PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
I often see pipes of interest with one or two spots where the carver decided not to try to correct what I assume is a flaw in the pipe. I don’t think I mind this depending on the overall esthetics of the piece. I’m curious about others tastes in regards to these blemishes. In some ways they could be looked at as adornments instead of flaws. Here is an example:

IMG_5815.png

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
I often see pipes of interest with one or two spots where the carver decided not to try to correct what I assume is a flaw in the pipe. I don’t think I mind this depending on the overall esthetics of the piece. I’m curious about others tastes in regards to these blemishes. In some ways they could be looked at as adornments instead of flaws. Here is an example:

View attachment 233532
That's not a flaw, that's just the plateau of the burl.
004-009-19155_2.6135.jpg
687_9734blowfish32-600x263-3.jpg

Last edited:

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
Reactions: Egg Shen

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
In general, I don't care for pipes with mixed finishes, whether that's partially smooth and partially rusticated/sandblasted or simply have an area carved out to eliminate a flaw.

The particular example you posted might be an exception for me. The grain and shaping are attractive and the small area of plateau lends some interest.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
Artistically incorporating outer burl texture WELL is actually quite difficult. Just enough surface area in just the right spot means the shape must be carved "to" it. Again, very tough to do in a fine-tuned way.

Whether you like it or not is a blondes/brunettes Chevy/Ford thing.

Personally, I think it adds a lot when properly done.

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
Artistically incorporating outer burl texture WELL is actually quite difficult. Just enough surface area in just the right spot means the shape must be carved "to" it. Again, very tough to do in a fine-tuned way.

Whether you like it or not is a blondes/brunettes Chevy/Ford thing.

Personally, I think it adds a lot when properly done.
With this in mind, does the photo I posted look intentional to you? It’s kind of an odd location to choose intentionally.

Reactions: Egg Shen

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
With this in mind, does the photo I posted look intentional to you? It’s kind of an odd location to choose intentionally.

Definitely intentional.

The level of overall workmanship is quite high (meaning the carver was "in control" of how things turned out), and the shape itself could have easily been morphed a bit to remove/absorb the plateau patch (unlike, say, the side of a classic billiard).

Whether YOU (or any observer) find the location odd, well, some people don't like where I chose to get my first tattoo last week. (People without taste, I might add.) But that's just the way it is, right?

Screen Shot 2023-07-15 at 1.41.12 PM.png

JackOrion

Can't Leave
Feb 3, 2023
West Yonkers California
With this in mind, does the photo I posted look intentional to you? It’s kind of an odd location to choose intentionally
Sorry if I’m being overly obvious, but wood is an organic material that commonly shows great variation in grain and structure, especially the briar or root ball. In fine furniture a builder will use grain patterns to an effect. Sometimes a dark sugar streak in a piece of maple becomes a point of focus, as an example.
In regards to your pipe, I think the maker liked that recessed section and rather than shaving it down past it, resulting in a smaller shape, decided to leave it.

Reactions: Ben.R.C

warren99

Lifer
Aug 16, 2010
California
It seems clearly intentional to leave the natural plateau formation there. Whether you care for it is subjective. The carver obviously liked it.
I agree. The plateau top is clearly intentional, and was the hallmark of the Danish freehands of the 1960's and 1970's. It was prevalent in many of Preben Holm's pipes, especially his Ben Wade line, Viggo Nielsen's freehands and those of Poul Winslow (who worked with Holm), Castello in its Great Line pipes and Randy Wiley.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Sorry if I’m being overly obvious, but wood is an organic material that commonly shows great variation in grain and structure, especially the briar or root ball. In fine furniture a builder will use grain patterns to an effect. Sometimes a dark sugar streak in a piece of maple becomes a point of focus, as an example.
In regards to your pipe, I think the maker liked that recessed section and rather than shaving it down past it, resulting in a smaller shape, decided to leave it.
Some carvers will actually start with a section of plateau that they like and build a pipe around it.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
The pipe in the original post seems elegantly finished to me. But if feels off to you, it is probably not for you.

I'm not much attentive to variations or even flaws in pipes. My ethos seems more in line with the Japanese attitude toward tea set pottery, for example. I'm not educated in Japanese culture, but I seem to follow their thinking.

The differences in a piece, if it is otherwise properly crafted, are part of their interest. Uniformity and precision is more for automobile parts or laboratory instrumentation. The inexactitude of natural objects is part of their aesthetic, their poetry if you will, and to me, is more to be desired than otherwise, if it speaks to me.

Ben.R.C

Lifer
Nov 20, 2022
North Carolina
I agree. The plateau top is clearly intentional, and was the hallmark of the Danish freehands of the 1960's and 1970's. It was prevalent in many of Preben Holm's pipes, especially his Ben Wade line, Viggo Nielsen's freehands and those of Poul Winslow (who worked with Holm), Castello in its Great Line pipes and Randy Wiley.
I love the plateau rims, this is a little more avant-garde then rims I think. It is not that I dislike it, I may actually be buying this pipe.