PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
I have heard about jars. I have quite a few bulk blends that went immediately into jars.

This was one of the "new" tins with the plastic seal around it.

And I opened it only 2-3 weeks after purchase.

The 14 months of age it had (after being provided the tin-date chart) would normally have been welcomed.
All tins for a while have had the plastic tamper proof seal, this does not mean it was the newly designed tins. And I cannot tell from the photos. You can PM pictures of the sides of the tin if you wish but it is now well over a year old and has travelled half way around the world to get to you (presuming you are USA).

Reactions: anotherbob

gawithhoggarth

Can't Leave
Dec 26, 2019
Kendal, UK
www.gawithhoggarth.co.uk
I'm not arguing with your logic... but other companies just let the suction and swoosh of air be their proof that the tin was not tampered with. If the lid comes off easily and there is no swish... either the company failed to put the tin together correctly at the factory or someone tampered with it. All it takes is a gentle tug at the lid to know whether you have a good tin or not, because a good tin requires a screw driver or a large coin to get it open. puffy
Except we then have complaints that tins are too hard to open if you need a screw driver or coin to get the lid off............and a tin can still be vacuum sealed without it needing great strength or a tool to open. Also it does not help the end consumer if a tin has been tampered with at some stage and is then still sent out to them. This way the lid is sealed on and so there is no doubt as to whether it has been tampered with at some stage prior. It was partly due to people trying tins in shops and then replacing lids and others then buying that this was introduced.

Reactions: woodsroad
Except we then have complaints that tins are too hard to open if you need a screw driver or coin to get the lid off............and a tin can still be vacuum sealed without it needing great strength or a tool to open. Also it does not help the end consumer if a tin has been tampered with at some stage and is then still sent out to them. This way the lid is sealed on and so there is no doubt as to whether it has been tampered with at some stage prior. It was partly due to people trying tins in shops and then replacing lids and others then buying that this was introduced.
I really like your tobaccos.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I have heard about jars. I have quite a few bulk blends that went immediately into jars.

This was one of the "new" tins with the plastic seal around it.

And I opened it only 2-3 weeks after purchase.

The 14 months of age it had (after being provided the tin-date chart) would normally have been welcomed.
Obviously, the seal was bad before you bought it. Maybe you can return it?

Reactions: FLDRD

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Obviously, the seal was bad before you bought it. Maybe you can return it?
I'm thinking that I may have been unlucky and gotten a bad one. There was no pressure inside when I easily pulled the top off. It's about enough trouble to return it as to just cause me to leave it be.

So, I'll be searching the threads for tutorial "101-Smoking Mummy Dust for Beginners". It's got to be out there somewhere... puffy

It reminds me of finding out that Tabac Manil wasn't vacuum sealed and when I opened it there was crunchiness galore. That one went into a jar immediately afterwards because I wasn't ready for that flavor.

This one will give me practice in smoking delicately and getting what I can from it.

But, I'll be checking / likely smoking this brand of square tins first. If I love it enough I suppose I would buy in bulk in the future and put it straight to jars.

I haven't had this issue with Capstan, MacBaren, or 4th Generation square tins.

I'm sure the company is frustrated with this as well, I obviously don't have an answer to provide. Hopefully they find one that works for all.

Reactions: seanv and woodsroad

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'm thinking that I may have been unlucky and gotten a bad one. There was no pressure inside when I easily pulled the top off. It's about enough trouble to return it as to just cause me to leave it be.

So, I'll be searching the threads for tutorial "101-Smoking Mummy Dust for Beginners". It's got to be out there somewhere... puffy

It reminds me of finding out that Tabac Manil wasn't vacuum sealed and when I opened it there was crunchiness galore. That one went into a jar immediately afterwards because I wasn't ready for that flavor.

This one will give me practice in smoking delicately and getting what I can from it.

But, I'll be checking / likely smoking this brand of square tins first. If I love it enough I suppose I would buy in bulk in the future and put it straight to jars.

I haven't had this issue with Capstan, MacBaren, or 4th Generation square tins.

I'm sure the company is frustrated with this as well, I obviously don't have an answer to provide. Hopefully they find one that works for all.
Mist it with a little water (non-chlorinated) and close up the jar.

