PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I mostly smoke light to medium bodied english/oriental blends. I'm trying to bulk up my cellar with pounds of everything i smoke though. And i do occasionally enjoy a heavy handed lat blend. Like quiet nights or gaslight for example. But tins are simply too expensive for me to justify stocking up on many pounds of such blends. Ive been searching for cheaper bulk blends.

Is Larry's blend the heaviest lat blend in bulk for a decent bargain? Are there any others?

(ive tried larry's probably 10yrs ago and it was good, but I was too stuck up for bulk blends at the time and didn't pay it much attention. I'll have to try it again before committing)

Reactions: Scottmi

nathaniel

Jan 4, 2011
If i remember right, even ten till midnight was fairly heavy too. I may get am ounce of that to jog my memory as well.

Pipewizard420

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 28, 2020
10 to midnight is a great choice. Crumble cake sold in bulk, not too many options for this combination.

Russ's Tasteycake is very similar to 10TM as well. The couple OZ's I picked up a few years back are blacker than 10TM.

Barking Dog is a good inexpensive bulk you might enjoy, although not as heavy on the Lat, but a tasty blend nonetheless.

Reactions: nathaniel

badbriar

Oct 17, 2012
Suncoast Florida by the Beach
Like the OP, I really do like me some nice latakia. That said, IMHO if a blend is a lat bomb and is not balanced, the result may well be a not so satisfying smoke. I've matured into stout, but balanced English & Scottish blends. I'm more after taste & flavor more than raw latakia power.
Now, you really should try Father Dempsey. Not a lat bomb - just a really good English worthy of stocking up on.