Monster Hunter International - Larry Corriea
The Dresden Files - Jim Butcher
Jed Horn Supernatural Thrillers - Peter Nealen
The Harrison Peel series - David Conyers

makhorkasmoker

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 17, 2021
Central Florida
I’m actually pleasantly surprised at how many legit answers the OP is getting. I figured there’d be way more “older books are more better because classics were written when people could write good 70 years ago so I only read old books and people aren’t good at being creative anymore.”
I hear you. I agree. That said, since 2000, more and more publishers are owned by fewer and fewer conglomerates. An increasingly small number people determine what is published, what is promoted--what gets seen, reviewed, talked about, read. There is also, arguably, a kind of homogenization going on. All of this reduces a reader's real choices nowadays, or at least it makes finding real choices difficult. I try pretty hard to find novels that I like written by people who are alive and well and working today, but increasingly my finds are in the peripheries--and rare.

Reactions: brooklynpiper

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Not a novel, but "The Splendid And The Vile" - about England and Churchill during the blitz was a darn good read.

I've read several novels published since the clock turned, and among those probably have a couple favorites, but nothing all that noteworthy, just fun reads but I have so many unread books on the shelves even pre-2000 I haven't gotten to yet, whether classics or "recent" that this just reminds me I need to find more time to read.

Sputnik Sweetheart by Haruki Murakami
A Tale for the Time Being by Ruth Ozeki
The Nakano Thrift Shop by Hiromi Kawakami
Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver
Talk Talk by T.C. Boyle\

Right now I am finding Japanese fiction to be amazing. The list would have been all Japanese writers, but I thought that Kingsolver and Boyle deserved a mention.

• Love
Reactions: Winnipeger

jaingorenard

Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
Just off the top of my head:

Maps for Lost Lovers - Nadeem Aslam
A Gentleman in Moscow - Amor Towles
The Prague Cemerery - Umberto Eco
Atomised - Michel Houellebecq
A Horse Walks Into A Bar - David Grossman

I'm sure there are others I liked as much (or maybe even more), but these are the ones that come to mind.

Reactions: serpentx

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Life Of Pi - Yann Martel
No Country For Old Men - Cormac McCarthy
The Buried Giant - Kazuo Ishiguro
The Ancient Minstrel - Jim Harrison (novellas)
Lincoln In The Bardo - George Saunders

This is a good thread for reference. I don't read a lot of contemporary authors. Lots of good suggestions here.

Last edited:
Reactions: cosmicfolklore

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
The Buried Giant - Kazuo Ishiguro
He's an absolutely outstanding author. I almost put The Buried Giant on my list but the ending just left me a bit unsatisfied. I just finished The Remains of the Day by Ishiguro and you may like that one if you haven't read it already. If it had been a 21st century novel I would've included it on my list but it came out in 1989. It's about a butler in mid 20th century England and I love all of the double negatives he uses in his speech. It's such a quintessentially early 20th century English manner of speaking. 'A not insignificant amount of dust atop the trophy cabinet left me perturbed.' Or 'Although his lordship was not inconsiderate to her ladyship in the least, I found his countenance to be quite somber as they discussed their afternoon activities over tea.' You just can't help but read sentences like that in an English accent haha.

jaingorenard

Apr 11, 2022
Norwich, UK
He's an absolutely outstanding author. I almost put The Buried Giant on my list but the ending just left me a bit unsatisfied. I just finished The Remains of the Day by Ishiguro and you may like that one if you haven't read it already. If it had been a 21st century novel I would've included it on my list but it came out in 1989. It's about a butler in mid 20th century England and I love all of the double negatives he uses in his speech. It's such a quintessentially early 20th century English manner of speaking. 'A not insignificant amount of dust atop the trophy cabinet left me perturbed.' Or 'Although his lordship was not inconsiderate to her ladyship in the least, I found his countenance to be quite somber as they discussed their afternoon activities over tea.' You just can't help but read sentences like that in an English accent haha.
I loved the Buried Giant, I think I preferred it to Remains of the Day honestly!

Nocturnes, his book of short stories, is really good.

Winnipeger

Lifer
Sep 9, 2022
Winnipeg
Same as @jaingorenard I preferred The Buried Giant to The Remains Of The Day.

Since we're mentioning pre-21st C books that would liked to have been included, I was also going to add:

Disgrace by J.M. Coetzee;

but it came out in 1999.

Reactions: jaingorenard

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I’m not surprised both of yall preferred buried giant to the remains of the day @jaingorenard @Winnipeger They were both great books and it really is just about what you prefer. I just personally love how singularly focused the story was in remains of the day. It was almost a case study. I also loved how you could almost never tell whether or not the butler was telling the truth about his employer and how unreliable he was as a narrator.