PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AreBee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
I picked this up from my local antique shop for $20. The only marking is “France” on the shank. There’s a small rectangular hole inside the shank (3rd pic) and I have never seen that.

The pipe’s condition was pretty decent with very little cake in the bowl. There is plenty of airflow to the bowl but I can’t get a pipe cleaner through it, no matter how I bend it or spin it, etc. Reading about an alcohol retort, but I’m a little intimidated by that.

I currently have the bowl packed with salt and a few drops of alcohol. I soaked the vulcanite stem in oxy clean and it worked wonders. No chatter on it at all.

My big concern is getting the shank clean and ongoing maintenance if I can’t get a pipe cleaner through it.

Would appreciate any insight on the pipe ID and/or any tips with the cleaning.

IMG_3109.jpeg

IMG_3108.jpegIMG_3115.jpeg

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
It's a no-name basket pipe from a French factory. I.e., a reject for one reason or another, perhaps cosmetic, that's good enough not to throw away. Some basket pipes smoke very well.

I wouldn't have bothered with the salt unless there's a persistent ghost that's unwanted. I also avoid OxiClean; it can leave pits on some stems. I prefer micro-mesh sanding pads and/or Novus plastic polishes, finished with Obsidian Oil and then some Halcyon II wax in the case of rusticated finishes . Those waxes are now unavailable. Renaissance wax is an adequate alternative. In my two decades screwing with estate pipes, I've never bothered with an alcohol retort. On the other hand, I avoid buying super dirty caked pipes.

Can you pass a pipe-cleaner with the stem off? That smaller rectangular hole looks like the draft hole to me but it's impossible to tell in the picture.

Reactions: AreBee

AreBee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2024
It's a no-name basket pipe from a French factory. I.e., a reject for one reason or another, perhaps cosmetic, that's good enough not to throw away. Some basket pipes smoke very well.

I wouldn't have bothered with the salt unless there's a persistent ghost that's unwanted. I also avoid OxiClean; it can leave pits on some stems. I prefer micro-mesh sanding pads and/or Novus plastic polishes, finished with Obsidian Oil and then some Halcyon II wax in the case of rusticated finishes . Those waxes are now unavailable. Renaissance wax is an adequate alternative. In my two decades screwing with estate pipes, I've never bothered with an alcohol retort. On the other hand, I avoid buying super dirty caked pipes.

Can you pass a pipe-cleaner with the stem off? That smaller rectangular hole looks like the draft hole to me but it's impossible to tell in the picture.
Thank you for the information. I do have micro polishing pads. 400-12000. I used the process on similar stems with very good results.

To answer your question, I cannot get a pipe cleaner through with the stem off. I have tried putting a bind in the tip and/or rotating it. I’ve tried a piece of plastic coated wire, a little more rigid but still flexible and still can’t get anything through. When I put a light in the shank, it does shine into the bowl, and as I mentioned there is airflow.

Reactions: mingc

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Sounds like there may be solidified tar and crud in the shank

I use small drill bits or Jewellers screwdrivers to unblock the obstruction
Then I follow up with shank brushes and alcohol-soaked pipe cleaners

Hot water rinses won’t do the job in this instance

jhowell

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
I'm not sure why it is square, but that hole is actually how the draft hole was drilled - at some point inside the shank, the two holes merge. Think about the geometry - drill bits are straight...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm not sure why it is square, but that hole is actually how the draft hole was drilled - at some point inside the shank, the two holes merge. Think about the geometry - drill bits are straight...
Thanks, I didn't know how to phrase that. Multiple drills and the small one on top of the draft hole went slightly deep to create a divot. I don't think that is unusual on a deeply bent pipe.

AreBee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2024
Tried a few other items of various thickness with no luck. Even went down to fishing line to see if I could get it through. When I shine my headlight down the shank, it looks as if the shaft-hole to the bowl seems to be just a hair higher than the bottom of the shaft in the shank. The pipe cleaner goes to the bottom and passes by the hole. I've tried bending the tip of the cleaner slightly but to no avail.

Hillcrest

Lifer
Dec 3, 2021
Bagshot Row, Hobbiton
Recently, my vauen got some crud build up and some tobacco stuck in the draft hole and jammed it. I could not clear it in the usual manner. I ended up putting a few drops of boiling water in the shank, let it soak for a couple of minutes then used a thin fine drill bit by hand to push the obstruction out. On my hungarians the draft hole is usually a straight line directly down to the bowl at an angle and would be inside that well. The square hole seems to be a miss and could be why its a second. Wishing you success. Let us know what finally works.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
I have a French pipe that would not pass a cleaner also. Some of those old French pipes are drilled pretty narrow and when they bend the stem the all but close off. The same problem as French engine designs. They look great and elegant on paper but when the rubber hits the road they invite all kinds of problems. Maybe it looks great for its age becuase it was difficult to use.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
Ah, you were talking about the stummel. I thought you were having trouble with the stem. Maybe if I had read more carefully. Might be from the Butz Choquin factory if I had to guess.

Last edited: