PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title ( See Rule 9 )

So recently I acquired some well aged FVF, my first experience with this much revered tobacco. Dried it some. Would not stay lit. Dried some more. Same experience. A bitch to rub out, so cut it into short lengths ease the effort. Dried a bit more. Can't get much dryer at all. I know how to smoke a virginia, I'm not new to this. Slowly. Sips. Still can't keep it lit, unless I draw like a demon. Can't smoke slowly. What a disappointment.
Yet again I wonder, why me lord.
What's your experience with this universally popular weed ?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
It does take some significant drying time (several hours at least) in my experience. I just break it up as much as possible before drying. It does take a few charring lights, but seems to behave fairly well after that. Maybe a few more relights than normal, but nothing too horrendous. Beyond what you have already described I can't imagine what else may be going wrong.

Reactions: Mis Pipas
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm smoking through a tin off BBF and FVF. I've been laying the flakes on a napkin, under a fan for an hour or three prior to smoking. I fold the flakes for loading, they are dry to the point of being very brittle but not crunchy. Takes a few relights but not an excessive amount. Been smoking beautifully. And burning to a fine ash to the bottom of the bowl.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
EDIT: Fixed Capitalization in Title ( See Rule 9 )

So recently I acquired some well aged FVF, my first experience with this much revered tobacco. Dried it some. Would not stay lit. Dried some more. Same experience. A bitch to rub out, so cut it into short lengths ease the effort. Dried a bit more. Can't get much dryer at all. I know how to smoke a virginia, I'm not new to this. Slowly. Sips. Still can't keep it lit, unless I draw like a demon. Can't smoke slowly. What a disappointment.
Yet again I wonder, why me lord.
What's your experience with this universally popular weed ?
What you said. ;)

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Break it up really well.
@pipestud uses a single speed coffee grinder and others here use weed grinders from Amazon to get a finer broken flake.
Let it dry really, really well...
and then dry it for an additional 24 hrs.
Also, this particular flake really behaves better with a very good charring light.
As long as you can load a pipe it is not too dry and it will begin to rehydrated itself after a good charring light.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
I have 1 tin from 2015,I bought 2 tins to try it and after struggling with the first tin the other has sat in the draw ev
er since.
mind you i also struggle to light GH Dark flake/plug which i love but no matter what I do seems to need half a bowl before it gets going

marconi

Part of the Furniture Now
May 17, 2019
England
I dry it for an hour in the evening I then load into a tall narrow pipe and put it to one side and smoke a bowl of capstan blue.The following day I will smoke half of the bowl after many relights.Then I smoke the rest of the bowl the following morning fantastic smoke.
Someone I know left an open pouch of FVF in their Campervan and forgot about it for six months.When they fired up the first bowl from the pouch they said the moisture content was just right!

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
Agreed with the others here. FVF is my favorite Virginia flake, in my admittedly somewhat limited experience with VA flakes. You just have to dry it A LOT. I rub my flakes out, which to some here is heresy, but I get a more consistent burn that way.

tkcolo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 30, 2018
Granby, CO
I cube cut, load it up (medium to light density) and fire it up (in a meerschaum) because I'm impatient. After 2-3 relights during the first 10 min, I rarely see a relight. However, I live in a Colorado high mountain desert (average humidity is 0%). I like the flavor better with moisture, but I am in a minority. Certainly more prone to tongue bite with more moisture. And I'm sure the meerschaum helps with moisture.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"What's your experience with this universally popular weed ?"

The trick with all tobacco from Kendal is to air dry it for an hour or two (locality dependent) and not to pack it too hard. As Bluegrassbrian above states, it practically smokes itself!

I will add that when smoked 'green', it can be a little bland, however after a mere two or three years the stuff is sublime and only gets better with more time.

Regards,

Jay.?

mngslvs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2019
Yarmouth, Maine
I first put it in a toaster oven at 160 degrees for 15-20 minutes. Not enough. Repeat at 170 degrees. Etc. I sneak up on it, because I still think bone dry tobacco is not as flavorful. After about 3 runs, I think, well how much the hell dryer can it get ? Still : light after light after light. It is true that the humidity here has been high lately. As to texture, I hate the idea of getting the tobacco to even smaller bits than it is now, but.......I will continue to experiment. I had cut it into 1/4 inch lengths......and it was still difficult to rub out......kinda stiff and recalcitrant.
The thing about any given bowl of tobacco is : you never exactly know when the stars will align to give you a sublime smoke. And versa-vica. It is not an entirely rational sport. At least in my experience.

Reactions: dcon and marconi

seanv

Lifer
Mar 22, 2018
Canada
Sorry to hear about your FVF problems. It really is a great smoke. Hopefully it works out for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.