PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Old Toby81

Lurker
Jan 6, 2023
I’m having trouble with pipe gurgle. I’ve aired out my tobacco for about 15 min before smoking but I’m still getting a lot of moisture build up. Should I leave it out longer to air out before smoking? I’m smoking aromatics in a Rossi 8606. Thanks.

Lees65GTO

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 29, 2022
Texas
It may still be too moist after 15 minutes. You may have to let it dry a little bit more. One method I use to determine if it has to moisture is pinch some between my fingers, if most of I stays together it is to moist for me. Everyone is different so you may have to try a few times, letting it dry a little longer each time.

Good luck.

Piping Abe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 27, 2021
Georgia, USA
Usually people forget to take into account the humidity where they live. Close to 100% humidity where I live, every pipe gurgles, including high end artisans. The only pipes that don’t are 6mm filter pipes. Smoked without a filter. It doesnt bother me though. Quick swab with a pipe cleaner and your good to go. Drying tobacco probably only came around the same time aging tobacco did. Keep some cleaners nearby

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
I’m having trouble with pipe gurgle. I’ve aired out my tobacco for about 15 min before smoking but I’m still getting a lot of moisture build up. Should I leave it out longer to air out before smoking? I’m smoking aromatics in a Rossi 8606. Thanks.
Much much longer dry time. For my drier blends I leave out for a couple hours. My Carter hall, takes weeks to months to dry out a whole tub so it's ready to smoke.

As for the gurgling, either run a pipe cleaner through the stem during the smoke. If you don't have one accessible I disassemble the pipe midsmoke, and blow the moisture out.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
Check the humidity where you live. If you live in a humid climate, it will take more time. When smoking heavy aromatics, you usually require extra time. I just run a pipe cleaner down the down the stem to clear the gurgle. Some pipes persist in this habit in which case I usually get rid of it.

K.E. Powell

Aug 20, 2022
West Virginia
You will get it in time. It just takes a little practice. My advice, and this is something I would do regardless of gargle, is to keep handy a pipe cleaner and just run it through every now and then. You'd be amazed how much that helps. Especially with the really sugary aros, they can be a hassle, especially in a pipe with a bent stem and/or a draft hole above the true bottom of the bowl.

OverMountain

Lifer
Dec 5, 2021
Western Caccalack Hinterlands
I had a pipe I was SURE was a defective gurgle machine when I first started. Drying for about 30 min, and slowing down the pace (sipping the least bit) stopped the tongue burn and stopped the gurgle.

While you are figuring it out, you can always run a pipe cleaner every few minutes. You will get past this hurdle, stay encouraged.

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
15 minutes of drying time may not be sufficient. When opening a new tin I'll leave it open (lid off) for at least several days (sometimes more if it's especially moist or it's a larger tine) before smoking it. If it stays in a clump following the pinch test it's probably still too moist.

That said liberal use of a pipe cleaner to sop up the juices is fine, for straight pipes I'll just "flick" the pipe and let the juices spew out of the mouthpiece -- saves a cleaner. Sometimes pipes themselves are hopeless gurglers, I have a Morgan Bones Poker that is remarkably resistant to any anti-gurgle measures. I think it gurgles on the pipe stand when I'm not around.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
I live in Florida if the tobacco is moist 15 minutes isn’t even close to long enough to drive enough to smoke, I love winter here because the humidity drops and I can leave tobacco out for 20-25 minutes it turns dry and I can smoke it nice and easy all the way to the bottom of the bowl, Most days it’s a heck of a lot longer than 15 minutes. There’s also you could leave more tobacco out and dry quite a bit get it to where you want it then jar it back up and you’ll know it’ll be good to go also added to this with everyone else is already said packet looser smoke slower keep a pipe cleaner with you while you smoke and just stick it in the stem every now and then and suck up the extra moisture.

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
Everyone has provided some good tips. Regarding use of a pipe cleaner- I won’t buy a pipe unless it will pass a cleaner from stem to bowl. (The exception is for certain Peterson style system pipes.)
Sometimes you may need to bend & fiddle with the cleaner or try different cleaners to accomplish this. With a little practice you’ll get the hang of it.

Mac

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
Aromatics are a lot moister generally than other genres.
The aim is to get the tobacco dry, but not crispy.
If you take a pinch and let it fall, it should not clump/stick together
Dry time varies immensely depending to the blend, as well as prevailing weather conditions.
In Sydney, Oz, 5-10 mins in direct sun on a warm day is sufficient for most blends.
On a wet, cloudy, humid day 1 hour is insufficient.

Dry the tobacco more, pack looser and smoke slower. Use a pipe cleaner to absorb moisture and clear the airway while smoking.
^^^^ Great advice

Use the gravity method to fill your pipe.
Tamp lightly to avoid compacting the tobacco
Sometimes you will still have gurgling, regardless of what you do. Pipe cleaners are cheap, so use them.
Keep experimenting. You'll get there
puffy