PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

isaac

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
So I've already put about 8 bowls in my new estate. I was told aromatics were smoked in it. I did do a wipe out with everclear. But, 8 bowls into it with Virginia blends, i still getting aromatic hints. There is absolutely no cake to remove. Any suggestions?

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Servant King

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Which Va blend you smoking in it? If the pipe is thoroughly cleaned, and still lingering ghost, it might need alcohol and salt, or coffee grind soak. Not sure if that Va blend is strong enough to neutralize the stronger remaining ghost. Most people seems to use OTC blends. I'm not too sensitive to notice much of any ghost.

isaac

Sep 18, 2012
Portland, OR
Which Va blend you smoking in it? If the pipe is thoroughly cleaned, and still lingering ghost, it might need alcohol and salt, or coffee grind soak. Not sure if that Va blend is strong enough to neutralize the stronger remaining ghost. Most people seems to use OTC blends. I'm not too sensitive to notice much of any ghost.

Im smoking all my regular VA's in it. McClelland/SG/ Eso/ WCC. I am going to smoke some Rouxgaroux in it though. im hesitant to do a salt soaking on a Meer.

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
A voodoo ritual should be more than adequate. Find a doll that looks like what one would imagine Captain Black to look like (in the manner of Susan's Estelle-lookalike doll from Seinfeld), and start sticking pins in it until the problem no longer persists. The ghost should be gone at that point, although you'll be dreadfully low on pins for the time being.

jhowell

Jul 25, 2019
Phoenix, Arizona
Bake it in a 250 degree oven for 24 hours. That will drive out any volatiles that create ghosts. Leave it in the oven to cool in order to prevent thermal shock.

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
I don't recommend putting any alcohol in the bowl or shank of any meerschaums. It can affect the natural abilities of the meerschaum. The alcohol should only be used on the stem. I carefully use my pipe knife to ream out any cake, and then I use water and a paper towel to wipe the bowl. I'll do this multiple times until I'm unable to get any material out of the bowl. I also use water and pipe cleaners down the shank. Then I just smoke some of my go to blends, and eventually the ghost will disappear. Depending on how strong the ghost is will determine. the number of bowls you'll need to smoke.

Reactions: Green Hill piper