PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Fifty or so years ago every grocery store in Missouri carried twist tobacco, but even then it seemed a product kept in limited amounts for old codgers about my age, today.

The brands I remember were Cotton Boll, Honey Bee, and Good Money. My grandfather, born in 1880, claimed Cotton Boll tasted exactly like the old Long Green home grown his father raised.

Most old timers chewed twist, but it is smokable. Shredded Cotton Boll is a pure nicotine bomb.

Yesterday I bought a fresh (made June 8 2022) twist of Good Money Sweet Twist and shredded some in a coffee grinder.

CD80DF0D-5E99-40C8-90ED-56CB78BDFED4.jpeg8601FB9C-FA6E-4C05-906B-0C4702444351.jpegE6F54EB8-5972-4127-97E3-7229463B334A.jpeg

Frankly, Good Money is chewing and not smoking tobacco.

Any OTC burley based blend such as PA, CH, SWR, or Velvet is much more flavorful and rewarding.

Good Money isn’t bad, it’s just not all that good. It’s a basic burley taste, with a disappointingly low amount of nicotine, flavored with what I taste as molasses and licorice.

Unless you like to chew, save your money for better.

condorlover1

Lifer
Dec 22, 2013
New York
@solideogloria86 That the one. I was racking my brains for the name. Weezell sent me a bunch of the stuff the other year and that like the other one is very difficult to find. Apparently I have been told it is far more prevalent in places like West Virginia and parts of Tennessee. Strangely it just doesn't seem to show up in our corner of the South and all I seem to find is pots of Railroad and Scotch navy snuff.

Piping Rooster

Can't Leave
Jun 29, 2022
Champa Bay
@solideogloria86 That the one. I was racking my brains for the name. Weezell sent me a bunch of the stuff the other year and that like the other one is very difficult to find. Apparently I have been told it is far more prevalent in places like West Virginia and parts of Tennessee. Strangely it just doesn't seem to show up in our corner of the South and all I seem to find is pots of Railroad and Scotch navy snuff.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
It seems that R C Owen Company of Gallatin Tennessee is a small tobacco company specializing in twist tobacco.

It makes these brands:

• Allen County natural leaf twist
  • Axton natural leaf twist
  • Futurity natural leaf twist
  • Good Money sweet twist
  • Hornet natural leaf twist
  • King B sweet twist
  • Rail Road natural leaf twist
  • Red Oak sweet twist
  • Red Ox natural leaf twist
  • Silver Tip fired twist
  • White Mule sweet twist
  • Wild Duck natural leaf twist
  • Winchester all-Burley natural leaf twist

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
You must have a song to go with a thread title like that.
Love of money was the root of all evil in the Missouri Ozarks, when I was growing up.

Here’s an old sacred song bad mouthing money from Red Foley, Porter Wagoner, and Jeanie Shepard from 1955 performed live on the Ozark Jubilee, Springfield Missouri.

Do you remember the night Red Foley died?

All true sons and daughters of the hills, were taught the wages of the bottle harvested an early death.

Wine is a mocker, and strong drink is raging, and too much money led Red Foley down a path to ruin.

Last edited:

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
@Briar Lee : That's interesting as I wasn't that far off when I said Tennessee! I wonder if they have a factory shop?

They do not - production facility only. I spend a lot of time in rural Tennessee for work and stop in lots of gas stations. It is very hard to find twist tobacco for sale - I know one store in Springfield, which is DFK central, that carries Mammoth Cave twist, but is a strong, strong local Burley.

Incidentally, most chewers appear to have switched to dip because it's slightly less messy and generally much stronger in effect. I rarely see a farmer with a plug in his maw. The few chewers seem to focus on Levi Garrett and Red Man. One I saw with twist, but it was King B, so of no interest to me as a pipe smoker.

The twists are (evidentially) still being made

Reactions: FurCoat and romaso

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
@Briar Lee : That's interesting as I wasn't that far off when I said Tennessee! I wonder if they have a factory store?

I’ve spent twenty wonderful minutes on the phone to a lady that’s worked over thirty years at R C Owen.

1. They do have a factory store—her. Stop by and she’ll sell you all the twists you want.

2. Otherwise it’s a wholesale only operation. Since the quit making Red Cap and Old Hillside about thirty years ago, they make about 11 different brands of hand twisted tobacco.

3. It’s all done by hand.

4. There are two sizes, giant and small. Giant twists are about double the price.

5. Many of their brands are the same product with different names on the package.

6. Good Money and King B are the same sweet, mild, flavored twists, different names on the package only.

7. Silver Tip is the strongest, dark fired leaf.

8. Hornet and Red Ox are both natural one sucker tobacco. Recommended.

9. Regulations keep the label as chewing tobacco. The products haven’t changed.

Jul 17, 2017
NV
pencilandpipe.home.blog
I've never seen Good money before today,but it immediately reminded me of King B which was always on the shelves at grocery stores in Western NC growing up.
From ages 5-12 I preferred Redman Golden Blend, but I remember trying King B a time or two. It was very dry to chew and took a while to get juiced up. Tore my gums up. The only thing I remember being worse was Cannon Ball Plug.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
The lady at R C Owen was very helpful to explain the majority of their products were made from One Sucker tobaccos, not burley.

One Sucker is a very old variety, more than a century old.

Let’s say the maker has to pay $4 a pound for One Sucker.

That’s only 25 cents an ounce, and an ounce makes a small twist.

There isn’t a lot of volume anymore making twist but the profit margins are high.

visualmemory

Lurker
Sep 22, 2022
Sir, I'm deeply sorry to say you did everything wrong. I might have some greenhorn's advice to (maybe) make your experience with smoking twist a little bit better. Well, maybe not. I've got some experience with twists/ropes made of Virginia by S.Gawith or G&H I always mismatch them and after merging I don't know who does what. Generally speaking, after some time they were better than straight of the pouch. And after some time in a jar they were better than after some time off the pouch. And after some drying time (as a whole) they were even better. And then, as I was smoking them off the jar, every like week they were even better. Then gone. Well finally have to say that. Straight from the pouch got stench of old warderobe, not very appetizing. Fortunatelly, after some time stench was gone.

I was also treating it gentle, with care. Just cutting some coins with pocket knife of french shepherds, then gently crumbling some and got some whole coins on the top of the bowl of rough crumbles. Coffee grinder... Blasphemy...

Don't know if Burley like tobacco will behave like that, but It's always a good time to tell some story! Hope you have that coffee grinder separate just for tobacco!

pantsBoots

Lifer
Jul 21, 2020
Terra Firma
The lady at R C Owen was very helpful to explain the majority of their products were made from One Sucker tobaccos, not burley.

One Sucker is a very old variety, more than a century old.

One Sucker is a Burley tobacco, specifically a Madole Burley, very similar to the Madole strain used to make Perique. And she is correct - One Sucker is the most common ingredient used for dips and chews.

Reactions: Puff nstuff