PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

kanaia

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 3, 2013
Already own a Holsun 507c with the shake awake feature which I really love.. Thinking of getting a Trijicon for another weapon. I'm looking for feedback from somebody that has used both and what your thoughts are Thanks in advance.

STP

Lifer
Sep 8, 2020
Northeast USA
I have the Trijicon HD Night Sights on a few of my Glocks. They’ve been durable, reliable, and provide quick target acquisition. They generally have a lifespan of 15 yrs, but I have a couple going on 20 yrs and the tritium still illuminates.

TheIdahoan

Lurker
Jan 7, 2023
Southeast Idaho
Already own a Holsun 507c with the shake awake feature which I really love.. Thinking of getting a Trijicon for another weapon. I'm looking for feedback from somebody that has used both and what your thoughts are Thanks in advance.
What specifically are you looking for thoughts on?

EDIT: I've used the 507, RMR and RMRcc (both with 3.25 MOA dot)

TheIdahoan

Lurker
Jan 7, 2023
Southeast Idaho
I have the Trijicon HD Night Sights on a few of my Glocks. They’ve been durable, reliable, and provide quick target acquisition. They generally have a lifespan of 15 yrs, but I have a couple going on 20 yrs and the tritium still illuminates.

Go with the tritium.

I may be mistaken, but the fella is not talking about Tritium, but red dot sights, also known as "emitter sights" where a tiny red dot is projected on a glass lens. It gives an appearance of using a laser without projecting an actual dot on the surface of a target.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
This might say more about me then anything else. I feel like anything fancier then the old school iron sites never have worked as well. Might be a what I am used to thing. Then again I also feel perplexed why a bow would need any kind of aiming assistance devices. Like really you can't visualize where the arrow is going to go. So that's my opinion.

Reactions: instymp

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
You are mistaken.

I think you are mistaken. The Holosun 507c (shown below) is a red dot sight that’s quite unlike the tritium night sights you’re referencing.

The OP is asking about switching it up to a Trijicon who, although they also make the tritium night sights, make similar options to the 507c. I’m fairly certain the OP is asking about this type of sight, not the night sights you’re talking about.

Holosun 507c

C85CE845-65AD-44BB-BA35-1F4EE15A6C50.jpeg

Trijicon RMR

607B1ED9-0742-4405-AEAD-BE0D6A5AF4AE.jpeg

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I theoretically have some red dots on a potential few of my imaginary “firearms”

I like my Holosun HS407C and it’s a good option.

The two Trijicons I owned were the Dual Illuminated ones. Eh, they were okay.

My carry is a Wilson Combat EDC X9 without an optic. The rear sight is blacked out and the front is a big dot orange.

My home defense firearm is a CZ Scorpion Suppressed with Holosun Enclosed Reflex.

No amount of money dumped into an optic beats training with or without optic.
One thing I think is important. I’ve been shooting since I was 8 years old. I’m 60. I’ve shot iron sights for so long it’s just an automatic motion to present to weapon on target.

If red dots had been around when I started carrying I’d definitely have a red dot on my carry firearm.

TheIdahoan

Lurker
Jan 7, 2023
Southeast Idaho
Trijicon vs Holosun:

IMO if you're a hobbist and not dedicated to the craft go for a Trijicon model. Yes, you'll have to rezero every time you replace the battery but they're known for working right out of the box.

Holosun can be more of a tinkerer's gun. They're known for either working right out of the box, or failing right out of the box. You have to put in time and rounds through your gun to find out which you have.

The good news is that they're incredible with customer service and have more user-friendly features such as a battery compartment that does not require removal of the optic and a multi-reticle feature. It also has a benefit of playing with my particular astigmatism better than the RMR. They're also about $200 cheaper.

I'm happy to give more input, but I need more info to go off of before I do.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I know what I said. Having installed
Trijicon Bright & Tough™ Night Sights - Glock Standard Frames
tritium to nearly 300 Glock pistols as an Armorer I said, “Go with the tritium.”

Iron sights are always the choice for a pistol in daylight - in darkness the tritium dots provide a secondary aiming method, albeit not as precise as acquiring a proper site picture.

I say this because installed and properly adjusted they are impervious to being knocked about.

Professionals do not rely on batteries and uncertainty —If you’re a recreational shooter, by all means. Enjoy yourself.

I stand by my original answer.

“Go with the tritium.”

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier

Briar Lee

Lifer
Sep 4, 2021
Humansville Missouri
I know what I said. Having installed
Trijicon Bright & Tough™ Night Sights - Glock Standard Frames
tritium to nearly 300 Glock pistols as an Armorer I said, “Go with the tritium.”

Iron sights are always the choice for a pistol in daylight - in darkness the tritium dots provide a secondary aiming method, albeit not as precise as acquiring a proper site picture.

I say this because installed and properly adjusted they are impervious to being knocked about.

Professionals do not rely on batteries and uncertainty —If you’re a recreational shooter, by all means. Enjoy yourself.

I stand by my original answer.

“Go with the tritium.”
I patronize a gun shop where I’m the only one there that can appreciate the difference between a Philadelphia made A.H. Fox and a Fox Model B.

Some idea of the extent this shop sells modern sporting firearms is the owner is currently under indictment for his alleged activities on January 6.:)

It is a pleasant surprise to me how many classic “Fudd” guns they take in trade on modern sporting firearms. For example I bought a perfect Browning BSS with 28” barrels for $900, and a nearly unfired Winchester Super X Trap 30” Trap Full for $400, etc. Yet if it says Model 12 or Auto Five Light Twelve they ask a fortune for doggy examples worse than I already own.

Another surprise to me is modern, high quality holographic red dot sights have little resale value. I’ve bought a Holosun and I forget what other brands for next to nothing since they’re used.

I give these to my son who mounts them on his modern pistols.

Geezus, those things work: Put the dot on it and it’s dead, every time.

Battery life is measured in years. They shut off after several hours.

I own a 1911, but my carry gun is a Ruger Flattop Blackhawk 44 Special with Keith loads for deer and Skeeter loads for eveything else. In daylight sometimes I wonder if Elmer Keith himself was any better shot.

But if the other side was shooting back I’d want a modern halo red dot, especially after dark, but any time.

There’s no sight picture.

Place dot on target and fire.

Last edited:
Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
You can run both.

But he’s not asking about iron sights.

It’s like if someone came on here asking about the new Ford vs. the new Chevy and you kept commenting “bikes don’t run out of gas.”

Cool. But he’s not asking about bikes. Put a bike in the bed of the new Ford or the new Chevy and move out.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I'm 62. Have a HKP30L V1 that I got a blacked out rear with a red dot on the front. Grey guns light trigger. Looks bad assed but My eyes cannot pick up the dot inside a black field quickly or accurately. I am so much more accurate with my basic CZ 75 3 dots. I have not played with a Trijicon.

My eyes limit what I can use.

Reactions: Reggie