PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Back in 2010, when I got into tobacco pipes, Brian Ruthenberg was the hot shoe artisan. I eagerly scanned every email update he sent, but a $400 pipe was unimaginable to me. I particularly loved his half saddle stems.

This one was on Ebay recently, and despite my vow to decrease my collection, I couldn't resist. The stem had some oxidation and there were a few small dents on the bowl, both easy fixes. The bowl was nicely cleaned, and the shank looks new. It couldn't have been smoked much. It only took me 14 years to get a Ruthenberg!
Brian had some health issues in the late 20-teens and his website is defunct. I met Brian at one of the NYC shows and enjoyed chatting with him and checking out the pipes on is table. By then, I was into British standard shapes, so I never made a purchase.

Using the way back machine, in 2006, I found the Volcano and was able to grab his description and the pipe picture from his email updates.

2006 Ruthenberg Info.jpgRuthenberg_Volcano Info.png

Here's the pipe, I'll take it on the maiden voyage tomorrow AM. The tenon and button are really well done. And I love that birdseye on the bottom.

Brian_Ruthenberg_2006 (1).jpgBrian_Ruthenberg_2006 (2).jpgBrian_Ruthenberg_2006 (3).jpgBrian_Ruthenberg_2006 (4).jpgBrian_Ruthenberg_2006 (5).jpgBrian_Ruthenberg_2006 (6).jpgBrian_Ruthenberg_2006 (7).jpgBrian_Ruthenberg_2006 (8).jpgBrian_Ruthenberg_2006 (9).jpg

Last edited:

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains
Congratulations! I too coveted Mike's pipes and would gaze longingly at his offerings. As I recall, they didn't last long after he posted them. I also couldn't afford them at the time. This one looks very well maintained.

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
That’s a worthy pipe to wait 14 years for. The half saddle does well to counteract the visual weight of the stumel. Looking forward to hear how it smokes but I’m sure it’s not a stretch to think that it’ll be ending.

There many of us waiting on the wings should you go through with decreasing your collection 😁

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I'm out on the patio this AM, enjoying it with some MM965 and a cup of coffee. Smokes quite well, and as noted, pretty well balanced. I typically prefer a taper up to the button, but this full width button is working and comfortable. I didn't take a picture of the button slot, but it is beautiful, and the draw open but not too far.

My wife saw the pipe and said
- I thought you were thinning out the herd (right!)
- that shape doesn't look your style
She knows me well!

I told her that I'm going artisan now, and perhaps a saucer shape or Eskimo is next. NOT!

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
…perhaps a saucer shape or Eskimo is next. NOT!

I know what you mean. In a moment of madness I bought an Eskimo made by one of my absolute favorite carvers. The grain is spectacular but the goddam thing feels like I’m smoking a particularly ungainly frisbee and I’ve only used it twice. It’s hidden away somewhere otherwise the pipe would trigger me (as my kids say) every time I saw it.

Reactions: AroEnglish

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I know what you mean. In a moment of madness I bought an Eskimo made by one of my absolute favorite carvers. The grain is spectacular but the goddam thing feels like I’m smoking a particularly ungainly frisbee and I’ve only used it twice. It’s hidden away somewhere otherwise the pipe would trigger me (as my kids say) every time I saw it.
I used to watch Neil Roan smoking these shapes and thought hmm, not for me But, to highlight grain, that's the way to go!

I guess that I'll forever be a classic British shape fan.

Reactions: jguss
Jun 23, 2019
The shape is fantastic! And the grain/stain is gorgeous too! I especially like how the birdseye is presented on the bottom.

Reactions: yanoJL

NomadOrb

(Nomadorb)
Feb 20, 2020
SoCal
Beautiful pipe. I feel the same about Ruthenberg pipes. I'm in love with his sandblasts and eventually hope to pick one up.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I'm out on the patio this AM, enjoying it with some MM965 and a cup of coffee. Smokes quite well, and as noted, pretty well balanced. I typically prefer a taper up to the button, but this full width button is working and comfortable. I didn't take a picture of the button slot, but it is beautiful, and the draw open but not too far.

My wife saw the pipe and said
- I thought you were thinning out the herd (right!)
- that shape doesn't look your style
She knows me well!

I told her that I'm going artisan now, and perhaps a saucer shape or Eskimo is next. NOT!
Oh no, so she can spot a new pipe when she sees one?? You may be in trouble!

You see all of my pipes, I've just always had, forever....atleast that's how I play it out

Reactions: lifesizehobbit