PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Singularis

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 11, 2019
Wausau, Wis
What is your average BPD (bowls per day)? The stash in your picture looks to be about 45-50 1.75/2 oz tins worth of baccy. If you are a bowl a day smoker, that will get you 3 years of smoking, based on my calculations.

Not that I want to give you ANY reason NOT to buy more tobacco to prepare for your own state sanctioned tobaccolypse. Buy away if you've got the money and time. But if for some reason you don't get all that you want and are able to buy some in the lower 48 (or do you call in the upper 48 in Hawai'i?) in the next two years, I'd think you'll make it.

That said, you may want to consider stocking up on GL Pease and Drucquer & Sons, which seem to be rather under-represented among your stash (IMHO).

Reactions: Piping Abe

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Relatively new pipe smoker. Been enjoying different blends and the art of smoking for the past year. All was well and good until Hawaii passed a law banning online tobacco sales. The island I live on doesn't have any real tobacco stores and I don't visit the mainland often. It's set off a panic buy reaction for me, and I now only have 4 days left. Trying to stock up with enough tobacco for the next 2 years at least with some variety as I don't know when I'll be able to purchase easily again. Right now I'm looking to buy anything and everything for future/just in case. Would gladly appreciate recommendations of favorite types. To make it easy for suggestions, my favorites include Quiet Nights, NightCap, Old Dark Fired, Plum Pudding, Irish Flake, Haunted Bookshop, MM965, Early Morning Pipe, escudo Navy deluxe, royal yacht, and with a handful of aromatics thrown in for variety (have been mixing them with 5 bros for more substance). Thanks everyone for you input!View attachment 230106

The State of Hawaii isn't legally able to open parcels without a court order. My guess is that they will be using the mandatory state sales tax remittance data to enforce this ban. I'd be happy to remail the occasional package to you. I'm always willing to be a blockade runner in the name of freedom and good smoke for a fellow pipe smoker.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
If the 4th Amendment hasn’t been amended, no state can, is my understanding.

4th Amendment of the Constitution for protection of search and seizure.

4. Can Postal Inspectors open mail if they feel it may contain something illegal?

Send it First Class!

In reality, the government does whatever it possibly can to push the envelope on infringing the Constitution. It is constantly probing the periphery for soft spots and loopholes. Illegal searches and seizures happen hundreds of times every day, perhaps every hour. Most go unchallenged because the victim either lacks the knowledge that they have been wrongly infringed, or they lack the financial resources to contest the infringement. This is where someone like The Civil Rights Lawyer on YouTube is so important.
And he’s a cigar smoker.

Last edited:

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Yepper Kaui Cigar, supposedly since 1993 as pointed out by Zamora.

Sure would be nice if we could get them to make pipe tobacco. :)

Reactions: woodsroad

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
@woodsroad I don’t know why they wrote it up with the wording, like they did.

But it does say ‘Parcel’ too, which should mean all.

All mail is supposedly protected under the 4th Amendment.

Akoni808

Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
The State of Hawaii isn't legally able to open parcels without a court order. My guess is that they will be using the mandatory state sales tax remittance data to enforce this ban. I'd be happy to remail the occasional package to you. I'm always willing to be a blockade runner in the name of freedom and good smoke for a fellow pipe smoker.
They can but they need a search warrant.

Reactions: PipeIT

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I consider a right.
Unfortunately what one considers to be true doesn't make it so.
In reality, the government does whatever it possibly can to push the envelope on infringing the Constitution. It is constantly probing the periphery for soft spots and loopholes. Illegal searches and seizures happen hundreds of times every day, perhaps every hour. Most go unchallenged because the victim either lacks the knowledge that they have been wrongly infringed, or they lack the financial resources to contest the infringement.
Another unfortunate truth that's enabled both ends of the political spectrum albeit for different purposes.

The answer lies in electing representatives who can work together to improve things for everyone (or at least most of us). Even that might not improve the lot of tobacco users as we comprise a small (and decreasing) percentage of the population.

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
No customs, no shipping issues. Ppl ship much more “illegal” things than tobacco. While shops might not ship I’m sure plent of ppl would, not sure what all the hand wringing is over. What’s done is done, a majority of ppl living there voted for this so all you can do is deal with it.

Reactions: PipeIT

vosBghos

Lifer
May 7, 2022
Idaho
You on Maui too? I live in Lahaina
So I and a friend have been thinking about opening a B&M in Lahaina. I'm wondering if since the Islands are considered one state if we could circumvent the laws by sending parcels to the different Islands and also further circumvent them by having an online menu but only taking orders over the phone. Does this sound like a feasible way to actually pull it off?

Reactions: MaukaMan

AJL67

Lifer
May 26, 2022
Florida - Space Coast
So I and a friend have been thinking about opening a B&M in Lahaina. I'm wondering if since the Islands are considered one state if we could circumvent the laws by sending parcels to the different Islands and also further circumvent them by having an online menu but only taking orders over the phone. Does this sound like a feasible way to actually pull it off?
Sure why not, tell him to def go for it!

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii

Lahaina has an extreme amount of tourism going through it, especially given Front Street in Lahaina, as a big tourist attraction area.

So for Tourism Lahaina is great, not so great for Locals.

Having a business in Lahaina essentially cuts off the rest of the island locals, if you don’t know it’s location on the map have a look.

Locals don’t drive to Lahaina to shop, if they do, it’s a very rare small percentage.

Someone that wants to also target tourism, has to remember tourists are going all over the island.

Kahului is the center hub of the island for commerce.

Lahaina is also extremely expensive, compared to many other places on the island.

A B&M in Lahaina isn’t practical, especially if you want to target the local market.

All the big shopping areas in Kahului would be more ideal, where locals and tourists shop.

Reactions: vosBghos

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
Think about that for a second, when related to the context of what the 4th Amendment says.

1st Class only makes no sense, it’s always been my understanding, that any mail sent through USPS is protected by law.

Read this too, it’s talking in regards to Agriculture, but it’s also my understanding, that it doesn’t matter the contents either, that would then make for any special inclusion or exclusion.

This article simply shows a warrant needed.

PipeIT

Lifer
Nov 14, 2020
Hawaii
By the way, the write up on USPS says 1st Class Mail and Parcels.

The Parcels to me reads as any other type of Parcel, outside of 1st Class, otherwise, it could of only said 1st Class Mail is all, no need to mention the word Parcel, because Mail means any type.

I would assume if this is true, it would of been instead written this way.

4. Can Postal Inspectors open mail if they feel it may contain something illegal?

First-Class letters
and First-Class parcels are protected against search and seizure under the Fourth Amendment to the Constitution, and, as such, cannot be opened without a search warrant.

Last edited:

Akoni808

Mar 17, 2022
O’ahu, Hawai’i
Probably not, make it on Oahu instead.

Reactions: vosBghos