PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigvan

Lifer
Mar 22, 2011
Having been accused of being a “pipe snob” by some, I made a promise to give a fair evaluation to a Dr. Grabow pipe and share the results. Here’s what I found…
I purchased a Dr. Grabow Grand Duke at my local Walgreens for about $30. I had a choice between a smooth billiard and a rusticated billiard (both were the same price) and I chose the rustic.

DrG01.jpg

After removing the pipe from its blister pack I examined it; the bowl was VERY small, the rustication was in a flame-like pattern, and the draft hole in the button was miniscule. I removed the stem and found an aluminum tenon and a 9mm filter (which is what I expected). The bowl itself seemed a bit heavy for its small size and the smooth sections had a very high gloss finish.

DrG02.jpg

The directions on the back of the blister pack (directions?!) were fairly serious about breaking in the pipe. Normally I just load up a new pipe and smoke, not paying much attention to breaking it in. But for the sake of the evaluation I followed the directions and loaded half a bowl of McClellands Arcadia. The charring light went OK, as did the second. The flavor of the Arcadia was evident though muted, but I attributed this to the filter. After smoking ½ of the tobacco (a quarter of the bowl) I removed the filter. Of course it was a MUCH easier draw and the flavor was more pronounced. The bit was not uncomfortable but had a very slight taste I couldn’t place. Not at all neutral. I finished the entire half bowl in about 10 minutes and there was no remaining dottle, so the draft hole seemed to be properly drilled, meeting the bowl at the bottom. I used thin pipe cleaners (the thick kind wouldn't fit through the tiny draft hole) to swab the stem and the bowl.
Two days later I loaded an entire bowl of Arcadia and fired it up without a filter. I got the bowl lit, but had a hard time keeping it lit. I don’t mind relights, but this was DEFINITELY more than normal and the odd taste of the bit was still evident throughout the smoke. During the entire smoke, the bowl did not get very hot at all. After about 20 minutes the bowl was spent, again with all the tobacco being smoked with no dottle.
Those are the facts. Now, based on those facts, here are my impressions of the experience:

- The rustication was, in my opinion, just plain ugly.

- The experience of ripping open a blister pack to extract a pipe reinforced the feeling of cheapness.

- The uneven, partially aluminum draft chamber feeding into a miniscule draft hole made for an odd, turbulent draw. I’m guessing this is what made the full bowl so hard to keep lit.

- I assume that the high weight to size is due to the wood being “green”; unaged/uncured. This would normally make for a very hot smoke, but the pipe remained surprisingly cool throughout. I’m guessing that, due to the small bowl, the pipe didn’t have enough time to heat up.
Conclusions on the Grand Duke

- The pipe is just too small for me.

- I don’t know what is causing the odd flavor to the bit; it’s not a “plastic” taste, nor a “metallic” taste but whatever it is it’s distracting and unappealing.

- I dislike the rustication enough to not want to smoke it. For me, part of the enjoyment comes from admiring the pipe for its look, it’s hand feel and it’s tooth feel.

- Despite my overall dislike for the pipe, I will admit that it’s much better made than I expected it to be and consider it to be worth the price I paid.
Addendum:

Right after I bought the Grand Duke, I also bought a Parker Jockey Club billiard from Cup o’Joes.com for about $50. I put it through the same paces that I did the Grabow (after removing the dang stinger, of course).

Parker01.jpg

The size of the bowl was much more to my liking and the blast was beautiful. The black finish was laid on a bit thick, though, but overall I thought it was far more aesthetically pleasing than the Grand Duke.

Parker02.jpg

As far as smoking, the Parker had a consistent draw, did not heat up and held enough tobacco for a full one hour smoke. The bit was comfortable and had no odd flavor to it. The draft hole was properly drilled and the mortise and tenon met nearly flush.
Comparing the two, I far prefer the Parker. Yes, the Grand Duke is worth the $30 I paid for it, but for only $20 more I could have the Parker which will smoke longer, has a much more appealing look and feel, has a proper mortice and tenon, and doesn’t have an odd taste to the bit; it’s just a better pipe. For those who think that a pipe is merely an instrument to deliver tobacco, I can see why a Dr. Grabow is all that you’ll ever need. But for me, it gave no joy. Owning it is like owning a spoon, or a screwdriver, or a pencil; a functional tool but that’s all.
Now I don't know what I'm going to do with the Grand Duke; I doubt I'll ever smoke it again. How about this... If anyone else would like to do the same comparison and is willing to share his experience, let me know. I will send both pipes to the first person who PMs me stating "I accept the challenge".

