PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
In my quest to find the ultimate hot chilli sauce I ordered four more new to me sauces with my last grocery delivery.

They were Frank's Red Hot Original Sauce, Frank's Buffalo Wings Sauce, Tingly Ted's Xtra Tingly Hot Sauce & Encona's Jamaican Scotch Bonnet Sauce.

First off the Frank's Original (39% cayenne peppers). Not at all hot and not particularly tasty but whatever taste there was was swamped by being way, way too salty. I'll probably just use this a bit at a time when I next make my chilli con carne just to use up the stuff. It will at least save me from adding any salt to the pan. 2/10.

Second up is Frank's Buffalo Wings (26% cayenne peppers). This was just as mild as the above but had more flavour and marginally less salt but still too much. I will probably use this as a drizzle on certain foods but would not buy again. 4/10.

Thirdly is Tingly Ted's (39% jalapeno peppers), Apparently this has something to do with a singer called Eddy Sheerhan. This is a most unusual chilli sauce that I'm sure folk will either love or hate, I say unusual as it kind of tastes a bit funky and a peek at the ingredients list explains it, it has lemon pulp in the mix! Like no other chilli sauce I've tried, I think I like it, but I need to actually put it on something (as opposed to just tasting it from the bottle) to be certain. One downside is the short shelf life, it only arrived on Monday but is best before June this year!. A tentative 5/10.

Lastly Encona Jamaican Scotch Bonnet (64% scotch bonnet peppers). I've been a huge fan of Encona Original sauce for a long while, their regular hot sauce has been my go to for over 30 years so thought it high time I tried their S/B version. This is hot, very hot in fact but not so hot as to be inedible. It is also very fruity which I like in my chilli sauces (non of the above had this feature). It has a lingering aftertaste which is most pleasant Thinner than the other 3 and containing seeds, this is by far the best of this bunch. 9/10.

So there we are.....4 more tried & tested.

BTW, 2 weeks ago I ordered Flying Goose Sriracha Sauce. That was so disgusting it literally went down the sink (I wanted to keep the bottle as an oil drizzler). It just tasted so chemical like, nothing at all going for it. I swear all those positive reviews I read were fake, no way could anyone like that muck.

Jay.

• Love
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Jun 18, 2020
Wilmington, NC
In my quest to find the ultimate hot chilli sauce I ordered four more new to me sauces with my last grocery delivery.

They were Frank's Red Hot Original Sauce, Frank's Buffalo Wings Sauce, Tingly Ted's Xtra Tingly Hot Sauce & Encona's Jamaican Scotch Bonnet Sauce.

First off the Frank's Original (39% cayenne peppers). Not at all hot and not particularly tasty but whatever taste there was was swamped by being way, way too salty. I'll probably just use this a bit at a time when I next make my chilli con carne just to use up the stuff. It will at least save me from adding any salt to the pan. 2/10.

Second up is Frank's Buffalo Wings (26% cayenne peppers). This was just as mild as the above but had more flavour and marginally less salt but still too much. I will probably use this as a drizzle on certain foods but would not buy again. 4/10.

Thirdly is Tingly Ted's (39% jalapeno peppers), Apparently this has something to do with a singer called Eddy Sheerhan. This is a most unusual chilli sauce that I'm sure folk will either love or hate, I say unusual as it kind of tastes a bit funky and a peek at the ingredients list explains it, it has lemon pulp in the mix! Like no other chilli sauce I've tried, I think I like it, but I need to actually put it on something (as opposed to just tasting it from the bottle) to be certain. One downside is the short shelf life, it only arrived on Monday but is best before June this year!. A tentative 5/10.

Lastly Encona Jamaican Scotch Bonnet (64% scotch bonnet peppers). I've been a huge fan of Encona Original sauce for a long while, their regular hot sauce has been my go to for over 30 years so thought it high time I tried their S/B version. This is hot, very hot in fact but not so hot as to be inedible. It is also very fruity which I like in my chilli sauces (non of the above had this feature). It has a lingering aftertaste which is most pleasant Thinner than the other 3 and containing seeds, this is by far the best of this bunch. 9/10.

So there we are.....4 more tried & tested.

BTW, 2 weeks ago I ordered Flying Goose Sriracha Sauce. That was so disgusting it literally went down the sink (I wanted to keep the bottle as an oil drizzler). It just tasted so chemical like, nothing at all going for it. I swear all those positive reviews I read were fake, no way could anyone like that muck.

Jay.
You should try your hand at making your own! I make a fermented hot sauce based on red Fresno peppers and add other peppers if they are not hot enough. Some onion and garlic along with the peppers in a brine or as a papper mash until it has fermented enough for me (usually 2 - 4 weeks).

I give it a kick start with some probiotics (cheap Target brand capsules - just opne the capsule and sprinle in). It's fermenting within 2 days

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
I get all my hot sauces from this mail order company here in the states. They have so much to choose from and they ship quickly and pack it carefully. I'm not sure about overseas shipping but it might be worth a fun look. Mo Hotta Mo Betta was started by a guy and his wife that lived by me in CA but ended up selling it years later and it's now in Savannah GA. One of my favorites is called Inner Beauty, a Caribbean scotch bonnet sauce that is quite hot but fruity. Check them out.
Hot Sauce, Hot Sauce Gifts, Hot Pepper Sauce, Hot Wing Sauce & BBQ Sauce - https://www.mohotta.com/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjw5v2wBhBrEiwAXDDoJboHEQFvR9DxzLbluu7wXoQM4DM_wcyWQACMhixmlWPU1CYY2-_LPxoCcj0QAvD_BwE

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
but Texas Pete has a pleasant mixture of flavor and heat:
Unfortunately I'm pretty much restricted to what my local Asda has in stock and Texas Pete isn't on their list.

However they do have several varieties of Nando's Peri Peri sauce which I've heard about but never tried so I'll likely buy a batch of those to try out. I just hope they're not salt bombs.

They also have Las Chicas Mexican Hot, and several Cholula sauces so I'm sure I'll try those at some point.

Though I like hot sauce, I don't like hot for the sake of hot, Michael (@cosmicfolklore) got me to appreciate the sourness & fruitiness of sauces which led me to buying 5 varieties of El Yucateco chilli sauces via Amazon. Those I really liked, especially their smoked black label sauce.

Jay.