PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

reichenbach

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
Sometimes I get nervous about driving and pipe smoking late at night and I was not about to fire the cob on 4/20. Aggravation I do not need. Our locals are a tremendous group of jumped-up gobshites though with a well-earned reputation for being such. Anyway, sorry to hear you got pulled over on your porch.

mjtannen

Can't Leave
Jan 3, 2011
Ha Ha...funny police call post. When I was the responding cop I would have come to investigate along with my pipe and so would my Sarge. We shared a patrol car and enjoyed our pipes together. Now that would have been a hoot and a half...

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
You should have jumped up, thrown your tin of baccy in the bushes and took off running. You would've got your ass kicked, but the neighbors would have had a hell of a show. :rofl:

dongreyface

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 6, 2011
Marietta, Ohio
That thought goes through my head evertime a car drives past my house while I'm lighting a bowl. Hopefully my neighbours know me well enough to know I don't do that *explitive deleted*.

captainbob

Oct 5, 2010
If it was Captain Bob's Blend they would have hauled your ass off to jail! Me thinks the aromatic might be illegal!
Just kidding :)

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

lazydog

Apr 24, 2012
couldn't happen in my hood cause the nayboors are the ones smokin the other stuff. :lol: :(

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Seems the cops have lots of time on their hands with nothing better to do than follow-up on a low priority call.

logandow

Jul 29, 2011
Oregon
Oddly enough I've not had any problems with the cops. And pot is everywhere where I live

philip

Lifer
Oct 13, 2011
Puget Sound
I sometimes get a fuuny look or comment, usually from kids who don't quite seem to know how to dress themselves. But whoever it is, I just smile in the most polite and friendly manner possible and let them think what they will.
If they stick around long enough to perceive their error, at least they will know that was a nice old guy smoking the pipe. No matter how annoying they may be, I figure an angry response isn't going to give a favorable view of the pipe smoking community.
Anyway, I thought Gladys Kravitz was kind of funny.

kravitzgladys.jpg

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
Unfortunately, this is one of the stereotypes of pipe smokers. I get a lot of strange looks when I smoke mine in public. I'm a young(ish) 30 with a shaved head...apparently I'm supposed to be smoking pot in my pipe. There's even a "pipe store" here in Knoxville who sells only glass pipes and bongs. I went in there once (not knowing what type of pipe store it was) and inquired about actual tobacco pipes and the hippie looking guy working there laughed me out the door.
The local "smoke" shop in my town which sells glass pipes, and hookah's etc. tell you that the glass pipes are for tobacco use only, but yet they don't have a single ounce of tobacco in the store. Now isn't that interesting.
Seems the cops have lots of time on their hands with nothing better to do than follow-up on a low priority call.
Trust me... as much as you don't want them there, they don't want to be there even more.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
"To be fair it was Grousemoor" :lol: Sorry to hear you had to go through that. Luckily I haven't had that one happen yet. I did have my mother-in-law do a double take the first time I had a bowl of Frog Morton on the Bayou around her. Guess it was the Perique that had her wondering. Maybe this calls for some brainstorming for funny responses incase it happens again.

waznyf

Apr 24, 2012
Texas
Similar thing happened to me, I was walking down the street with my pipe and a cop slowed down to see what it was. I just held it up and kept walking.
When you mentioned big brother, I thought of the news last night and it mentioned that 12 times a day everyone is recorded from their cameras or text. They also stated that there are cameras being made that will be able to zoom in and read text messages along with sniffing out drugs! I have no idea how a camera could ever accomplish something like that.

tslex

Lifer
Jun 23, 2011
Had a guy at a park stop in front of me, and, very officious, demand to know "what is in that pipe." (Understand, he's maybe forty, shorts, ball cap, kids playing on the playground. I'm 50+, lots of grey, proper hat, kid playing on the same playground.)
I paused a beat, and then -- in my best Spicoli at Ridgemont High voice -- I said "Latakia, Dude."
He walks away pulls out a cell phone.
My son was ready to go about 15 minutes later so we left, so if the meddlesome asshat managed to waste a LEO's time I didn't see it.

locopony

Jun 7, 2011
Well I tink y'all get too up tight about the accusation of smoking pot in your pipes. I walk around every where with mine some times lit even. The mush brain youths that wink and give the ole thumbs up make me laugh. I never had a cop look at me funny or even ask. I have had people whisper abit while I'm in the grocery store and puffed out a column of smoke. (because I forgot it was lit) Usually if I walk into a public building with it lit I don't puff on it but will let it go out so as not to bother the busy bodies.

frennchy11

Dec 28, 2011
Living in a college town I get fellow students either asking me what I'm smoking or ask if they can smoke weed out of it. I am starting to get pretty used to it. Many people actually think that smoking a pipe is really cool and get a pretty big kick out of me letting them take a couple puffs.

arinbjorn

Might Stick Around
Sep 14, 2011
This is precisely why I keep at least one TIN with me when I am in the car, etc, and smoking a pipe.
I can prove that it's tobacco in there!
Though it saddens me that I have to take that kind of precaution. People see a 24 year old guy with a pipe and assume...

Status
Not open for further replies.