PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Ohio (Displaced Central Texan)
I'm looking for blends described in the title: sweeter, plummy VaPers which will not bite red-sensitive smokers.

Note that I'm not necessarily looking to avoid red Virginias completely. Rather, I'm looking to avoid blends in which the reds can be aggravating. For example, while I'm especially sensitive to red, Solani 633 is a rather cool smoke for me (as it is for smokers like @cigrmaster). Haddo's Delight, Anniversary Kake or Rattray's offerings, on the other hand, are tasty but terribly bite-y for me. Red sensitive smokers will likely understand.

Any recommendations? The blends I enjoy to date include Solani 633, Doblone d'Oro, and De Lux Navy rolls. Watch City and GL Pease have blends I'd like to try but I'm hesitant about whether the red-component will be too uncomfortable.

Last edited:
What A great thread. I, too am Red sensitive and while I am avidly exploring Burleys and VaBurs at the moment, I do have a few recommendations:

Peterson Elizabethan 6/10
Solani 633 8/10
C&D Bayou Morning 6/10
Germain's Royal Jersey 9/10

And in the following blends, you won't even miss the Perique in these VaBurs and they will scratch that itch.

Peterson's University Flake 7/10
Watch City Slices 9/10
Stonehaven 9/10
Peterson 3P's 8/10

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
What A great thread. I, too am Red sensitive and while I am avidly exploring Burleys and VaBurs at the moment, I do have a few recommendations:

Solani 633 8/10
C&D Bayou Morning 6/10

And in the following blends, you won't even miss the Perique in these VaBurs and they will scratch that itch.

Watch City Slices 9/10
Stonehaven 9/10
Peterson 3P's 8/10
Great recommendations. Thanks. Solani 633 is indeed a great smoke!

Reactions: seanv

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Bought several ounces of both Old Dominion and Flake #558. Thanks for the suggestions!
If you like both of those once you try them, keep an eye out for McConnell's Black Flake to be in stock.

It's somewhere between the two but better than both, IMO, which is saying a lot considering how much I like Old Dominion. Slightly reminiscent of Dunhill's Dark Flake too although not the same.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA

Solani 633 8/10
C&D Bayou Morning 6/10

Watch City Slices 9/10
Stonehaven 9/10
Peterson 3P's 8/10
University flake is great. Plummy and complex more so then people seem to think it is.

futureman

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2011
Just a quick plug for Watch City’s Flake # 558. Outstanding blend, although I need to sip slowly as it can be a little tingly. I love the way it crumbles. And with a little drying, I can get an outstanding smoke to the bottom of the bowl. Think “cinnamony raisins with spice” and you’ve almost got it.

Old Dominion is a quality product as well, but the amount of red Virginia’s in this one result in lots of tongue bite for me.

Reactions: sandollars

Puff nstuff

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2021
Inland Southern California
I'm a relative newcomer to the pipe, so fair warning. The first flake I ever tried was Drexel VIII. I found it to be very nice, not bitey, and definitely plum/raisin forward - a very positive experience. Some may scoff; it's now a bargain basement blend that may not be available for too much longer, but for $5.50 a pouch it might be worth a try. I bought a few and jarred them up.

Reactions: sandollars