Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Jun 9, 2015
Mission, Ks
Welcome to the forum, you should pop over to the introduction thread and tell us a little bit about yourself. 😉

I generally recommend starting with Carter Hall. But just about any OTC or thier bulk equivalents are a good place to start. RLP6 and 1Q are good, as is HGL. SWR, Velvet, & Prince Albert are also good options.

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
I would recommend you do NOT fall for the wonderful smelling vanilla/cherry/whatever blends that they'll likely have lots of in jars for you to smell. I almost never made it past that wet, swampy trap of gooped-up leaf! It almost never provides a good starting point for pipe smoking.

If you haven't done any reading on blends that make you feel comfortable with purchasing an entire tin of something, then certainly get small samples, but get brand name samples that avoid tempting you with flavors of various fruits and similar, if you can.

Otherwise go with "old-fashioned / codger" blends that are easy on the palate and provide a smooth foundation. Explore from there.

You want to learn to enjoy tobacco, not the combustion of artificial flavorings.

dunnyboy

Lifer
Jul 6, 2018
New York

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
All good suggestions from other posters. Not knowing what your local tobacconist has in stock makes it difficult to make suggestions. If they carry what they say is their house blends, more then likely their renamed Lane Limited blends. If you have a sales person who is knowledgeable in pipe tobacco blends you might ask that person to make some recommendations. Tell him/her that your a first time pipe smoker and trying to find your way. Get about an ounce each of blends you think you'll like and go from there. Don't be suckered into buying alot of one blend because if you don't like it then your stuck with tobacco you'll never smoke and you will have wasted your money. So far as a starter pipe, I'd recommend a Missouri Meerschaum Corn Cob pipe. You'll be able to taste each blend alot better.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
You want to learn to enjoy tobacco, not the combustion of artificial flavorings.

True; however, don’t discount them forever. If you learn how to burn those artificial flavorings, you can open up an entirely new world of pipe smoking that most consider to be gimmicky and not worth their time. To be fair, the right aromatics are required, but with a little practice, you can find the advertised flavors.

I wouldn’t have believed it until @Chasing Embers hit on the point numerous times. I went far enough down the rabbit hole to learn what works for me, and now some of my favorite blends are aromatics.

Having said that, I’d definitely say reserve them until a later date. As mentioned, stick with OTC/codger blends for a nice introduction. Your B&M should be very helpful in this regard. If they start asking you about what flavors you like, tell them that you’re more interested in a blend that burns easily without much fuss, that doesn’t have an overwhelming flavor in any direction, and that doesn’t require a ton of drying time. If they make a recommendation and the tobacco looks gooey and clumpy and smells like a dessert, perhaps avoid it (unless you’re just being kind).

A second bit of advice - if you end up buying something and it simply doesn’t work for you, I wouldn’t throw it away just yet. Grab some mason jars and throw anything that doesn’t resonate with you, right now, into them to reserve for a later date. You may find that once your technique has been refined a bit, those ostensibly bad blends become ones you reach for more frequently in the future.

Let us know how it goes!

FLDRD

Lifer
Oct 13, 2021
Arkansas
True; however, don’t discount them forever. If you learn how to burn those artificial flavorings, you can open up an entirely new world of pipe smoking that most consider to be gimmicky and not worth their time. To be fair, the right aromatics are required, but with a little practice, you can find the advertised flavors.

I wouldn’t have believed it until @Chasing Embers hit on the point numerous times. I went far enough down the rabbit hole to learn what works for me, and now some of my favorite blends are aromatics.

Having said that, I’d definitely say reserve them until a later date. As mentioned, stick with OTC/codger blends for a nice introduction. Your B&M should be very helpful in this regard. If they start asking you about what flavors you like, tell them that you’re more interested in a blend that burns easily without much fuss, that doesn’t have an overwhelming flavor in any direction, and that doesn’t require a ton of drying time. If they make a recommendation and the tobacco looks gooey and clumpy and smells like a dessert, perhaps avoid it (unless you’re just being kind).

A second bit of advice - if you end up buying something and it simply doesn’t work for you, I wouldn’t throw it away just yet. Grab some mason jars and throw anything that doesn’t resonate with you, right now, into them to reserve for a later date. You may find that once your technique has been refined a bit, those ostensibly bad blends become ones you reach for more frequently in the future.

Let us know how it goes!
I do feel "aromatics" have their place, and I've come back to them. But starting out on them very nearly ruined me and I cannot imagine what it would take to truly be successful if starting on that path - I only managed because somehow I was convinced the pipe was for me and after months of attempts from my local B&M jars, I found my way via codger blends - most particularly for me: Carter Hall.

That was the beginning of a more pleasurable path, which led to English blends and beyond!

Now I've an open tin of Ennerdale, We 3 Kings, a sample of Bob's Chocolate Flake, etc. in my repertoire. I still don't advise starting there.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I do feel "aromatics" have their place, and I've come back to them. But starting out on them very nearly ruined me and I cannot imagine what it would take to truly be successful if starting on that path - I only managed because somehow I was convinced the pipe was for me and after months of attempts from my local B&M jars, I found my way via codger blends - most particularly for me: Carter Hall.

That was the beginning of a more pleasurable path, which led to English blends and beyond!

Now I've an open tin of Ennerdale, We 3 Kings, a sample of Bob's Chocolate Flake, etc. in my repertoire. I still don't advise starting there.

And I agree with you 100%. I also got the original advice that aromatics were cheap, shitty, and should be avoided at all costs. I just like pointing out that they aren’t necessarily a terrible product, that they’re better when reserved for a time when someone has refined his/her process in general.

I think the majority of folks start there after smelling pipe smoke somewhere. They think the room note was excellent so it must be one of these incredible flavored tobaccos. Just pointing out that they have their place, but in the first bowls someone smokes, it is not.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Just off the cuff, I'll go along with 5star on the Sir Walter Raleigh Aromatic, which has a burley base (that is the largest proportion tobacco) and a condimental (supporting) proportion of Virginia, flavored with three liqueurs which give a sweetness without completely masking the tobacco flavors.

There are plenty of flavored tobaccos, about 90% plus of the pipe tobacco market, in all kinds of fruit, beverage, and food flavors. However Sir Walter will allow you to also taste the tobacco, in a mild way, and it burns fairly evenly and well, which some blends don't do as well.

Reactions: MattRVA and yanoJL