PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
When I was first smoking the pipe back in 2009 (I stopped for a long time) I had no luck with the fold and stuff method. Of course I was not a member of forums like this to get good advice. Even still, I rub out and dry. Its just easer to me. Also, while its not on purpose, most the blends I currently enjoy are ready rubbed so its not an issue. I do remember (when I could get it) that most the popular UK flakes were wet and very thick. I imagine I would have enjoyed them more if I knew to rub them out.

revnatorade

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2024
North Florida
I rubbed some Seattle pipe club gentlemen vanilla out this morning and assumed it was dry enough, I was wrong. Numerous relights throughout the bowl. It wasnt terrible but sure wasn't enjoyable. I've tried taking coins and flakes rolling them up and smoking them and have had issues every time. From my experience, you've got to let them dry out.

May 2, 2018
Bucks County, PA
Fold & stuff sounds like a simple & easy way to smoke your 🍂. I often find this not to be the case especially if you desire smoking it sooner than later. I typically rub out my flakes and let them dry out for at least 15-30 minutes sometimes longer depending on the blend…Gawith flakes usually a bit longer. If I was you…I’d stick with what works and continue to rub it out. At least with that you’ll likely be satisfied. ☕

Searock Fan

Lifer
Oct 22, 2021
U.S.A.
I've got some flake that is almost fire proof and have experimented with packing. First I break it up very fine and fill the pipe 2/3 full. Then I top it off with another blend of similar flavor and finer cut that burns better. The top helps the bottom get going and it makes it burn better. At this point I'm just trying to use up the flake and am not worrying about being a purist. puffy

Reactions: steelarts

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I don't agree. Some flakes develop differently than ribbon or shag while aging and you can experience that difference, which I experience a more of a merging of the components, even if you rub it out and/or dry it.
And I Poo-Poo your disagreement!😁
Whilst as you rightly say, flakes can give you a different or better experience, even after rubbing out. For me the smoke is bettered still, by folding & stuffing. A 10/10 flake should give a 10/10 smoke, even after being thoroughly rubbed out. Folding & stuffing gives you a little bit more & ramps it up to 11/10.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I have really tried to employ the "fold and stuff" method but the gaps and pockets do not make for a pleasant smoke either. Even if dry....
Furthermore, the tamping process is less than efficient with the stuffed flakes, at least I have found it so. Seems some portions are needing to be tamped but the other side is very firm and hard and prevents the tamp.
You need to try some more.
If you’ve got ‘gaps & pockets’ then you obviously haven’t got enough tobacco in the chamber. Either that or you’re ‘stuffing’ with a limp wrist & in a gingerly fashion!

Get a small to medium sized billiard & just practice loading with a single flake to start with. Take it back out with your pipe knife/tool & get another flake & start again. A few flakes & you should have cracked it!

Choatecav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 19, 2023
Middle Tennessee
You need to try some more.
If you’ve got ‘gaps & pockets’ then you obviously haven’t got enough tobacco in the chamber. Either that or you’re ‘stuffing’ with a limp wrist & in a gingerly fashion!

Get a small to medium sized billiard & just practice loading with a single flake to start with. Take it back out with your pipe knife/tool & get another flake & start again. A few flakes & you should have cracked it!
Good advice and thanks.
I will practice it more and will pack with a "fervor."

Smoking Pipe402

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 8, 2023
Fairbury, NE
It’s hit or miss for me when it works out though it’s awesome. I have the best luck with my wider bowl pipes when I roll the flake smaller than the bowl and then let it expand into the bowl.

Reactions: steelarts

steelarts

Might Stick Around
Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it. I definitely think you’re right about the GH tobaccos. Today I tried the fold and stuff with Peterson Irish Flake. The flakes are cut to the perfect size so no guesswork here. One flake was enough for my Emerald 221 and bingo! It fitted perfectly. The flakes are a bit fragile I found so there might be a bit of guesswork in the future as to the amount to use as they break apart, but the length is perfect. Once I got it lit I had no problems keeping it alight. It relit easily every time I set the pipe aside because of the vitamin-n warnings from the baccy. It smoked easily right to the bottom of the bowl with just a tiny bit of dottle remaining. So, in conclusion, I’ll rub out the heavier flakes in the future I think but with things like the Irish Flake I’m definitely going to fold and stuff. IMG_1075.jpeg

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it. I definitely think you’re right about the GH tobaccos. Today I tried the fold and stuff with Peterson Irish Flake. The flakes are cut to the perfect size so no guesswork here. One flake was enough for my Emerald 221 and bingo! It fitted perfectly. The flakes are a bit fragile I found so there might be a bit of guesswork in the future as to the amount to use as they break apart, but the length is perfect. Once I got it lit I had no problems keeping it alight. It relit easily every time I set the pipe aside because of the vitamin-n warnings from the baccy. It smoked easily right to the bottom of the bowl with just a tiny bit of dottle remaining. So, in conclusion, I’ll rub out the heavier flakes in the future I think but with things like the Irish Flake I’m definitely going to fold and stuff. View attachment 310237
Good show!👍
Stick with it & you’ll find it’ll get better when you find what flakes work best for you & in which pipes.
After this thread I remembered one of Pearce’s old videos. Might be of interest to you & others who are getting to grips with flake.