ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Wow, fantastic race
Wonderfully challenging track
2 rain sessions - the great equalizer!

I thought Alonso might have a shot at overtaking Verstappen in the last few laps, nope.

This impressed me - a 2.2 second pit by Verstappen/RedBull (I believe they said that was the record.)

20230827_110620.jpg

I've been rooting for McLaren all season. Finally found the right hat, on sale for $22 at Fanatics today. Off my favorite race car of all time the M8D

1693150740235.jpeg

1693150477114.png

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My neighbor, who also owns the only garage who touches my personal vehicles (I primarily do my own work) is also the only F1 fan in my town (Ferrari). In book clearing from my home, I gave him these racing related tomes. I thought you race fans might be interested.

This went out of print in 2000, my buddy is a big Donahue fan, he was thrilled to get this.

1693153613843.jpeg

Sir Sterling Moss, we bumped into him and said hello Sir Sterling, he was incognito at a Watkins Glen vintage Grand Prix parade in town, and the race marshal that year. My brother and I ran to get our tickets/sharpie, returned, but he had disappeared. At the track, you could not get near him.

1693153676902.jpeg

Brian Redman signed this for me at a DC area race track (Summit Point). He had just finished a vintage race. I gave him the book, and said: can you sign it to "Al, the worlds biggest racing fan". He just signed Brian Redman and gave it back to me. Are all British race drivers humorless? (Black Jack Brabham on the cover)

1693153713563.jpeg

A book on my favorite race series. I met the author Pete Lyons at Watkins Glen, he was sitting with my other favorite author, Peter Egan (Cycle World Magazine - "Leanings" column and Road & Track column "Side Glances". I didn't own the book at the time.

1693153923687.jpeg

Jun 9, 2018
England
As usual, the rain made for an exciting race. The combination of Max and that Red Bull is unbeatable. The other teams are going to have to go some to beat them next year.

Congratulations to Max for equalling the record with 9 wins in a row.

Jun 9, 2018
England
Max joins some of the greats after making it 3 in a row. Unbeatable combination of an awesome car and an incredible driver. I wouldn't be surprised if he made it 4 in a row.

No major regulation changes next year mean the rest of the field have got a lot of catching up to do.

Reactions: FurCoat

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Is this where I come to voice my displeasure of what F1 is doing to Vegas?

No, this is only fans, okay.

Carry on.
I was wondering about that. With all the press The Sphere was getting, folks I follow, who have been there (including Kevin here) have all had to deal with the building of the F1 track. I always figured to the folks in Monaco, etc., hosting a race must be a real PITA to residents.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I was wondering about that. With all the press The Sphere was getting, folks I follow, who have been there (including Kevin here) have all had to deal with the building of the F1 track. I always figured to the folks in Monaco, etc., hosting a race must be a real PITA to residents.

It’s borderline ridiculous. If you have a business in the construction zone, your business is shut off from the world.

If you have a business that could view the race, and don’t pay for viewing rights, they are boarding up the windows.

The elevated walkways had a white film placed over them so you couldn’t watch the race for free, well people tore down the white film, then the white film was put back up. Then the while film was protected by fencing.

They still don’t know how employees are getting to work inside the track “island”

They were offering essentially extortion rates to view the race. Then that failed. They offered discounted tickets, that failed.

I’m sure the tourists are in for a surprise.

Oh, not to mention the culinary is extorting the hotels for a new contract or they’ll strike the week of the race.

BUT, none of this matters, the race will bring in so much money it’s almost unimaginable. Their will be so many private planes, they’ll have to fly in to Vegas, deliver their rich owners and then fly to Phoenix to wait until they are needed again. No room to park in Vegas or the surrounding areas.

Reactions: woodrow and jpmcwjr

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
It’s borderline ridiculous. If you have a business in the construction zone, your business is shut off from the world.

If you have a business that could view the race, and don’t pay for viewing rights, they are boarding up the windows.

The elevated walkways had a white film placed over them so you couldn’t watch the race for free, well people tore down the white film, then the white film was put back up. Then the while film was protected by fencing.

They still don’t know how employees are getting to work inside the track “island”

They were offering essentially extortion rates to view the race. Then that failed. They offered discounted tickets, that failed.

I’m sure the tourists are in for a surprise.

Oh, not to mention the culinary is extorting the hotels for a new contract or they’ll strike the week of the race.

BUT, none of this matters, the race will bring in so much money it’s almost unimaginable. Their will be so many private planes, they’ll have to fly in to Vegas, deliver their rich owners and then fly to Phoenix to wait until they are needed again. No room to park in Vegas or the surrounding areas.
This is an awful way to treat the locals especially when they have to put up with all the disruption and noise.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
This is an awful way to treat the locals especially when they have to put up with all the disruption and noise.
Unfortunately, these city courses are gaining favor. NASCAR held a street race in downtown Chicago this summer and despite tornado like weather, it was very successful.

Here in Baltimore, we had two Indy car races. The city footed the bill for the promoter, who stiffed them, twice, before dropping the race (Indy car is NOT F1 by any stretch). I went to both races, both were a spectating disaster.

No race series draws crowds like F1, so I can see it being a problem.

Reactions: woodrow and jpmcwjr
Jun 9, 2018
England
Anyone looking forward to the Las Vegas GP? Max certainly isn't. I have to agree with him. It'll certainly be a spectacle, watching the cars go down the strip, but as for it being an exciting race? I'm not overly optimistic on that front. Hope i'm wrong though.