PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

OldWill

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 9, 2022
Blanco, Texas
IMG_20220329_124925.jpgI don't know how many diehard fishermen are on this forum, but now that its trout season, I am posting a pic of my fly fishing gear.
A 1980s vintage Pete System that I have added a secure but removable lanyard to. Also, I carry a makeshift tamper that floats if I drop it.
I often relight/tamp in midstream.
Im sure there are many better ones out there, so I'm interested in yours. Thanks!

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
or you could afix the pipe to your person. Like a pocket watch type thing.
Though when I read the title I was imagining a hybrid fishing rod/smoking pipe. I guess it would be a church warden type thing and need a cap to keep from dumping every time you cast. Also means you need a fishing buddy with hands or at least one hand (the dog can't light your pipe, once they figure out how to work a lighter they go straight pyro.)

leonardbill1

Lifer
May 21, 2017
Denver, CO
I've used a 70s GBD Sable pot with a saddle bit for at least the last 20 years. If my vest wasn't buried in the basement I'd dig it out at attach a photo. Attaching a photo from the internet to show the finish. Based on the stamping on "The Anglers Pipe" I should probably be using it but I like it too much to take out on the water.

004-003-3069.jpegIMG_0482.jpgIMG_0483.jpg

blackpowderpiper

Dec 19, 2018
Middle Tennessee
I'm with Warren and Brock, my hunting/fishing/outdoor adventure pipes are almost exclusively cobs. I love the way they smoke and if I did lose one I wouldn't feel too bad. I do like how you attached a lanyard to your Peterson. I have always liked the look of some of the Boswell "fishing" pipes but just can't justify taking a nice briar out into the water. Cobs work just fine for me.

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
I don't fly fish. I fish out of a boat with rod & reels. I usually carry one or two cobs with me for smoking while fishing. (Don't smoke a pipe while the boat is running over trolling speeds, they will burn out.)

I have dropped a cob or two in the water by accident, but have always been able to scoop them up with a net and let them dry in the sun. That's why I take two with me.

trudger

Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
I quite often find myself swimming with the fishes while wading. The ultimate water flush for my pipe if it’s in my mouth. I do not bring my expensive pipes but I always bring great smokers.

Reactions: Latakia Dave

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I used to have a Boswell fishing pipe with the lanyard. I got rid of it when I ripped it out of my mouth when setting the hook on a red salmon. My arm caught the lanyard and pulled the pipe right out of my mouth. Nowadays I just use cobs, and carry one briar in the backpack for around the campfire.