PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

quietlife

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2022
Hey everyone!

I am unfortunate enough to live in dystopian California. Only to make it worse, Prop 31, flavored tobacco ban is on the ballot these midterms. I know Massachusetts has passed a ban and people can't get certain aromatics and things, however I do not know much about it.

Does anyone live in a state with a similar ban? How restrictive is it? Am I forever screwed with getting the big tobacco dealer sites to send me tobacco? Wondering how broad laws like this are...even non-aromatics have flavor profiles on their tins and things. Does this effect me getting something like Orlik Golden Sliced because it mentions citrus and orange on the tin?

This may be my last straw...I may need to finally leave.

Thanks guys!

Joel

Reactions: Servant King

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Prop 31, flavored tobacco ban is on the ballot these midterms
Were I you, I'm not, I'd be reading the Prop you may be living under instaed of worrying about what has happened in other states and then rally a large bloc of voters to defeat Prop 31. Of course that all should have started months ago. May be too late for this voting cycle.

Where will you be relocating? I'd suggest some state that still relies on tobacco farming and such for moneys.:ROFLMAO: But, only if smoking is the most important thing in your life.

Reactions: vosBghos

quietlife

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 24, 2022
This is California, there is no way it won't pass, but I'll do what I can.

It's not the most important thing, but its just another restriction on top of 100 others

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
When I started smoking, back in the 50's, the handwriting was already on the wall. Prices were only going to rise (taxes, inflation and such), there is no valid reason to take up tobacco except selfishness, and the Cancer Society had all the medical ammunition it needed for success. Society has made its choice and we are on the outside looking in as the world passes us by. I accept all that and simply enjoy my wee vice without trying to fight the tide. Life is good and my pipe is smoldering away as I type. The pipe is a joy but, in the broad scheme of life, fairly unimportant.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Poor dystopian California. Just went from 5th largest economy on the planet to 4th largest economy on the planet. Still, they have screwed up mightily with housing affordability, the bullet train to nowhere, and water management amongst them.
But then again, every state screws up and at least California hasn't called on its citizens to become rats and snitches like some pseudo Stalinist dystopia.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Hey everyone!

I am unfortunate enough to live in dystopian California. Only to make it worse, Prop 31, flavored tobacco ban is on the ballot these midterms. I know Massachusetts has passed a ban and people can't get certain aromatics and things, however I do not know much about it.

Does anyone live in a state with a similar ban? How restrictive is it? Am I forever screwed with getting the big tobacco dealer sites to send me tobacco? Wondering how broad laws like this are...even non-aromatics have flavor profiles on their tins and things. Does this effect me getting something like Orlik Golden Sliced because it mentions citrus and orange on the tin?

This may be my last straw...I may need to finally leave.

Thanks guys!

Joel
The specifics are easy to find. California doesn’t have some other state’s laws on the ballot.

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
So, if you live in California I would read the proposed prop 31. The below information took 15 minutes to find and read.

(b) (1) A tobacco retailer, or any of the tobacco retailer’s agents or employees, shall not sell, offer for sale, or possess with the intent to sell or offer for sale, a flavored tobacco product or a tobacco product flavor enhancer.

“Loose leaf tobacco” consists of cut or shredded pipe tobacco, usually sold in pouches, excluding any tobacco product which, because of its appearance, type, packaging, or labeling, is suitable for use and likely to be offered to, or purchased by, consumers as tobacco for making cigarettes, including roll-your-own cigarettes.

(e) Subdivision (b) does not apply to loose leaf tobacco or premium cigars.

So it would appear that this will not affect pipe tobacco.

Reactions: Servant King

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
So, if you live in California I would read the proposed prop 31. The below information took 15 minutes to find and read.

(b) (1) A tobacco retailer, or any of the tobacco retailer’s agents or employees, shall not sell, offer for sale, or possess with the intent to sell or offer for sale, a flavored tobacco product or a tobacco product flavor enhancer.

“Loose leaf tobacco” consists of cut or shredded pipe tobacco, usually sold in pouches, excluding any tobacco product which, because of its appearance, type, packaging, or labeling, is suitable for use and likely to be offered to, or purchased by, consumers as tobacco for making cigarettes, including roll-your-own cigarettes.

(e) Subdivision (b) does not apply to loose leaf tobacco or premium cigars.

So it would appear that this will not affect pipe tobacco.

What’s so galling about these things, is they fall down hard on the poor guy, burying his menthol cigarettes and flavored cigars, and a package of cheap beer and a few lottery tickets, and spare all us old gray haired pipe and premium cigar smokers.

The do gooders that try to preserve us from our own vices can afford to.

Fifty years ago, my father had died, leaving my mother our only support with her school teaching position at Fair Play.

Her pay was $700 a month.

I had a quarter for a pack of Have A Sweets, and stared at those Punch Double Corona dollar cigars and thought maybe someday, after college.

The sonsabitches that nanny the poor boys who can’t afford much, are destroying public support for the most critical domestic program any government must do, which is public education.

The only answer to relieving poverty is public education.

The forces of ignorance rejoice every time the public oppresses the poor for their own good, as that adds converts to their cause.

Reactions: Epip Oc'Cabot

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
What’s so galling about these things, is they fall down hard on the poor guy, burying his menthol cigarettes and flavored cigars, and a package of cheap beer and a few lottery tickets, and spare all us old gray haired pipe and premium cigar smokers.

The do gooders that try to preserve us from our own vices can afford to.

Fifty years ago, my father had died, leaving my mother our only support with her school teaching position at Fair Play.

Her pay was $700 a month.

I had a quarter for a pack of Have A Sweets, and stared at those Punch Double Corona dollar cigars and thought maybe someday, after college.

The sonsabitches that nanny the poor boys who can’t afford much, are destroying public support for the most critical domestic program any government must do, which is public education.

The only answer to relieving poverty is public education.

The forces of ignorance rejoice every time the public oppresses the poor for their own good, as that adds converts to their cause.
Just put premium on all those flavored cigars like Dutch Masters and problem solved.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
This is California, there is no way it won't pass, but I'll do what I can.

It's not the most important thing, but its just another restriction on top of 100 others
Bloomberg tossed in $29m to get it passed, what are you going to do? ;) If it isn't important why talk about moving?

You should be able to put away enough of what you like before it passes and before it becomes effective (assuming it applies to pipe tobacco in CA) to last for decades. ✌️

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
I lee[ writing that. If you want to enjoy luxuries ... you need the income. Decide the lifestyle you'd enjoy and educate yourself to attain it. The say money can't buy happiness. Well if your happiness must include tobacco, money will indeed purchase "happiness."