Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
Tried to have an afternoon smoke on the swing this afternoon, but it was just too sad and lonely. My usual companion, my old Doberman, Sarge, had to be put down this morning. He just turned 13.
I know several folks on here have mentioned him, because he’d often be in my pictures in the “WAYS” threads.
Three days ago he was bouncing around the house like normal, then all of a sudden his health took a nose-dive. He started out just whining to go out more than usual, but nothing alarming. Late last night he started having severe abdominal pain, and couldn’t lay down. I took him to the emergency vet. He said his prostate and bladder were huge, put in a catheter to empty it, and watched him overnight. We took him in to the regular vet this morning for an ultrasound, and he had a huge tumor in his bladder and prostate, and was beginning to show neurological symptoms in his back legs, like the tumor was beginning to get into his spinal cord. Vet said there really wasn’t anything that could be done, and it was going to get worse from here. He asked what we wanted to do. I told him we didn’t want him to suffer anymore.
We all went in and said our goodbyes, and my wife and I held him while they put him to sleep.
I buried him next to the swing in our backyard where he’d often sit next to me while I would smoke my pipe.
We are all heartbroken, especially my six year old daughter. They were best buds, partners in crime. Almost every picture I have of him has her sitting or laying right next to him. Just a perfect dog. He will be missed greatly.
3EAF04B7-BF91-4371-AD0A-1BB03AF0D98A.jpeg
78942D8E-6403-4FAE-9427-B32861B4E51E.jpeg

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Yeah, even when you know it’s coming soon, it still hits you like a ton of bricks. Especially when they’ve been so much of your daily life and routine.
We have a 15 year old who is having the same thing going on. He’s not in pain but it’s only a matter of time, and the bigger the dog the less time we have with them. ?
I feel for you bro. Nothing can take that place.. you can just hope in the future you can save another life and give another dog an amazing life.

It’s hard now but think of all the great times you had with him and how happy he was in his life. He wouldn’t have wanted it any other way.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
all things must pass and all good boys have their time. Sorry to hear that. I always say try to think about how lucky the guy was to have 13 years of what looks like a pretty solidly good time. In the wild these types of animals and their relatives don't get an easy 13 years, so you gave the buddy a couple of lifetimes. That's how I try to look at it. Now go have a good cry.

Status
Not open for further replies.