PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

markus

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I just posted this on TobaccoReviews.com.
This tobacco was a pleasant surprise. It was an addition to some other tobacco's that I had bulk ordered and I only bought 1 oz. to sample. I tried it based purely on the name, because it sounded tasty and I knew that being a G&H product, it would be made of good quality, premium tobacco. The moisture content of the flake was good for me right out of the bag, I usually like them to be slightly moist to give off a little more flavor. I cut the flakes into 1/2 inch pieces and rubbed them out fully. I then loaded it all into my Peterson Dalkey Billiard, using the three step method. Upon first light, I got a soft, smooth, creamy feeling smoke with a light Lakeland essence (not unpleasant) and the slightly more dominant chocolate, with a hint of vanilla in the background. Throughout the rest of the smoke the Latakia just kind of faded in and out, sometimes not even noticeable. The chocolatey goodness remained along with the creaminess. I found the nic hit to be a step below medium and I usually like them a little stronger. This one is a new favorite for me, I will definitely be smoking the rest of this and ordering some more. I have found that I enjoy the G&H tobacco's and that the light Lakeland essence is refreshing. This tobacco is more of a crossover English to me, having the components of both an Aro and an English. If you are sensitive to the Lakeland essences, then you may not care for this flake, however if you are curious about them and enjoy a little Latakia with some nice flavoring, then give this a go. I think you will find it to be a pleasant smoke. I'm giving this 4 stars for the premium tobacco content, well structured flakes, expertly applied flavorings and condimental Latakia.
Pipe Used: Peterson Dalkey Billiard
Age When Smoked: Fresh
Purchased From: Smokingpipes.com

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
I got a sample of this and then ordered a 500 gram box, it ages great, after 6 months you can see crystals form

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
@papipeguy - Thank you!
@Andy - Good to know, I'm planning to order about 8 oz., so I should have some to age.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Andy's not joking around about those crystals. My BoB looks like it's got a couple diamonds dangling around in the jar.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Actually all of the G&H flakes I've put away have been the same, they're sparkling after 6 months or so.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Great review. This is one that I absolutely hated when I tasted years ago and it scared me away from the Lakeland genre completely for many years. The problem was I was a novice pipe smoker and I didn't understand it at all. Fast forward 6 years, I decided it was time to revisit... So glad I did! It's a stellar blend and I couldn't imagine having a cellar without it.
Thanks for the review man!
Yup, you all are right about GH&Co's tobaccos aging wonderfully. Everyone if there tobaccos either came with bloom already on it or bloomed not long after jarring. Another reason why they are hands down my favorite house. Love em!

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
The term "light Lakeland essence" is an oxymoron. The mere thought of smoking a blend that tastes like a Hershey bar soaked in Chanel No. 5 makes me ill.
However I noticed SG has another chocolate blend called just Chocolate Flake (Kendall mayor's collection). Is that puppy a Lakeland too?

May 4, 2015
The term "light Lakeland essence" is an oxymoron. The mere thought of smoking a blend that tastes like a Hershey bar soaked in Chanel No. 5 makes me ill.
I agree. I don't begrudge anyone their pleasure if they enjoy these Lakelands, but they are NOT for me. I'll try anything once, but when I smoke Lakeland, I feel like I lost a bet or something.
Glad you enjoyed it though! Plenty of people do, apparently.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
hawky, thanks for the kind words!

Oh man! This stuff really sings in a cob!

If the Lakeland essence is applied correctly and not heavily, then it really hits all the numbers for me.

IMO, G&H does this better than anybody else, they are truly experts in the genre.

I also love the fact that they use really good quality tobacco in their flakes and other tobacco's, which is probably why the bloom develops so easily (just a guess, I'm no expert).

May 4, 2015
I just smoked a year-old Hyde Park (blended by G&H) that my brother-in-law assured me had mellowed and aged beautifully. It had bloom on it and sparkled under light. It was gorgeous to look at and smelled fantastic in the jar of rich Virginias and stout Burley.
I dumped it after about 3 minutes - and told him it was one of the best smokes I ever had.
:)

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
LOL! I bought a Peterson pipe (another big mistake I won't make again) and got my choice of a free tin of any Peterson blend. Looking them over there weren't many that sounded appealing, but Hyde Park sounded promising, as it was described as an English. When it arrived and I lit up, I swear I thought someone had either spilled soap into the tobacco accidentally or else someone had washed my pipe out with soap. The thought literally did not occur to me that any tobacco, much less an English blend, could possibly have been purposely laced with a topping that smelled and tasted like perfumey soap. It wasn't until months later, long after I had thrown the rest of the tin out, that I learned there was such as thing as a Lakeland. Idk how in 40 yrs of pipesmoking I never encountered one before. Guess my luck finally ran out.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
Shutterbug, you're a hoot!

The next time you feel like throwing out a tin of tobacco, send me a PM.

As far as Peterson pipes go, I have 3 so far and I love them all.

I have never tried the Hyde Park blend, however I am intrigued, I'm sure I will get around to it someday. I have to say though, that G&H does Lakeland blends so expertly, that I can't imagine Hyde Park being better.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
What's the deal with SG being out of stock or backordered on so many blends everywhere? Is the factory closed for summer vacation or did it burn down or are they out of business or what??

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I did notice a little bit of the floral ghost in my Peterson Dalkey that I had smoked it in, it was pretty well gone about half way thru a follow-up bowl of Bengal Slices. You might want to try it in a cob first. Some people are more sensitive to ghosting, personally I am not.

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
There must be huge inconsistencies because I don't get any soap/florals in Hyde Park at all. I wish there was though as I think I would have enjoyed it more. Not bad at all but not one I'll be repurchasing.
Also, Shutterbug the Samuel Gawith Chocolate Flake does not have any Lakeland flavorings.

markus

Mar 18, 2014
Bloomfield, IN
I haven't tried Hyde Park yet, but I will eventually get around to it.
hawky, are you sure about that? I thought that I did get some Lakeland essence in the background, it's very light and refreshing, and goes really well with the other flavors. I love this stuff a little more each time I smoke it!

Status
Not open for further replies.