Oct 7, 2016
I can't imagine that GH Balkan dried to the extent of the tin the OP opened hasn't lost a lot of flavor. I enjoy it a lot, a bit of typical GH flavorings make it stand out from other Balkans or English blends.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
Personal I imagine it probably has all the flavor it needs. I don't find non aromatic style pipe tobaccos to really lose any flavor until they turn to dust from a touch or stern glance.
It has to be handled carefully or it turns to dust if pinched.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I did get an explanation from the G&H rep, she said that my tin is one of the older (temporary) ones that had to be used in the interim between the previous tin manufacturer that stopped providing them - and the replacement they finally chose as their new supplier.

She said the little ridges / notches at the edge of the tin are shorter on those in-between tins than the current ones.

I'll look to distinguish the shorter from the longer ones and consume those short-notched tins first. Hopefully that will help me properly manage my consumption vs. saving of tins from them and all will be well...

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I did get an explanation from the G&H rep, she said that my tin is one of the older (temporary) ones that had to be used in the interim between the previous tin manufacturer that stopped providing them - and the replacement they finally chose as their new supplier.

She said the little ridges / notches at the edge of the tin are shorter on those in-between tins than the current ones.

I'll look to distinguish the shorter from the longer ones and consume those short-notched tins first. Hopefully that will help me properly manage my consumption vs. saving of tins from them and all will be well...
As a comparison on the tins, here's an example of the "newer" ones they are using now. Note the long notch instead of 3 little ones. They claim these are better, I've no experience but I hope so.

1666380391730.png

Reactions: ThermionicScott

retrogrouch

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 16, 2017
G&H tobaccos used to come in a plastic baggie inside the tin. I guess they stopped doing that at some time.

Reactions: FLDRD

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I perused through a few of my tins and found I've got both "old" & "new" notch styles. I grabbed one with the 3 (old) and pulled the plastic off, only to find that it's actually on quite tight for the moment. So I didn't open it yet but will soon since I took off that plastic.

Point being - there's still hope that most of them are good and the one that gave me this issue was more of a rarity.

🤞

Reactions: ThermionicScott
Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
I was super-relieved when my two tins from last year turned out to be decently-sealed. I think next time I get G&H/SG tins, I'll take off the tamper-proofing tape, give the lids a very light tug with my fingertips, and if they pass that test, just put a wrap of tough weather-proof tape around the perimeter.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
So I continue to explore tobaccos and dig through my tins. I decided to try another of their blends which I was concerned may have lost its seal since it had the same "3 slot" design.

After peeling off the plastic label I gave the lid a little tug - nothing. I tugged harder, nothing. I pondered leaving it because the seal was great, but after a couple of days, curiosity got the better of me and I decided that it was time to try it rather than wait.

Upon attempting to remove the lid, I found that it took far more force than I anticipated. Indeed, I eventually had to use significant force with a pocket knife to achieve success. At least I now know the appropriate direction to apply pressure to get these tins to release their vacuum. With this one I had to reshape the sides when I finally succeeded!

In other words, this tin was sealed more tightly than ANY square or round tin I've ever tried to open. And it was sealed only a short time earlier than the Balkan that failed.

So now I've tried Ennerdale... and some of their tins seal magnificently well.

1667401099235.png

1667401132357.png

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I actually enjoyed Ennerdale. Subsequent bowls had me letting it dry a little longer, and longer, and longer; it has a wide variability of burning capability regarding moisture, so I played with that a little bit.

And I'd been practicing smoking the crumbles that were the Balkan, and learned to manage it well enough. In fact, I might award myself an MMD - Master of Mummy Dust. (Everybody needs an MMD.) When curiosity got the better of me.

Bone dry Balkan, moist Ennerdale...; bone dry, moist...; Balkan, Ennerdale...!

Yes, I did that. About 50/50 by volume.
More than once, and I'm going to do it again.
Tasting it in a couple of meer lined briars I recently picked up in a batch.
Anyone else ever chance upon this?

1667401567620.png

Uguccione

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
I recently purchased some cans of Samuel Gawith, all with plastic seals around the perimeter.
I opened two Sam's Flake with my hands, in both cases the lid came off easily without making the classic vacuum "pop".
The sensation was that of cans without vacuum.