Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

towhee89

Might Stick Around
Sep 28, 2021
Morganton, North Carolina
I’ve spent twenty wonderful minutes on the phone to a lady that’s worked over thirty years at R C Owen.

1. They do have a factory store—her. Stop by and she’ll sell you all the twists you want.

2. Otherwise it’s a wholesale only operation. Since the quit making Red Cap and Old Hillside about thirty years ago, they make about 11 different brands of hand twisted tobacco.

3. It’s all done by hand.

4. There are two sizes, giant and small. Giant twists are about double the price.

5. Many of their brands are the same product with different names on the package.

6. Good Money and King B are the same sweet, mild, flavored twists, different names on the package only.

7. Silver Tip is the strongest, dark fired leaf.

8. Hornet and Red Ox are both natural one sucker tobacco. Recommended.

9. Regulations keep the label as chewing tobacco. The products haven’t changed.
This is a great post. Sorry to resurrect from the dead but I wonder if one is able to order direct from them. Doubtful as it is chewing tobacco per fda guidelines. I could find 2 rc Owen twists at Ingles but now they are all gone. Sad news. That was the only place I could find the rc Owen. I did smoke a dried out mammoth cave and that is some strong stuff on par with Bold Kentucky and the like. I am a chewer with these twists usually but it is interesting to smoke them.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
They do not - production facility only. I spend a lot of time in rural Tennessee for work and stop in lots of gas stations. It is very hard to find twist tobacco for sale - I know one store in Springfield, which is DFK central, that carries Mammoth Cave twist, but is a strong, strong local Burley.

Incidentally, most chewers appear to have switched to dip because it's slightly less messy and generally much stronger in effect. I rarely see a farmer with a plug in his maw. The few chewers seem to focus on Levi Garrett and Red Man. One I saw with twist, but it was King B, so of no interest to me as a pipe smoker.

The twists are (evidentially) still being made
If I chew, and I do at times, I perfer Cannon Ball.

Aug 1, 2012
@Briar Lee if you would be willing to send some of those twists you mention my way, I'd pay and be grateful. If not, not a worry. Drop me a PM if that's something you would do. Sounds really interesting.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
This is a great post. Sorry to resurrect from the dead but I wonder if one is able to order direct from them. Doubtful as it is chewing tobacco per fda guidelines. I could find 2 rc Owen twists at Ingles but now they are all gone. Sad news. That was the only place I could find the rc Owen. I did smoke a dried out mammoth cave and that is some strong stuff on par with Bold Kentucky and the like. I am a chewer with these twists usually but it is interesting to smoke them.

You can call the lady and ask, but I’ll bet they can only retail on the premises.

The taxes on tobacco are complex, and have been worked out over two hundred years.

I’ll bet you’d need a tax ID number to order, and then not less than a box of twists.

Reactions: towhee89

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
@Briar Lee if you would be willing to send some of those twists you mention my way, I'd pay and be grateful. If not, not a worry. Drop me a PM if that's something you would do. Sounds really interesting.
The lady that owns the shop quit ordering them.

So my source is gone!.:)

Go to a local smoke shop near you, one that the owner is in there.

Ask them to order what you want.

Then buy them when they come in, or else they’ll not order more.

Aug 1, 2012
The lady that owns the shop quit ordering them.

So my source is gone!.:)

Go to a local smoke shop near you, one that the owner is in there.

Ask them to order what you want.

Then buy them when they come in, or else they’ll not order more.
Sadly I'm in an area with not much access to much more than the Smoker Friendly blends I go to other sources when available.

Sorry to hear of one more source disappearing.

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
Sadly I'm in an area with not much access to much more than the Smoker Friendly blends I go to other sources when available.

Sorry to hear of one more source disappearing.
The owner of our local liquor store told me once, he didn’t have one thing in the store anybody needed.

He stayed in business providing what people wanted.

Ask the owner of a small liquor and smoke shop to order in twist.

Give them the brand.

They’ll likely do it.

But then buy the stuff,,,after it comes.:)

pepperandjack

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 21, 2023
West Carpathian ToodleOoh
Anytime someone writes of twist, I think plug, and I have a terrible jones for plug, based on an old memory by a member long-retired. Anyway, he told me the awesome compression, or any compression for that matter, undergone by tobacco destined to be plug causes it to be heated, and that heat fosters fermentation. Well, I'm all for fermentation. Tell me if I've got it right.

So this thread on arcane American twists got my attention. But unfortunately Embers says they are all a horror in the pipe, so they're out.

But lo! all is not lost, mapacho for $71.00 a pound from Grandfrather Spirit is less than half of of buying from the South American Indians through etsy dealers.

But you should beware that nicotiana rustica is some 10 times stronger than nicotiana tobacum and can cause hallucinations. But then again you may be a fan of little green men dancing on the shank! lol

Last edited: