PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Hi all,

I’ve been lurking for a while and thought it was time to properly introduce myself.

I hail from New Zealand, smack bang in the middle of the green belt. Kiwi and avocado country mostly, citrus and truffles too.

As you probably are aware, beggars can’t be choosers when it comes to tobacco options. I have a hard time not finding something to enjoy in all tobacco, even if it just the room or pouch note.

I have 7 cobs, among other pipes.

I asked my friend fletch for any pipe recommendations - he goes by @RustiePyles CPG here from memory - and he said petes, however whenever I find one for sale I am outbid by someone with deep pockets, probably in Vegas.

I like the idea of old high grade kaywoodies, but where did they all go?

Any help for a brother at what pipes I should smoke now?

Best,

David

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
G’day from up over. If you’re looking for good pipes you should reach out to one of our members here named Steve aka @Humblepipe. He has an eBay store with some lovely pipes. He has a kind of secret coding for some of his auctions so keep an eye out for ones with “DI” in the listing title, those are the gems. Anyway, glad to have you and “chur-jandles” as they say down there.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Oh, heavens, have I gone through a time warp?

Ahi Ka with over 6,000 posts and here for over three years? That guy? Now an introduction?

Yes! And well done. I hope you'll inspire others to belly up to the bar, so to speak.

[BTW, I think Briar Lee has all the best Kaywoodies. I suggest a nice Barling.]
At least I got my location in my profile!

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Welcome from Kansas City! You’ll definitely want to stay away from Orlik, Masta, and any other pipes made in England around the turn of the 20th century. They are terrible smokers! I’d recommend getting yourself a few Mr Brog pipes, I’m not 100% sure what they’re made of but they smoke REALLY wet, it’ll keep your tongue and mouth from drying out.

Ahi Ka

Lurker
Feb 25, 2020
Aotearoa (New Zealand)
Welcome from Kansas City! You’ll definitely want to stay away from Orlik, Masta, and any other pipes made in England around the turn of the 20th century. They are terrible smokers! I’d recommend getting yourself a few Mr Brog pipes, I’m not 100% sure what they’re made of but they smoke REALLY wet, it’ll keep your tongue and mouth from drying out.
good to know. I find the acidity of kiwis leaves me with cotton mouth so that’s a good trick. Thank you. If I water flush will it make them smoke even wetter? I mainly smoke raw tobacco which is quite dry. I think a wet pipe might even it out

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
good to know. I find the acidity of kiwis leaves me with cotton mouth so that’s a good trick. Thank you. If I water flush will it make them smoke even wetter? I mainly smoke raw tobacco which is quite dry. I think a wet pipe might even it out
Only water flush meerschaum pipes, flush with boiling water and then put them directly in the freezer. It’s the only way to really get one clean. It will also help to color it. Which is the ONLY reason to smoke a meerschaum pipe.