun making it and I really enjoy the finished pipe.
6696019833_40358ddcfa.jpg

We started with a large pre-drilled Plateaux. The bowl was very narrow, roughly about 1/4" so I took the dremel and enlarged it a bit. It now funnels from 3/4" at the top to the original 1/4 at the bottom.

6696016361_d2ecb87816.jpg

I had some issues with the stem. The short stem that came with it looked just, terrible. I had another stem, a saddle that I intended to use in it's place. In the end though, I decided to cannibalize the Churchwarden "Forever Stem" from my CobWarden. I think the size of the stummel called for a larger stem, and the shape lends itself to a "lounge" pipe that you can pivot around with your wrist while relaxing, rather than a short pipe you have to move your whole arm to use.
The Mortise was drilled funny, in a funnel shape that narrowed down to where it met the bowl. This created an odd chamber and made the pipe gurgle. I drilled the existing mortise in a bit with a 5/16 drill bit, creating a space in the mortise large enough to fit a filter. The smoke was MUCH improved by this, and I think I will be using filters in future homemade pipes as well.

6696018071_0b388ec6d7_z.jpg

6696027033_7da5b4b3a2_z.jpg

6696021779_e26b524352_z.jpg

We decided on the shape kinda as we went. We originally planned more of a horn shape, but as we went along the grain and the feel of the pipe in general inspired some changes. The finished pipe is fairly unusual in size and shape, but to me it feels right.

6696160665_0ded2f406d_z.jpg

6696161833_db8e6b99ba_z.jpg

There was a very large, and nasty looking blemish in the wood. It had the appearance of a huge crack in the stummel. We considered a few different methods of hiding it, but decided in the end that the grain on the pipe was too nice for even partial rustication. The thorn vines adorning the pipe were my wife's idea, which covered the blemish wonderfully as well as adding a touch of style that works very well with the shape and color scheme.

6696162121_047bc82dc0_z.jpg

6696014667_913bcc74be_z.jpg

Alright guys, what do you think? Be honest, it's our first pipe and we would appreciate criticism that might help on the next one.

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
I think that it is absolutely terrific. I really like the freehands, and your comments on all the "upgrades" make it all the more interesting. Nice job.

cesconable

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
Virginia
That is an incredible looking pipe. Makes me really want to carve one of my own out. I can't imagine a better pipe than one you have created yourself. Great job man.

pipeinhand

Lifer
Sep 23, 2011
Virginia
Perfect, I love the thorns. The stem fits the pipe, thin going into the strong, lovely. The shading is just right, if you hadn't said you did it, I would have thought Nording.
Well done sir, and lass. :worship:

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
Thanks everyone, for the compliments.
My wife doesn't smoke, so I'll be the one using it. I got a bowl of Morto Dolce in it right now in fact, breaking it in.
I can't wait to get started on the next one.

pentangle

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 21, 2011
Genova-Italy
well done my friend :D .Take care to leave about 0,20 inch of thickness in any part of the bowl,otherwise the pipe first or last will burns

oakbear

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2011
UK
I love the job you've done, that's a great shape and inspired on the thorns.

You've clearly put a lot of thought into getting the best from the wood, and it shows.

kf5eqv

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 6, 2011
Oklahoma
It draws great. Nice, thick draw, not choked down like on some pipes, but not TOO strong either. Hard to describe a pull through a pipe, never really had to before.
The smoke is dry with the filter I added, and aside from being a bit harsh breaking it in, is pleasant. It's an excellent pipe for tobaccos with lots of rich smoke.
I've only been smoking Molto Dolce and another "house blend" aromatic so far, but I think the airway might be a little too "free" for some of the harsher stuff. I don't really know yet though. Sorry if my explanation doesn't help.

nwgibson85

Lurker
Jan 12, 2012
I love this pipe! Seriously the shape along with the thin stem works wonderfully. A very natural almost floral shape. Glad to see the thin carving.
I am so going to get a kit now, and my ceramic pipe will end up being rather whimsical.
http://ims1.ballofdirt.com/view/d10fc400169cb0df23173e3fec78b651d9a717cacb40e9d6e7db0ea94104409a5b040d78b67fb3e9760fa87bdaa587f8dbbe0ff1219acd66
after looking at this flower I realize that it does not look much like your pipe, but it is the first image that came to mind when I saw your pipe.

hnryclay

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2012
I agree with flyfishn hard to have too free a draw for me, the reason I asked was I am curious as to the effect of that long stem on the draw of the pipe, and how everything lined up. Sounds like you did a great job. Hope you enjoy the pipe!

smokindawg

Can't Leave
May 25, 2011
Nice work for a first. Keep at it, but be warned........... Pipe making can be very addicting once you've made and smoked your first. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.