PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

crusader

Can't Leave
Aug 18, 2014
Nebraska
Your Mom knew what's up!!

The few times as a kid that I fished on the bay side of various barrier islands in NJ I think flounder or fluke were the only things I caught. I wrongly believed up until a few months ago that fluke was the same as flounder but a fish monger set me straight.

Also, I'd take most any crab over lobster any day.
The summer flounder or fluke is a flounder just like bluefin tuna is a tuna. Fluke overlap with other flounder species but are usually found in the mid-Atlantic while southern and gulf flounder inhibit the waters to the south and winter flounder are further north.
Captain Experiences Fishing Charters & Deep Sea Fishing - https://captainexperiences.com › blog

Reactions: Zero
V

varrj

Can’t say I remember ever having flounder, but will look for it now. I’ve recently found a love for sardines though. Incredibly healthy with as much variety (and stackable tins) as pipe tobacco.

As for trusted brands, reach for Portugal's Bela and Nuri for particularly high-quality sardines. Other high-brow brands like California-based Wild Planet and Matiz Sardines also offer solid options. But generic, more low-cost brands are nothing to sneer at. Beach Cliff and Season are common brands you can find at the grocery store that still sport quality taste.

If you're looking for sardines with a more flavorful punch, look for ones packed in sauces or aromatics. Sardines infused with lemon, hot sauce, or tomato sauce are typical, but you can also find some with mustard or harissa paste. For the novice, start with the simple oil-packed sardine and work your way up to these more complex cans.

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
Can’t say I remember ever having flounder, but will look for it now. I’ve recently found a love for sardines though. Incredibly healthy with as much variety (and stackable tins) as pipe tobacco.

As for trusted brands, reach for Portugal's Bela and Nuri for particularly high-quality sardines. Other high-brow brands like California-based Wild Planet and Matiz Sardines also offer solid options. But generic, more low-cost brands are nothing to sneer at. Beach Cliff and Season are common brands you can find at the grocery store that still sport quality taste.

If you're looking for sardines with a more flavorful punch, look for ones packed in sauces or aromatics. Sardines infused with lemon, hot sauce, or tomato sauce are typical, but you can also find some with mustard or harissa paste. For the novice, start with the simple oil-packed sardine and work your way up to these more complex cans.
Sardines make a great snack or light lunch, on crackers or as a sandwich. Raw onion, mustard, and/or hot sauce fill out the meal.

I also like sardines in a puttanesca pasta. The kalamata olives and capers help make the sardine flavor "pop".

Reactions: varrj and Zero

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
I know I'm off topic, but Bumble Bee has a new wild caught tuna Applewood Smoke flavor that tastes pretty good to me. I'll add some sliced black olives and chopped onions to it. I was eyeballing the sardines last weekend at the grocery store, now I have some brands to look for, thanks👍 KIMG2039.JPG

Jul 26, 2021
Metro-Detroit
I know I'm off topic, but Bumble Bee has a new wild caught tuna Applewood Smoke flavor that tastes pretty good to me. I'll add some sliced black olives and chopped onions to it. I was eyeballing the sardines last weekend at the grocery store, now I have some brands to look for, thanks👍 View attachment 217464
Dollar Tree sells a variety of the Beach Cliff sardines (tomato, hot sauce, oil, mustard) for $1.25 a can. They also usually have smoked oysters and herring. I just can't bring myself to eat canned salmon.

Reactions: Zero

Zero

Lifer
Apr 9, 2021
Dollar Tree sells a variety of the Beach Cliff sardines (tomato, hot sauce, oil, mustard) for $1.25 a can. They also usually have smoked oysters and herring. I just can't bring myself to eat canned salmon.
Thanks for the reference. I can't bring myself to eat salmon out of a can either. I can eat some (only brand that I've tried) brands of salmon out of a pouch after I've added some side ingredients: ground black pepper, garlic powder, raw onions, and sliced black olives. Screenshot_20230420-201214~2.png

Last edited:
Reactions: The Amish Tyrant