PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
$5.70 for six ounces, $10.50 per pound

Highly recommended for veteran pipe smokers. This is intense Five Brothers strength tobacco

IMG_7046.jpeg
IMG_7047.jpeg

Republic Brands is a major player in roll your own grade low price tobaccos.

They market Drum, Bali Shag, and Top straight up cigarette tobacco taxed at $25 a pound.

Then they make a raft of different brands of coarse ribbon cut pipe tobaccos including Gambler, High Card, Largo, Tin Star, and even Our Advertiser is listed although I’ve not seen it for years.

I tried a six ounce package of Four Aces Red, and when I fired it up in a Marxman my wife said wow, that smells really good, like maple syrup or something.

If you like Five Brothers, you should like Four Aces Red.

This has a lot of dark fired burley chewing tobacco in the blend.

There’s a delicious helping of flue cured bright leaf.

It is strong. There’s plenty of nicotine for the nicotine lover.

It’s sweet and moist. Probably flavored with high fructose corn syrup.

There’s no subtly about this blend.

It was designed to hook a roll your own smoker to the brand. It smells and tastes delicious, in a cigarrete.

But as an alternative to Five Brothers I’ve not yet tried a better low price tobacco for a pipe.

Tamp this down hard, and it burns cool and sweet.

This is as good as codger blends ever got. It reminds me of an industrial strength Half and Half without the coumarin.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Here we go again.

Last night my wife and I spent $32 on BBQ and I bought six ounces of tobacco with the change from two twenties.

I can’t possibly try out all the cheap pipe tobaccos, there are well over a hundred blends.

This one is different. It’s moist. The bag is much smaller than other brands. There’s flavorings, or something to make it sweet, and smell good. There’s burley and bright leaf both, in there.

Most of all there’s Five Brothers level kick to Four Aces Red.

Risk six dollars and see for yourself.:)

By the way, I never get bit, I’m such an addict.

But Four Aces is easy to smoke. There’s no bite or burn to it.

You need a high nicotine tolerance to enjoy it.

burleybreath

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2019
Finger Lakes area, New York, USA
“I can’t possibly try out all the cheap pipe tobaccos, there are well over a hundred blends.”

Sounds like an all hands on deck situation. Let’s go team, we gotta do this!
I'll vouch for Super Value Bourbon Whiskey. Been smoking it all week. (It ain't the price, I just like it.) That leaves what?...ninety-seven or so?

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I'll vouch for Super Value Bourbon Whiskey. Been smoking it all week. (It ain't the price, I just like it.) That leaves what?...ninety-seven or so?

Super Value Bourbon is twice the price of the truly bottom end blends.

The cheap smoke shops may have as many as fifteen or twenty premium value blends for about $20 for 12 ounces from two brands. It will be in one little spot.

The store I was at last night featured six double rows of shelves of cheap $10-12 a pound tobacco. There are over thirty brands I know of. Most have four flavors per brand, some five or six.

Four Aces Red is labeled 95% imported and 5% domestic. There’s Four Aces Red, Blue, Gold, Green (mint) and maybe Turkish.

A lot comes in one ounce, some in three ounce, all of them have a six ounce size, some a 12 ounce, all have a pound size, and the biggest stores carry five pound bags.

Four Aces Red is the first codger blend I’ve tried. It’s moist, flavored, and easy to smoke.

But rich as Five Brothers.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Found the perfect pipes for it!

View attachment 287325

Last night the clerk recommended me Four Aces Red, as a best seller. That’s why I bought it.

That five pack of tubes is $10.

Two pounds of Four Aces Red is about $21. It will fill a thousand smokes.

They have cheaper tobaccos, and more expanded tobaccos.

But Four Aces Red is about $6 a carton.

And I will say it makes a really good, full strength cigarrete.

But as pipe tobacco it’s on the Velvet, Prince Albert, Half and Half spectrum with lots of nicotine.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I just bought a pound of Four Aces Red at a local Tobacco Plus store, am stuffing it in my 3.99 + tax Missouri Meerschaum, & am happy. I like it alone & sometimes mixed with Super Value Black Cavendish.

The cardinal rule and prime directive for all sinful products is they must first, taste good. People won’t tolerate bad tasting products when they sin.

Old Crow bourbon is good stuff, and so is Bud Ice Beer. King Edward cigars taste good.

All the plastic pillow bag pipe tobaccos taste good. They’d not sell otherwise.

Think of paying two dollars and more a pound for raw materials, almost three dollars sin taxes, and then your product sells for ten dollars and change a pound beside dozens of competing products in a place where only sinful products are sold.

You’d make the best tasting shag you knew how to.:)

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Many of your previous posts are much more understandable now.

From what I understand today Old Crow is three year old Jim Beam White.

I’ve visited the distilleries around Bardstown, and there are these trucks full of grain going to a GREAT BIG BOOZE FACTORY and then other trucks haul away bottles of booze.

Same thing, different grains, at the GREAT BIG BEER FACTORY in St Louis.

If any modern bourbon or beer tasted really bad they’d not make it.

A pound of USDA graded tobacco is a pound of USDA graded tobacco. Period. It’s a commodity.

And before it can be smoked at all it must be aged.

The trick on the Red blends, is the flavorings and casings, (plus there’s more Kentucky dark fired to provide more nicotine).

Which also are generic FDA approved food grade additives.

It’s a money making business, or else.

huntertrw

Lifer
Jul 23, 2014
The Lower Forty of Hill Country
I wish that I could try this (it sounds wonderful), but unfortunately I have a low tolerance for nicotine. As cases-in-point, I've been walloped by Dunhill Nightcap (Murray's production) and Five Brothers, both of which left me dizzy, nauseous, and sweating profusely. The Nightcap was delicious, the Five Brothers was not.