PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
He's an old friend from high school that I see occasionally, maybe 5 or 6 times a year.

We met up with him and another friend so our kids could go trick or treating. When we got to his house, I saw him walking around failing this round metal object, that looked almost like a tin of pipe tobacco.

I asked him what he was holding, and he said "It's my Rainy Day pipe tobacco!" I got excited but tried to hold it in, mentioning that I had no idea he was a pipe smoker! And like real pipe tobacco made by Ashton even!

We all piled into his truck to head to the neighborhood, and he showed me his pipe... It was some cheap wood thing, that you'd find at a fair or something, with the draft hole in the center bottom of the chamber.

Trying not to discourage him, I said "oh hey that's neat!". ( atleast it's not a plastic pipe with a metal bowl I thought to myself.)

I pulled out the Kaywoodie from my pocket, and he wasn't too enthused. Haha.

Then we got to the area where the kids were going to start, and he pulled out his other pipe.

A plastic pipe with a metal chamber.....

But when the kids trick or treated, he smoked that other wooden pipe the whole time, and really seemed to enjoy it.

So my plan is to set him up with a care package, with a couple real pipes when I have the money. Maybe I'll buy him a Grabow or something. I have a red painted Grabow that I've been meaning to clean up. But I need to tread lightly in telling him that his pipes are....well...you know.

Any advice for me to help...uh...rehabilitate him??

Last edited:

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
I think an important facet is to get together more frequently for the purpose of one on one pipe smoking. That way you can really have in depth discussions on pipes and tobacco, and all related ephemera/principles.

Once he has a deeper understanding of the entire thing and perhaps a newfound appreciation for quality and why it's important - then he'll be open to and appreciative of pipe gifts.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I think an important facet is to get together more frequently for the purpose of one on one pipe smoking. That way you can really have in depth discussions on pipes and tobacco, and all related ephemera/principles.

Once he has a deeper understanding of the entire thing and perhaps a newfound appreciation for quality and why it's important - then he'll be open to and appreciative of pipe gifts.
I like this! I have had his contact info, and he lives on the other side of town. This is good thinking.

RudyG

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 25, 2023
New York
I belong to a cigar club and have introduced the pipe to quite a few members and all of them have switched over.

Their only complaint is the paraphernalia that goes with pipe smoking as opposed to cigars.

Agreed, but for me it is more a ritual that I enjoy. Takes me back to an easier time.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sounds like he's enjoying it already. I only had 3 pipes for about the first 15 years of smoking. During my visit to the post office yesterday, I found out the postmaster was smoking a pipe outside and a couple of hello nods were all that were exchanged.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Precisely the problem! He's obviously not sufficiently neurotic and obsessed.

He must become one of us!
My neat compulsion is starting to reign in. I need to get closer to where I started rather than where I've arrived. I chased the notion that different pipes smoked differently for decades because of B&M comments and found the idea sorely lacking.

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
I belong to a cigar club and have introduced the pipe to quite a few members and all of them have switched over.

Their only complaint is the paraphernalia that goes with pipe smoking as opposed to cigars.

Agreed, but for me it is more a ritual that I enjoy. Takes me back to an easier time.
Paraphernalia isn't that big a deal though, or doesn't have to be, none more needed than with cigars. Sure, you don't technically need a cutter, but a cutter and torch lighter for cigars... all you really need for a pipe (beyond the pipe itself) is a tamp and cleaners, and the tamp is arguably not necessary as long as you're willing to have a dirty finger. Even the pipe cleaners are arguably not strictly necessary if you use the hot water method.

All other pipe accoutrements are personal preferences, not necessities. Point is, it can be almost as simple as cigars.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I say leave’m alone. There’s a guy in Ocala that is never seen outdoors without a pipe in his hands. When I had the chance to speak with him I asked what make pipe he was smoking. His answer: “I don’t know. I have three pipes and this is one of them.” I went on to ask him which tobacco he preferred? His answer: “Oh! I just grab a pound of whatever the tobacco store (ie: vape shop) has. I’m currently liking the peach flavor they have in stock. I just love smoking a pipe!”
He took no notice of the high end artisan pipe I was smoking nor did he ask me any questions. I concluded that he was a happier and luckier pipe smoker than I am, and I let him be. When I see him these days, I simply give him a thumbs up. The lucky ba$tard!

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
My neat compulsion is starting to reign in. I need to get closer to where I started rather than where I've arrived. I chased the notion that different pipes smoked differently for decades because of B&M comments and found the idea sorely lacking.
That's where I'm at now too. Whittle down to a few good pipes.

I have enough meers to keep me going. While keeping my briars dry.

Reactions: Chasing Embers

Puffaluffaguss

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 30, 2021
The City Different
Sounds like we're just a bunch of social butterflys now ain't we. Maybe some day I'll talk to another pipe smoker at a pipe show or something but out in the wild I've maybe come across 2. 1 at the local B&M (got me by at least 40 years) but still had a good lil convo. The seconed was like seeing a bobcat in the wild at a 4th of July show. Just walked by with one of those crazy But'z pipes like painted Teflon or something (hideous).

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
That's what I'm afraid of. Exactly this.
It depends on the kinda person you are and how you’d come off in that kinda social situation. I’d be comfortable ribbing an acquaintance if his pipe was a POS but I’d do it in a tactful and funny way so that he would be laughing as opposed to feeling belittled. I’m also not exactly sure how close you are with him.