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
If you were in the UK, I would have gladly accepted the challenge, but the postage from USA would probably be quite expensive. We don't get Dr. Grabow pipes here, but do have a budget brand called Dr. Plumb. I wonder why budget brands choose to have a "Doctor" in the title? Any one any ideas?

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I think the good Dr G has made a good living making a working mans pipe . You want to smoke on limited time while at work the Dr G is just the ticket . If you leave your pipe at home one can be had at just about any drug store . If you are on a fishing trip it does not hurt so bad if it goes overboard .The ugly rustication is just the ticket for oil soaked hands when working out in the garage on the car or the lawnmower . But lets be honest what Dr G does best is sell pipes and lots of them . And they have done so for many years . A pipe that can be had for a fair price and has started more people pipe smoking than any of the other brands combined . I would have skipped lunch for a week or two and got the Parker though . I will bet one of the newer pipe smokers will take you up on that offer and add to thier collection . This is very generous offer and hope it goes to someone who is just starting out .

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
There could well be quality issues with the new ones made, I can't say as my only experience with Dr.G's are all older estates and a NOS Westbrook.

Lacquer type of finish, some of the rustication used, agreed, not the best of the best.

I actually prefer the smaller bowls, the airway size seems to work well for me as well, never an issue with keeping a bowl lit.
As I've not tried a new production Dr.G I must say, hella good evaluation bigvan!

Hats off to you for a interesting trial and as a result of said, if I pick up any more Dr.G's I think I'll stay with estates.
ETA: And kudos on extending the offer for further comparisons!

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Some random Grabow input.....
I own several Grabow.
1. Special 11 series (straight smooth), filter style
2. Grand Duke, rusticated, filter style
3. Savoy, non filter style with (removable) stinger
4. Viscount Adjustomatic, non filter style with (removable) stinger
5. CDL, filter style
Also, to be noted, all my "filter style" pipes are smoked without a filter, and that should be noted in regards to my remarks.
As well, I have two pipes that fit into the general Grabow theme, although they are not Grabow. One is a Westbrook, non filter style, and the other is a Briar Master that dates, so far as I can tell, to the 1950's.
I am NOT a pipe snob by any means. Certain pipes appeal to me for aesthetic reasons, as we all can relate. However, much like cars, women, bikes, guns, dogs and ad infinitum, what appeals to one man in a pipe may not to the next. But a "cheap basket pipe", to me, has as much potential as any other pipe.
Having said that, it is my general impressions that the "older" Grabows smoke much better than the newer. By that, I mean that the filter style pipes do not smoke that well at all. My Savoy smokes very well. My Series 11, I do not really care to smoke at all. The Viscount smokes very well, the Grand Duke, not so well. The Briar Master smokes nicely, and I feel with a certain historical panache. As does the Westbrook, although not as historically.
Oddly enough, to me, the filter style Grabows smoke much like the Carey Magic Inch system. The draw is too big and puffy.
Now, to confuse matters even more, my CDL (obtained via trade from EJames) is a filter Grabow that smokes quite well. This is likely due to its overall stem design being long and thin, and the filter component is at the end and quite utilitarian.
Your opinion may change, regarding the grabows, if you found an estate pipe that is not the filter system. They can be had on Ebay in the $10 range quite often. Obviously, it may not be worth it just to prove a point to yourself.
There is a cure for those with snobbish tendencies on a Grabow budget, and that is to bullshit your way to class.
Some may have noted that I smoke the Italian Grabows, which are rare and difficult to obtain, but if one has connections.....
Today, in fact, my tastes may run to smoking by Dottore G "Grande Duca", as it was my first true "smoking pipe" that taught me to smoke a pipe, in spite of its faults and limitations.
Or, I may fire up my "Sea De El"......

