PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
The pipe I'm puffing on in my avatar isn't a month old ... I was just putting a 2nd char light on a full bowl of 7 seas Royal blend while on the job today, and I decided to turn the stem a bit in the shank.
The thing broke off in my hand :(
It was a fairly tight fit in the shank, enough to wear it made a little squeeking sound when you moved it... but this isn't unusual, that happens with all my pipes. Does this happen sometimes with a quality stem, or is this Ukrainian crap? This has never happened to me before.
Anyhow, I'm just going to upgrade this pipe into a churchwarden, provided I can find a 11mm churchwarden stem, does anyone have any idea where I can find one?

zanthal

Lifer
Dec 3, 2011
Pleasanton, CA
I think I may be in the need of more tips.
The interior diameter of the shank is a few thousands of an inch over a half inch.
I found a churchwarden stem (at JH Lowe, thanks again for the info kennerth) that is 31/64 of an inch.
I imagine getting a stem that is just slightly smaller is a safe bet. Now my question to the wise and knowing is, what do I do if it's a loose fit?

jcsnaps

Lifer
Oct 18, 2010
It's tough sometimes to make your stems bigger. :wink: I usually opt for a slightly larger stem and carefully sand it down to fit.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Before you sink even more money into this "Ukranian experiment" I'd give it some thought. It's a broken tenon now, but what happens if you get a burn out?
Personally, I'd cut my losses and file this under "lessons learned".

Status
Not open for further replies.