PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
Recently I began to notice that my daily driver of McClelland Va blends has lost its smoking characteristics. I’m no longer experiencing the characteristic sweetness that I enjoy from blends. I wouldn’t say it’s sour, but it’s definitely changed.

When I got this pipe several months ago it was ghosted a touch. I did a light cleaning with everclear dipped pipe cleaners down the mortise. Also a light sanding of the chamber to remove any cake that might have built up. So I repeated the process, and it doesn’t seem to have worked this go around. I’ve smoked it for over a month, and the tobacco isn’t shining like it once did.

This is a filtered meerschaum pipe, in case anyone didn’t notice what sub forum this is. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
Meerschaum pipes ghost more than any other pipe in my experience. I only smoke burley blends so ghosting isn't an issue with me. However sometimes the pipes get funky. All it takes is a nice warm water flush for a 20-30 seconds with the pipe assembled. In the bowl, out the stem. Then a pipe cleaner or two in the shank and bowl. Then Let it dry for an hour or so. I don't drink alcohol, and while others say you can't taste it after cleaning, I still wouldn't want to do that. Just warm water.

Non-Mentholated Black Man

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 4, 2024
Where Texas Began
Sparkleen 1 (Fisherbrand)

A mild solution of Sparkleen 1 (1/4 teaspoon to 1 cup of water) and a few pipe cleaners is enough to thoroughly clean every pipe that you own.
Do not use on the exterior finish of briar pipes and thoroughly rinse the inside of your pipe(s) with water after cleaning.

Note:
Sparkleen 1 is sold as a laboratory glassware/equipment detergent.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Recently I began to notice that my daily driver of McClelland Va blends has lost its smoking characteristics. I’m no longer experiencing the characteristic sweetness that I enjoy from blends. I wouldn’t say it’s sour, but it’s definitely changed.
The more a tin or jar is opened, the more air it's exposed to. You lose something each time.