PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
These are lies…

1. You can be anything you want to be.
-Your teachers lied to you.

2. It won’t bother you if you don’t bother it.
-Your mother lied to you. I’ve been stung by both bees and wasps, & not once was I ever bothering them. In fact, I was very much going out of my way to avoid bothering them.

3. There are no stupid questions.
-Well, I’m probably about to prove this wrong.

Yesterday, I noticed my my taste for usual fave English has just waned a bit. MM965. Still love it. Just need a break.

And this morning I woke up with a hankering for MacB’s Vanilla Cream.

But…

I still want to smoke my fave pipe.

On a scale of 1 to the St. Louis Cardinals, how stupid am I if I smoke that aro in my fave pipe that’s usually reserved for Englishes?

Oh, and Go Cubs.

Last edited:

dctune

Part of the Furniture Now
How strongly is that aro topped? I haven't had it, so I don't know. Had St. Espresso and I left my System pipe uncleaned. Just hair left and was gonna finish it later. I'm thinking what's the worst that could happen? English with bad coffee?
One of the reasons I love MacB Vanilla is bc, while it’s present, the flavoring doesn’t completely overpower the Virginias. It smells stronger from the tin than it smokes IMHO.

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
I'm with the others. Don't (usually) be fastidious about pipe dedications.

In the world of food, liking two things is no evidence that those things will go well together. E.g. I like (good) mayonnaise, and I like English toffee. I would not like them together.

But in the world of pipe tobacco, I have not found such clashes to exist. A vanilla or Lakeland or latakia ghost has only ever added an interesting dimension to whatever I smoked next.

(If you ever have a Unicorn VA that deserves to be smoked in a ghostless bowl, no problem, just smoke out any ghost with a few bowls of cheap VA and you're ready to roll.)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
For me I would never take a favorite pipe that is an English one and then smoke aromatics in it. I am a staunch believer in dedicating pipes to certain genres and then having blends for specific pipes.

I do this because I spend good money on my tobacco(flakes and plugs) and I expect a perfect smoke every time out as I stick to my system. Many people think I am nuts, others think my way is the best for them, but the bottom line is you do what works for you and what gives you the most pleasure as that is what pipe smoking is. Just because I do things one way doesn't mean you should. There plenty of guys who have their one or two OTC's with only a couple of pipes and are as happy as can be. Who am I to judge what is better?

SBC

Lifer
Oct 6, 2021
NE Wisconsin
For me I would never take a favorite pipe that is an English one and then smoke aromatics in it. I am a staunch believer in dedicating pipes to certain genres and then having blends for specific pipes.

I do this because I spend good money on my tobacco(flakes and plugs) and I expect a perfect smoke every time out as I stick to my system. Many people think I am nuts, others think my way is the best for them, but the bottom line is you do what works for you and what gives you the most pleasure as that is what pipe smoking is. Just because I do things one way doesn't mean you should. There plenty of guys who have their one or two OTC's with only a couple of pipes and are as happy as can be. Who am I to judge what is better?
The fact is, this was a disappointingly humble response, from you. I'd like to see a more oppositional attitude, moving forward.
I'm sure that we won't have to talk about this again. That will be all. I'm glad that we had this talk.