PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 7, 2016
I think the world has changed a little since 1972, even 2002. Restrictions worldwide are growing and tariffs are increasing while the population of smokers is shrinking. At some point, even China will start totalling the cost and begin the process of discouraging tobacco use, not for humanitarian concerns, but because of monetary cost.
Maybe. But pendulums swing both ways, though maybe not in my remains years.

Reactions: Casual

Bengel

Lifer
Sep 20, 2019
Maybe someone more political can explain this for me. These are the latest updates:
View attachment 20963

Does this mean it has been veto?
I think it is smoke and mirrors to keep all but the initiated confused :mad:
The Politico link above explains the status. It is a slippery slope and I am doubtful we will not continue downward at varying pace.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
Does this mean it has been veto?

It still has to go through the Senate before being sent to the President. It won't make it that far in its current form, but possibly some compromise version.

We have elections coming up. Would somebody care to post those representatives per state who voted "yes" on this bill?

It was nearly a straight party-line vote...D's yes, R's no...with very few exceptions (don't know who they were).

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Reactions: BROBS

trouttimes

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
Lake Martin, AL
Another political football that really has very little to do with anything but pushing an agenda. These folks don't care about you or me or "the children". This is a small part of the new PC stand in this country. We are collateral damage. Maybe not this month, this year or the next but eventually.

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
When are pipe tobacco manufacturers going to get their heads out of the sand (to say it politely) and pool together to get a real lobby? It seems they've been relying on cigar makers to foot the bill for too long and are now being thrown under the bus as expected.

brian64

Lifer
Jan 31, 2011
When are pipe tobacco manufacturers going to get their heads out of the sand (to say it politely) and pool together to get a real lobby? It seems they've been relying on cigar makers to foot the bill for too long and are now being thrown under the bus as expected.

That's because pipes are the Ents of the tobacco world...and by the time their Entmoot is concluded it will all be over anyway.

gervais

Lifer
Sep 4, 2019
Ontario
I doubt that it will get passed by the Senate. If it does however, the President will most likely not veto it. He has a habit of just singing into law pretty much anything that the Senate puts in front of him.
If this law does ever pass, it will be interesting to see what they classify as "flavoured" tobacco. Almost all pipe tobacco has some form of "flavour" casing/topping

scottfree

Lurker
Feb 14, 2019
If this law does ever pass, it will be interesting to see what they classify as "flavoured" tobacco. Almost all pipe tobacco has some form of "flavour" casing/toppi
If this law does ever pass, it will be interesting to see what they classify as "flavoured" tobacco. Almost all pipe tobacco has some form of "flavour" casing/topping
Unfortunately, I think that they will mean all pipe tobacco.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013

That’s unrealistic. The U.S. cigar industry is almost a hundred times the size of the U.S. pipe tobacco industry. There’s a reason the pipe tobacco business piggybacks on the cigar business: it doesn’t generate enough income to do any effective lobbying on its own.

Reactions: BROBS
Status
Not open for further replies.