PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It drives me crazy to lose basic items I pocket every day. Recently a single-blade Case pocket knife my wife gave me that I'd been carrying daily for about two years went missing. Since I collect pocket knives in a very general way, not expensive ones particularly, nothing rare, but still highly prized. So i've been carrying a little French Opinel with a simple lock and carbon steel blade.

Today changing the bedding, out drops the Case, kerplunk, on the floor. Hurrah! I still enjoy the Opinel and a variety of other similar knives ... a smaller Buck, a nifty Old Bear with carbon blade, and a variety of others. But like the prodigal son, it was a special treat to find my old friend that will go back to being my regular pocket knife. It's been everything I need with nothing extra, just what I like. It's my Amazon box opener and letter opener for mail, and a thousand other chores. How does anyone get along without one?

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I suspected the knife had slipped out of a shallow trouser pocket in the car and spent some time sliding the driver's seat back and forth trying to find it. Actually, I had already checked the bedclothes, thinking I had lost it catching a nap. When it finally turned up, it was right at the foot of the bed on my side, so it had migrated down the mattress.

I'd also dug around on my dresser top thinking it had gotten buried there.

When it finally dropped to the floor, it was like it had decided to reconnect.

Reactions: Reggie and JOHN72

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I suspected the knife had slipped out of a shallow trouser pocket in the car and spent some time sliding the driver's seat back and forth trying to find it. Actually, I had already checked the bedclothes, thinking I had lost it catching a nap. When it finally turned up, it was right at the foot of the bed on my side, so it had migrated down the mattress.

I'd also dug around on my dresser top thinking it had gotten buried there.

When it finally dropped to the floor, it was like it had decided to reconnect.

Daily carry of a pocket knife is kind of like daily smoking of a pipe.

Some of us still do those things, but it’s not any longer commonplace.

My father carried a pocket knife.

He’d buy an Imperial for a dollar or so and when he lost it, or it broke, he’d buy another.

He also owned a nice little Case my mother bought him to carry on Sundays.

I cannot count all my pipes and pocketknives.

Many are carbon steel, just because that’s cool, you know?

Stainless is far better, for daily use, although please don’t say I said that.:)

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
I hate loosing things. I can't stand it. I'll spend hours if I can't locate something, and usually find it, whatever it is. That's why I keep everything at certain locations that I always remember. Of course, if my wife cleans the house, I'm back to looking for things.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I like carbon blades because they seem to hold an edge better and sharpen more easily, but stainless steel is durable and looks good. My wife's best kitchen knives are carbon steel, whereas I happily make do with some Chicago kitchen knives I've had for years.

I like the weathered look carbon steel achieves. But the Case has a sturdy basic look to it that pleases me no end. It has a hefty blue handle that gives good control of the blade.

I remember getting my first pocket knives, one of which I still own, a Kamp King. I used to carry it to grammar school, something that would not be accepted today with the metal detectors. It was a measure of trust for a child to be entrusted with a knife by his dad or granddad. That and matches were the big rites of passage. Now I have to be careful to stow my pocket knife in the car if I need to go through security at a courthouse or emergency room, etc. Not usual, but the occasional errand or medical need.

Funny about losing things. My wife is much more prone to lose keys or a wallet than I am, so I am her finder. Sometimes I'm a wash, but often I can produce her lost items as if out of my sleeve, which pleases me greatly.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
My small , but fine collection of folding knives is stored in one of the two Compactum bedroom cupboards .
My EDC is a small, but razor sharp and very serviceable H&R Gutmann German made congress knife.
Sometimes when I'm in a fancy mood my H&R Bertram Germany CM-6 "coffin" one. Dead drop gorgeous and built like a tank.
Much older knives in like new condition, both with my favourite handle material ; Sambar stag antler. No Chinese rubbish.
Misplacing stuff gets me into a fit and I often find myself searching for things, once found not a clue about what I was searching them for at first consideration. So actually we do not search, we find :)

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Today changing the bedding, out drops the Case, kerplunk, on the floor. Hurrah
Today I learned that Tom sleeps with a knife. Good to know.

About a year ago I lost a watch, not an expensive one by any means, but one that had been with me through some very rewarding times of my life. I could not find it to save my life. I couldn't even *replace* it as the model was discontinued.

Then after about a month, it was found by my daughter under a sofa cushion.

I know how you are feeling!

Reactions: orlandofurioso
H

Hfinn

No pun intended, but that is a sharp knife. Where did you buy it?
It is really very sharp, I already managed to stick it once into the bend of the outer side of the index finger. But I won’t refuse the knife, I really liked it.

It was bought at a local hunting shop, you can look at their website here.

Reactions: pipenschmoeker123

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
It is really very sharp, I already managed to stick it once into the bend of the outer side of the index finger. But I won’t refuse the knife, I really liked it.

It was bought at a local hunting shop, you can look at their website here.

Thank you sir. That looks like a handy tool to take camping or on a boat.

Reactions: Hfinn

Model 29

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 23, 2021
pennsylvania
It drives me crazy to lose basic items I pocket every day. Recently a single-blade Case pocket knife my wife gave me that I'd been carrying daily for about two years went missing. Since I collect pocket knives in a very general way, not expensive ones particularly, nothing rare, but still highly prized. So i've been carrying a little French Opinel with a simple lock and carbon steel blade.

Today changing the bedding, out drops the Case, kerplunk, on the floor. Hurrah! I still enjoy the Opinel and a variety of other similar knives ... a smaller Buck, a nifty Old Bear with carbon blade, and a variety of others. But like the prodigal son, it was a special treat to find my old friend that will go back to being my regular pocket knife. It's been everything I need with nothing extra, just what I like. It's my Amazon box opener and letter opener for mail, and a thousand other chores. How does anyone get along without one?
The bedding is the first place I look. Often found a missing knife there

Reactions: mso489