PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Hey everyone! My very first meer arrived the other day an AKB gently canted billiard. Having my first smoke (some Old gowrie) from it and I must say, it's a very different experience than that of a briar. It's so "pure". Maybe a little too pure, dare I say. The taste of briar seems to add a dimension to the tobacco smoke that I have come to really appreciate. I gotta say though, really enjoying it so far!8994D11B-94FD-46B4-A6A4-A93D54BB77D2.jpeg

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
Yep, definitely a different experience. I like how dry they smoke. And the smooth plain shaped ones like yours are also my favourite.

But really, socks with Birkenstocks? What sort of hippie nonsense is this? And in November!
Yeah that's pretty embarrassing. They are my "house slippers" and I add the socks once the temps dip into the negatives
?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I was given my first and only Meer by the venerable late great fish'n'banjo, a member here on Forums. What I notice most about it are the clarity and definition of flavors. I agree that briar (and cobs, and Mountain Laurel for that matter) lend a certain dimension to a blend, but it's hard to beat the Meer for giving you the essence of a blend. I like your canted billiard a lot. Mine is a straight billiard with wine grape etchings.

Jun 23, 2019
If I ever come across a morta pipe, I will be very tempted to have it. I don't see them often

Take a peak at Chris Askwith (if only to exercise your eye balls and window shop a little bit) he does some stunning 'classic English' shapes with morta.

You'd be surprised how many of the "big name" indie pipe makers we love on the forums will make a morta pipe every now and again. (I guess likewise with meerschaum too)

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I keep staring at it every puff, hoping to catch a glimpse of amber ?
The amber is just the wax discoloring from the warmth of handling and tge heat of smoking. If you store a meer for long periods, that color will fade. Keep an eye out for an ashy colored spot on the heel as that's where the internal coloring begins. That will darken and spread across the pipe.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
The amber is just the wax discoloring from the warmth of handling and tge heat of smoking. If you store a meer for long periods, that color will fade. Keep an eye out for an ashy colored spot on the heel as that's where the internal coloring begins. That will darken and spread across the pipe.
I'm pretty excited to see what a few years will bring to this thing. I'm the same with leather. I love a good patina from use. This was my wallet when it was first made, and then 8 years later.
B89A00E1-97E6-428D-AB1F-21C820861761.pngF95843C0-3D79-4F45-A8F6-6993D7A95FA6.jpeg