PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Jesse, do you think it's a replacement stem? Do you have one in your collection to show us?
I can't say for certain with these images. They're too dark to show if there's chamfering along the edge of the stem from the end of the saddle to the bit. Normally I'd be suspicious of any saddle that was longer than it is high. Most Barling saddles are close to being a square N-S, E-W, when seen in profile, and some are shorter than they are high. But I found catalog images of saddle stems with a longer distance from the join with the shank to where the saddle begins, forming more of a rectangle when seen from the side, so, so much for that theory. They're rare, but they do exist. What is curious is the inward taper along the sides of the stem before it flares out to the button. Typically the sides are straight to the button, or a gentle flare outward from the end of the saddle to the button, not an inward curve at the end of the saddle that then flares outward to the button. The curve of the saddle is a bit different as well, and some Barling saddles are a straight vertical drop. Exactly none of my pipes show an inward curve after the saddle. So it could be a replacement.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Well, this is interesting. No chamfer at the base of the tenon. That's suspicious, as is the inward step on the end of the tenon. Many Barlings show a step, but not like this.

Now that I think about it, there was a stem that did have an inward side taper before it flared outward, but that was only on a "bite proof" stem with two small airways that Barling offered, a "Denture" bit IIRC that was a special order advertised in the 1950's. I do have one like that, and it doesn't look like any of their standard stems.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com

Eye-level

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 12, 2021
Tulsa Oklahoma
To me it is obvious that someone smoked it all the time. Clean it up have a new stem made for it...I bet it would be nirvana level smoking. Nice find.

Reactions: scloyd

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Is that pitting or holes on this side? How would you go about filling them / smoothing them?

5zljh0.jpg

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
Is that pitting or holes on this side? How would you go about filling them / smoothing them?

5zljh0.jpg
The little whiteish spots is paint. As though someone painted a wall or ceiling and the pipe was in there mouth or on a rack. They come off easily with a light finger nail scratch.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I went back and purchased the unmarked briar pipe for $4.50. The only markings on the entire pipe is STERLING on the band, no other stamping.
20220106_143523.jpg
20220106_143312.jpg

The stummel has a face on it.
Does anybody else see Baby Groot?
20220106_143357.jpg

I haven't decided what to do with it. I'll probably give it away to someone who wants to clean it up. The stem is in bad shape.
20220106_143648.jpg

Reactions: J. B. Deller