PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

TakeThisCobAndStuffIt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 5, 2023
Tidewater, VA
Soaking the pipe in alcohol is not a good idea. However, swabbing the inside of the bowl and shank with high proof or isopropyl alcohol will not damage meerschaum; particularly if it's applied lightly as from a q-tip. Note that in a moistened state the material will be softer and susceptible to scratches.
Cob

Reactions: seanv

Buffalo

Can't Leave
Oct 8, 2022
Central Nebraska
When dealing with ghosts in meerschaum bowls, both block and lined briars, I've had tremendously good success with activated charcoal powder and water. Take the activated charcoal powder and add water to make a paste or slurry with it, then paint the inside of the bowl with it. I usually try to apply several coats, then I pour activated charcoal into the bowl and let it set for several days. Dump it, give it a gentle scrape with a pipe knife and then smoke away.

Word of caution, if you are inclined to make a mess doing something like this, best to wrap a block meer with saran wrap and masking tape to keep the charcoal off the outside, it will stain.

Reactions: yanoJL

Green Hill piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2023
Which Va blend you smoking in it? If the pipe is thoroughly cleaned, and still lingering ghost, it might need alcohol and salt, or coffee grind soak. Not sure if that Va blend is strong enough to neutralize the stronger remaining ghost. Most people seems to use OTC blends. I'm not too sensitive to notice much of any ghost.
I may be wrong but alcohol and salt sounds really not good in a meer?

Reactions: kcghost

Green Hill piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2023
You'll find so many "not goods" online for meerschaum that I'm surprised how many new guys there are that aren't afraid to smoke them.
Yup, I have quite a few and would never even think to put alcohol or salt near them. A bit dangerous for smokers on here giving advice to folks when they don't even have meerschaum. Not trying to upset anyone, but maybe when it comes to advice, stick to what you know.

Green Hill piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2023
Meer care is easy. No cake, clean hands, wipe with soft cloth after each use. As embers said, meer is extremely forgiving when it comes to a ghost. Simply smoke a blend you like and a few bowls after that the ghost is gone. I smoke Lakeland blends on occasion in some of mine and it takes a few bowls to get back to nutral.

Green Hill piper

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 1, 2023
Guess I'm going to have to give a meerschaum the cotton ball alcohol treatment.
You could send them to me instead, I run a shelter for unwanted pipes. These cruel and demoralizing tests you subject your meerschaum to in the name of science make me sweat and have nightmares. Save the meerschaum, kill a briar!🧐

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Duane,
I salute your dedication to research.
And willingness to place your pipes on the sacrificial altar
bdw
It's not going to hurt it. I wiped one down with straight isopropyl in another thread with no ill effect.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
As embers said, meer is extremely forgiving when it comes to a ghost.
Not exactly what I said. Meerschaum being a natural sponge ghosts worse than any pipe material. Sometimes going all the way to the outside of the stummel. I just suggested fighting a strong ghost with another strong ghost.

Reactions: Green Hill piper