PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

python

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 8, 2009
Maryland
pipesmagazine.com
It's been a great ride since Python suggested I try a Pipe on the old Cigarreview site many years ago.
I had a Heart attack August 31 @ 1:45 am. By the time I haggled an appointment with my Doctor it was around 11:30 am.
They did the blood work, chest x-rays and sent me home to await results, about 5:30 they called and said to get to a Hospital now.
I jumped in my truck an headed to the next town over to the hospital, since they bought and closed the one 2 blocks from my home.
Now the Doctor having reviewed all the results calls me and asks "Hey Tom where are you ?" I said: I'm halfway to the hospital.
He freaked out and said "pull over and wait for ambulance". I told him to just call ahead , I'll be there in 15 min.
So, as soon as I walked into the ER, and said who I was and that the doctor said I was having a heart attack, the quickly got me into the ER, stripped me, shaved me and inserted all manor of wires and IV's, then off to the Heart Cath, and a Long stint in the main anterior decending artery that had closed. It was all over about an hour after I walked in the door.
I feel very lucky to be alive, now the bad news, No Tobacco, No Grizzly, No Pipes, No Cigars, No Cigs.
Thomas Allen II

Damn, sorry to hear about this (the health, not the quitting), But at least you caught it in time.

Take care brother.

Reactions: buzkirk

pyratemate

Lurker
Feb 6, 2013
It's been a great ride since Python suggested I try a Pipe on the old Cigarreview site many years ago.
I had a Heart attack August 31 @ 1:45 am. By the time I haggled an appointment with my Doctor it was around 11:30 am.
They did the blood work, chest x-rays and sent me home to await results, about 5:30 they called and said to get to a Hospital now.
I jumped in my truck an headed to the next town over to the hospital, since they bought and closed the one 2 blocks from my home.
Now the Doctor having reviewed all the results calls me and asks "Hey Tom where are you ?" I said: I'm halfway to the hospital.
He freaked out and said "pull over and wait for ambulance". I told him to just call ahead , I'll be there in 15 min.
So, as soon as I walked into the ER, and said who I was and that the doctor said I was having a heart attack, the quickly got me into the ER, stripped me, shaved me and inserted all manor of wires and IV's, then off to the Heart Cath, and a Long stint in the main anterior decending artery that had closed. It was all over about an hour after I walked in the door.
I feel very lucky to be alive, now the bad news, No Tobacco, No Grizzly, No Pipes, No Cigars, No Cigs.
Thomas Allen II
Hey Thomas, glad you are on the mend and still amongst us. Get well soon!

Reactions: B.Lew and buzkirk
May 2, 2020
Louisiana
My best piece of advice is it's never too late to start long distance running. Every year dozens of people in their 70's and 80's finish the Iron Man Triathlon. Barring severe disability there's no reason you can't do it too.
It’s bizarrely fun once you get to that point where you could basically run all day without getting winded. I used to love it, but now my knee bitches me out if I do more than half a mile. ?
Definitely something fun (although maybe not at first) and healthy to get into.

Mar 1, 2014
It’s bizarrely fun once you get to that point where you could basically run all day without getting winded. I used to love it, but now my knee bitches me out if I do more than half a mile. ?
Definitely something fun (although maybe not at first) and healthy to get into.
That's where it specifically helps to do Triathlon.
Swimming and Cycling are very low impact activities, combining the three events you can build massive Cardio endurance without burning out on any one activity.

Rustamgtx

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 19, 2021
Baku, Azerbaijan
Thomas Allen II

God damn, it is actually what I'm looking for.

Absolutelly agree with @irishearl, it's not necessary to quit.

First of all, I'm want to wish you a good health.
Second, I'm not a doctor and all that i say here it is only my opinion and observations.
I had a cerebellum stroke in 2017 and 3.4mm of my brain is dead
I had 3 heart stent in 2020 because of terrible arrhythmia
I have diabetes type 2 fore more than 10 years
I'm smoker from 14th, it is almost 25 years and I never want to quit. I'm always enjoying smoking and drinking a good whiskey. Sure now I quit drinking and smoking cigarettes... BUT

When you inhale cigarette smoke you actually filling how your blood vessels in your brain and your hard ( chest) is going narrow down what in this case can cause hard attack or stroke or whatever... it is happening because your lounges is a door to your blood system and nicotine with all shitt together permanently falls in to your blood flow.
In case of pipe and cigars the situation is vice versa, even pipe smoke have a bigger dose of nicotine, your gum has no time to absorb all amount of this bad stuff. As result your blood stay clean and fine.
According to that, you can measure your blood pressure and hard rates before and after you smoke and you can see correct situation and make a decision quit or not.
One more think, you should also know your blood viscosity and follow it up. Blood viscosity must be low in our case. Good diet will help you with this, also a strong alcohol like whiskey or vodka woks good, but in reasonable limits.
And most important thing is no way to things about some shitt going to happen while you smoke, in this case you will get panic attacks and your blood pressur and heart rate will be increased.
And bee sure that any doctor in the universe will say you only one thing SMOKE=DEATH without any compromise.
Anyway, I hope that my long letter will be helpful.
Stay safe ? ❤