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
as an aside....
I purchased a Keyser Hygenic for Mattia for $10. It is a "system" pipe, and seems to be popular in South Africa amongst farmers, due to its budget price and durability. The "system" is a bitch of a bitch to clean, but it smokes quite well and enjoyably, despite some bad reviews online (such few as can be found on the Keyser pipes, seeing as how most South African farmers who smoke pipes are not on the internet that often).

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The bit was not uncomfortable but had a very slight taste I couldn’t place. Not at all neutral.
Did you clean the stem and shank with alcohol before smoking? Like some other brands I've heard about the newer Grabows may have some stain in the tenon and mortise-the last new one I bought did. That may be where your strange taste was coming from.The stem are made from ABS plastic and when I have my dentures in I find them to be a bit thick at the button.But since my dentures are out more than they are in it's not a problem! :D
The uneven, partially aluminum draft chamber feeding into a miniscule draft hole made for an odd, turbulent draw. I’m guessing this is what made the full bowl so hard to keep lit.

Don't understand the "miniscule" part. EVERY Grabow I've had has a 5/32" (4MM) airway in the shank. The AbS stems have a rectangular airway through their entire length and it is the same height and width for the entire length.I've always found them to be wide open-actually too wide open which is one reason I use the filters.When I clean one of the ABS stem I use a doubled pipe cleaner because of their width and have no problems pushing it all the way through the stem. I have seen a couple of stem that have a little"casting flash" that partially blocks the hole right at the end of the button.
I assume that the high weight to size is due to the wood being “green”; unaged/uncured.

Not sure what they do now but I know that they used to keep a two to three year supply of briar in their warehouse.

But at any rate I would think that if the wood was totally green and uncured they would be having pipes returned to the factory by the truck load.During my two tours of the factory there was always several long rows of pallets with bags of briar on them.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
As well, I have two pipes that fit into the general Grabow theme, although they are not Grabow. One is a Westbrook, non filter style, and the other is a Briar Master that dates, so far as I can tell, to the 1950's.

Please pardon my advancing bout with CRS. How is the Westbrook not a Grabow?

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Thanks for the comments, Bigvan. That simply reinforces my belief that I'd rather spend $60 on one Stanwell estate than on 2 Dr. G's. :puffy:

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
OTD--the Westbrook and several other lines of Grabows were not available through regular retail stores. They could only be purchased through RJ Reynolds coupon offers.Send in the coupons and a few bucks--to the DG factory in Sparta- and they would send you your pipe of choice. But like all other lines "by" Dr. Grabow they are stamped--Dr. Grabow.

Jun 26, 2011
Pacific Northwest USA
OK, lol, the 2 of ya have me chasin' my tail now (-:
I'm familiar with the coupon aspect of the Westbrook, pretty cool in itself that I got one NOS as it were, but porta, your the one that threw me for a loop with, "I have two pipes that fit into the general Grabow theme, although they are not Grabow. One is a Westbrook,..."
Deary me... time for another cup of coffee and a bowl.

I think I'll go and smoke my Dr. Grabow "Westbrook" billiard (-;

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
Withnail--Dr. Grabow was not always a "brand" name. It started out as one of several lines of pipes made by M. Linkman Co. This history I borrowed from RJ McKay's website-- http://drgrabow-pipe-info.com/

He and Dr. Bridges have been working several years to piece together the history of DG.
Dr. Grabow Pipe History -- a Brief Overview

