PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Apr 26, 2023
clacton on sea UK
Edited title and body.

I used to smoke a pipe a few year's ago and I have to start again. Got a used Falcon and some Clan tobacco but not going so well; does not draw too well and the taste is not good. Can someone please help me with a better pipe and tobacco?

Last edited by a moderator:

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Falcon should be a tidy pipe. Some people don't like the appearance, but we can't all like the same thing.
Maybe a good cleaning will help it.

Do you have a preference for a certain type of tobacco? Also which part of the world are you from? Your answers will help us point you towards something perhaps more to your liking.

Welcome to the site.

Are you any relation to Dai Thomas who also joined a few moments ago?

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Welcome, given your choice of a Falcon and Clan I'm guessing you're somewhere in GB. I'd give that falcon a good scrubbing inside and out, it should be a perfectly servicable pipe.

Reactions: edger

Flatfish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 20, 2022
West Wales
Clan. All sorts in it.

Maybe try Capstan. Straight Virginias. Quite popular.

In the UK it can be obtained in a smaller pouch. Therefore cheaper. Not so much waste if you don't like it.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
One thing that is true of all pipe smokers is we are a frugal lot. Remember to not pack the pipe tightly and to smoke slowly. If it draws harder than good cigar you have packed it too tight.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
Falcons are good reliable pipes, that said: The first step is to thoroughly clean the pipe. Using high-octane alcohol and pipe cleaners should do the trick. Treat the bowl to salt (or cotton ball) and alcohol treatment. There are posts here as well as YouTube videos on how to do this. I don't know anything about Clan, in general, make sure your tobacco is sufficiently dry, and don't pack too tight. Smoke slowly to tease out the flavor of the tobacco.

Good luck

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Please put your location in your Profile, as people are forgetful.
Why: It will save time for others as to where you live when you mention local stores, weather, tobacco prices, availability, regulations, location of photos, wildfires, air quality, etc. In many instances that saves time for those who read your posts, and for you in not having to reply to inquiries. .
How:
Under your avatar, (top right, left most of three symbols) you choose "Account Details", which brings up "My Account". "My Location" is halfway down. Whatever you're comfortable with- town, city, county, state. province, etc.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Edited title and body.

I used to smoke a pipe a few year's ago and I have to start again. Got a used Falcon and some Clan tobacco but not going so well; does not draw too well and the taste is not good. Can someone please help me with a better pipe and tobacco?
Anything as far as the tobacco. The Falcon is a pretty decent pipe. But what's more key is technique. There is a lot of stuff about technique. Oh and by the way Clan is one of those hate/love blends. I've never had it and often like the blends that a few love and most despise (mixture 79 is freaking great stuff). Oh and from what I've heard about Clan it's not really a great new guy smoke. As far as draw goes that's probably packing unless you got a defective pipe.

Apr 26, 2023
clacton on sea UK
Falcon should be a tidy pipe. Some people don't like the appearance, but we can't all like the same thing.
Maybe a good cleaning will help it.

Do you have a preference for a certain type of tobacco? Also which part of the world are you from? Your answers will help us point you towards something perhaps more to your liking.

Welcome to the site.

Are you any relation to Dai Thomas who also joined a few moments ago?
no