Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

marlow-se

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 14, 2022
Sweden
Title edited for caps. Rule 9, please. -jpm.

Also, it's good grammar to write "five" instead of the number. This rule ends at
"9."

Instead of slowing down on the pipe hoarding which was the plan PAD took over and I bought my first (five) Parker pipes. A couple of them need some work but I'm happy with these.

The upper two are from the post patent period when they still stamped the size group. The next two below are patent era from 1954 if I'm not mistaken and the bottom one is from 1947. The fourth from the top is unsmoked.

Parker 1c.jpg

Parker 2c.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have only one Parker bought new about eight years ago, a poker. It's been a good pipe, a lot of chamber with not much weight,, compact without being miniature. That's a nice array of pipes, a whole rotation if you were so disposed.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Dear Mods: You wrote, “Also, it's good grammar to write "five" instead of the number. This rule ends at
"9."

That is a matter of debate. Are you using the Chicago Manuel, APA, or some other style.

I recommend that you chose a a grammar style and publish the name of your style in the directions for starting a thread.

I am a stickler for using apostrophes correctly for singular possessive nouns, but I doubt that the correct rule is applied by this forum when guidance is give by the Chicago Manuel of Style or APA.

Lets have some fun. Punctuate correctly the following: Have you seen Mrs. Jones car?

@jpmcwjr

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think it was Cup 'O Joes that used to sell both Parker and Hardcastle brands new. Iwan Ries had Hardcastle pipes with copper bands for forty bucks about ten years ago. I don't think they market them much in the U.S. these days.

Dec 3, 2021
Pennsylvania & New York
Dear Mods: You wrote, “Also, it's good grammar to write "five" instead of the number. This rule ends at
"9."

That is a matter of debate. Are you using the Chicago Manuel, APA, or some other style.

I recommend that you chose a a grammar style and publish the name of your style in the directions for starting a thread.

I am a stickler for using apostrophes correctly for singular possessive nouns, but I doubt that the correct rule is applied by this forum when guidance is give by the Chicago Manuel of Style or APA.

Lets have some fun. Punctuate correctly the following: Have you seen Mrs. Jones car?

@jpmcwjr
I generally use Chicago Manual of Style when I typeset novels or design CD packages, but, at my 9 to 5 gig we use AP. CMoS calls for lower case prepositions in titling regardless of word length—other house styles require capitals for prepositions four letters or longer. For most books I've worked on, when typesetting numbers below 100, they get spelled out.

Your punctuation test would differ depending on which house style was being applied. CMoS would call for "Jones's."

• Love
Reactions: telescopes

telescopes

I generally use Chicago Manual of Style when I typeset novels or design CD packages, but, at my 9 to 5 gig we use AP. CMoS calls for lower case prepositions in titling regardless of word length—other house styles require capitals for prepositions four letters or longer. For most books I've worked on, when typesetting numbers below 100, they get spelled out.

Your punctuation test would differ depending on which house style was being applied. CMoS would call for "Jones's."
Precisely. which is why any forum such as this needs to have a style guide to reference and provide consistent guidance. Well stated.

telescopes

The role of an apostrophe in showing possession should be just that and not act in a manner to create a contraction - a separate function to be sure. The role of the extra s that follows the apostrophe is to create the extra sound that denotes the additional syllable created. Jones is one syllable. Jones’s has two syllables. Her name is Jones, not Jone. ‘S denotes a singular noun showing possession. fwiw

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
The role of an apostrophe in showing possession should be just that and not act in a manner to create a contraction - a separate function to be sure. The role of the extra s that follows the apostrophe is to create the extra sound that denotes the additional syllable created. Jones is one syllable. Jones’s has two syllables. Her name is Jones, not Jone. ‘S denotes a singular noun showing possession. fwiw
I like cooking my family and pets.