PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
I am slowly but surely falling under the Virginia spell.
F&T Cut Virginia Plug seems to be more lauded here, but given the option my first dip in the F&T pool was the apparently stronger brother, Cut Blended Plug.
I have had this tin for a week or so, and had five flakes so far, will surely be more. In fact I haven’t been excited with a tobacco since having Ascanian No2, notwithstanding Synjeco’s brilliant Holker Twist. 5 flakes is usually too soon to consider writing up, but each smoke has been identical so i have no reason to expect surprises from this blend.

The elegant tin contains perfectly formed Kohlhase & Kopp flakes, mostly shades of brown with a few black and a few bright strands. They smell like sweet bread with the tiniest hint of spice. Closer to the nose brings some grass and wood. Wood is not something i often associated with Virginia but I am not an expert at all in the genre. It is like pleasant dry wood shavings, like a carpenter’s shop, not the raw oak of ODF, or the sourness of some DFK bombs I’ve had. Both spice and wood carry in the smoke.

The flakes do need some drying, had them within 1 hour from the tin or overnight drying to a crisp and rubbing them out. Had them folded and stuffed, cube cut, the name of the game is consistency, this tobacco behaves and tastes very consistently throughout the bowl, regardless of the prep.

Taste is great, really great. Quite sweet on lighting up, almost aromatic sweet for me, but it subsides fairly quickly without going away. I got a lot of hints of cinnamon, wood, body, sweetness of raisin bread. The main point is that the taste is consistent, reasonably strong, and very enjoyable. That’s it, no more no less. Very enjoyable, next one up will be Cut Virginia Plug.

9C0848FB-ABF2-4D31-8444-B0B0EF09ECDA.jpeg

beef

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 10, 2021
Ontario
I've got a few of these sitting about. This makes me want to crack one. I have too much open at the moment though.

Reactions: karam

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
There is no Vanilla flavoring in CVP. I wish I could smoke the Cut Blended Plug but it has way too much red Virginia in it for me. I am glad to hear you love it. I would smoke the CVP as a first of the day smoke as your taste buds will be fresh and you will be able to appreciate all that it offers.

karam

Lifer
Feb 2, 2019
Basel, Switzerland
Cheers, will be in my next order
There is no Vanilla flavoring in CVP. I wish I could smoke the Cut Blended Plug but it has way too much red Virginia in it for me. I am glad to hear you love it. I would smoke the CVP as a first of the day smoke as your taste buds will be fresh and you will be able to appreciate all that it offers.
I recall reading your posts about red Va, and see it mentioned in the description, I am not experienced enough to pick it out in the taste - yet know I like it a lot, especially in something like HU Janneman Flake - but do pick out the tang in the tin.

Reactions: kcghost

daytonsean

Lifer
Aug 28, 2012
Dayton
Everything I’ve had from F&T is great. Sometimes hard to find here in the U.S. so you have to keep notices turned on. The blended plug is really good.