by Dr. D.R. Bridges, last update 12-08-2008.
The Dr. Grabow as an identifiable brand of pipes began in 1931, as the brainchild of Louis B. Linkman and Dr. Paul Grabow. Linkman was owner of M. Linkman & Co., which had been making pipes since 1892 under the MLC brand. The Grabow family history is that Linkman and Dr. Grabow used to meet for a smoke and bull session in Brown’s Drug Store in Lincoln Park. During one of their discussions, Linkman told Grabow he had an idea for a new line of innovative pipes, and he wanted to use Dr. Grabow’s name and endorsement. We don’t know Linkman’s new idea behind these pipes, but suspect it was the 2-scoop aluminum cleaner, featuring a saliva trap and a nicotine trap, which also functioned as a scraping tool to remove residue from the bowl.
The Dr. Grabow pipe was only one of several pipe brands made at the Linkman plant on W. Fullerton Ave., but they must have earned the public’s approval, because a 1937 Linkman publication shows sales of their Dr. Grabow pipes increased by approximately 8-fold in their first six years.
Dr. Grabow pipe sales continued to increase and in October of 1944, the Dr. Grabow Pipe Co. was formed and incorporated. Its founding incorporators included Richard J. Dean, Angelo Pinasco, and Harry A. Shapiro. The corporate address remained in the M. Linkman building on W. Fullerton. We have found no evidence showing that anyone other than M. Linkman produced the Dr. Grabow pipe for the Dr. Grabow Pipe Co. of Chicago.
In February of 1953, the Dr. Grabow Pipe Co. filed corporate dissolution papers. The next month in March, Henry Leonard and Thomas of Greensboro, North Carolina announced they had acquired the Dr. Grabow and M. Linkman business. The Chicago factory continued to produce Dr. Grabow pipes for a few months until manufacturing equipment could be moved from Chicago to HL&T’s factory, Sparta Pipes, in Sparta, North Carolina. In December of 1953 the Dr. Grabow Pipe Co., corporation of Chicago finally dissolved.
HL&T continued to produce the Dr. Grabow pipes under their previous model names for the first few years, but with new shapes HL&T had developed for their Royalton brand of pipes. By 1956, the Dr. Grabow Pipe Co. advertised their new line of Savoy pipes for $2.00, and throughout the rest of the 1950s and in the early 1960s the Dr. Grabow Pipe Co. announced new lines of pipes – the Riviera and Regal in 1957, the Starfire in 1958, the Viscount and Eldorado in 1961. Also during the 1950s, the Dr. Grabow Pipe Co. introduced their filtered Duke line of pipes using the new Duke paper filters.
Sparta Pipes wasn’t the only factory involved in manufacturing Dr. Grabow pipes for HL&T. Until 1984, So La Res Spa of Livorno Italy produced “little” Dukes and Larks. Missouri Meerschaum produced Dr. Grabow corn cob pipes. Italian and Greek makers such as Gigi produced meerschaum lined Dr. Grabow pipes.
In 1969, US Tobacco acquired Sparta Pipes and rights to Dr. Grabow. This acquisition infused the company with new capital and secured its future. A new factory was completed in 1978, and the old cramped quarters were abandoned. US Tobacco bought out Henry Leonard & Thomas in 1982, and closed the Greensboro sales office.
In 1992, Lane Ltd. acquired the Dr. Grabow property from US Tobacco. Lane Ltd. came under ownership of RJ Reynolds and British American Tobacco in about 2000. James Burns of BAT purchased the Dr. Grabow/Sparta business in 2006, and it is now under his sole ownership.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
Probably not a separation worth worrying about.
My Westbrook is stamped "Dr.Grabow". However, at least to my understanding (and from what I interpret Ejames to be stating, as well), the Westbrook is a "line" produced by the Grabow factory, that is separate from the more familiar "Dr. Grabow" pipes we all know.
The Briar Master pipe I have, so far as I can tell (and after some investigations with Ejames) precedes the acquisition of the line by Grabow. However, it is such a close relationship that I, informally, consider it a Grabow styled pipe.
In any case, I am not attempting to be an historian or make some definitive remark about Westbrooks or Grabows. Only that the Westbrook smokes better than its Grabow cousins that utilize filters, and just as well as those that do not.

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
Thanks for the information ejames. I always find it interesting to learn a little about the history of often mentioned brands. I'll now have to do a quick search to see why Dr. Plumb got their name.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
I am glad you gave Grabow a try. I just recently took the challenge myself. I can agree that upon inspection It's easy to sayOK Here's why they're so cheap.I think your choice of shape/style will ultimately impact your experience. I chose a bent Savoy, which resembles in shape a nice Wellington I bought in my sleep recently, one that I like. I totally ignored the directions as the bowl was pre-carbonized. Deep sixed the filter and filled the bowl to the top with Penzance. No complaints. Will it replace my Ciro, favorite Meer or even my favorite cob? Would I hesitate to reccommend one as a cheap start to a great journey? No way!

Status
Not open for further replies.