Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Aug 11, 2022
Cedar Rapids, IA
That kind of thing (repairs and crafting stuff) is not in my repertoire . . . but I do have some handy friends if some of the other ideas don't work. Thanks.
You can buy a countersink bit for less than $15 and just spin it in your fingertips to create that chamfer in the end of the tenon. It works slowly, and you'll get the hang of it in no time. 👍

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Is your pipe broken in?
I've had a couple of bent pipes that gurgled up until the chamber was nicely caked up.

You could be what is known as a 'wet smoker'. Don't worry about it if you are, it's a common affliction. Best remedy is a 'birds nest' in the chamber. Dri-Kule pipe filters, to give them their proper moniker. After pipe cleaners they're the UK's most popular pipe accessory, have been for over 100 years.

K.E. Powell

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
Gurgle is the result of excess moisture. To eliminate gurgle, you will need to address excess moisture in your smoking. A few tips:

1. Dry your tobacco. It doesn't have to be desert dry; that will stunt some of the flavor anyway. But do dry it.

2. Pack your pipe so that moisture is less likely to accumulate in the bottom of the chamber. This takes practice and a little of trial and error. I'm partial to gravity filling and using my thumb to gauge the pack.

3. Use a pipe cleaner every now and then during your smoke to wick excess moisture from the stem. This will reduce gurgle and help keep your smoke flavorful.

4. If possible, when inspecting a pipe for purchase, avoid those whose draft hole is too high above the floor of the chamber. It's easy for moisture to accumulate just below the draft hole and ruin your smoke.

gord

Might Stick Around
Is your pipe broken in?
I've had a couple of bent pipes that gurgled up until the chamber was nicely caked up.

You could be what is known as a 'wet smoker'. Don't worry about it if you are, it's a common affliction. Best remedy is a 'birds nest' in the chamber. Dri-Kule pipe filters, to give them their proper moniker. After pipe cleaners they're the UK's mosht popular pipe accessory, have been for over 100 years.
I'd say it still needs a bit more of a break in . . . . i'm a slow smoker, a sipper, definitely not a wet smoker. Good to know that you had these results. I'll keep on using it until it cakes up more. Never heard of Dri-Kule. Will research it. Thanks!

Reactions: simong

gord

Might Stick Around
Gurgle is the result of excess moisture. To eliminate gurgle, you will need to address excess moisture in your smoking. A few tips:

1. Dry your tobacco. It doesn't have to be desert dry; that will stunt some of the flavor anyway. But do dry it.

2. Pack your pipe so that moisture is less likely to accumulate in the bottom of the chamber. This takes practice and a little of trial and error. I'm partial to gravity filling and using my thumb to gauge the pack.

3. Use a pipe cleaner every now and then during your smoke to wick excess moisture from the stem. This will reduce gurgle and help keep your smoke flavorful.

4. If possible, when inspecting a pipe for purchase, avoid those whose draft hole is too high above the floor of the chamber. It's easy for moisture to accumulate just below the draft hole and ruin your smoke.
All good points I will exercise . . . a bit tough to use a pipe cleaner in the P-lip. Have one brand that might fit while smoke is in progress. Thanks!

ophiuchus

Lifer
Mar 25, 2016
Run a cleaner through to clear loose tobacco from near the draft hole before you light … or pack so there’s a little open space at the heel of the chamber around the draft hole. That should cut down the gurgle a bit.

Sigmund

Lifer
Sep 17, 2023
France
If you are smoking small cut tobacco a few meer chips in the bottom of the bowl helps keep junk clear of the draft hole. They also absorb moisture. I use them most the time. Especially on one il Duca I have. Its draft hole is in the center of the bowl. It always gets junk in it unless I use a layer of chips.

Reactions: gord

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
I'd say it still needs a bit more of a break in . . . . i'm a slow smoker, a sipper, definitely not a wet smoker. Good to know that you had these results. I'll keep on using it until it cakes up more. Never heard of Dri-Kule. Will research it. Thanks!
IMG_2977.jpeg

Reactions: OzPiper