PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

AreBee

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 12, 2024
Farmington, Connecticut USA
The only place I have been to so far is a "Smoker's Discount World" in Plainfield. All they have for pipe tobacco is Captain Black, Half and Half, and Borkum Riff. A couple promising leads I've found are Carolina Tobacco Emporium in Manchester, and Connecticut Valley Tobacconist in Enfield. Both kind of a long drive for me, but I'll check them out eventually. I've lived in CT all my life, but I'm a Rhode Islander by blood. We rarely drive more than 15 minutes to get anywhere, lol.
I used to got to Carolina Tobacco 10+ years ago for cigars when I worked out in Manchester. It’s under different management now and I’m not sure what the pipe situation is. I’ve never been to CT Valley but is a well known cigar shop. Hartford is a haul for you but there’s a pipe meet up on the second Thursday of every month at The Tobacco Shop. I’m attending my first one next week.

Reactions: walkingpipeguy

MRW

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 6, 2022
Fort Worth Texas
Hi,
I'm a beginning pipe smoker of about 12 years. Not that I smoked much for the last 10 or so, but I recently got back into it. I like to smoke a pipe when I go for a walk in the woods. I got into the hobby in a kind of backwards way. Growing up, I never used tobacco of any kind and never gave any thought to trying it. Then one day I read an article in a magazine called The Backwoodsman about producing your own tobacco, which the author smoked in a pipe. I was fascinated. I bought some tobacco seeds the following spring, and grew, harvested, and cured a few pounds of tobacco. I flavored some if it with whiskey, vanilla extract, and a touch of maple syrup. Then I bought a pipe, a Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman. I tried some of the tobacco and surprisingly enjoyed it even though I packed too tight and smoked too fast.

For various reasons, smoking and hiking both became inconvenient and I didn't touch the pipe for 10 years. Recently it became convenient again. I still have most of the tobacco I grew, whole leaves in a cardboard box in the closet. I assume, stale beyond any chance of reviving it. I never bought any commercially produced tobacco until a couple weeks ago. I was sort of hoping that my home brewed tobacco was actually terrible and that the store bought stuff would be worlds better, but it actually wasn't, so against all odds I guess I did a decent job with my homemade aromatic blend. Then again, all I can get from my local smoke shop is Captain Black and Half & Half, so hopefully some of the more high-end blends actually are better than my homemade stuff. I'm about to venture out in search of tobacco shops with a better selection soon, or order some online if I can't find any. Just getting it online would be easier, but hunting down some good stuff from a brick and mortar is part of the fun.
Hello and welcome to the Forum from Deep in the Heart of Texas. You will find this site to be informative and the members insightful (and at times, most entertaining). Enjoy your stay!

Trainpipeman

Can't Leave
Feb 4, 2021
Rhode Island
The only place I have been to so far is a "Smoker's Discount World" in Plainfield. All they have for pipe tobacco is Captain Black, Half and Half, and Borkum Riff. A couple promising leads I've found are Carolina Tobacco Emporium in Manchester, and Connecticut Valley Tobacconist in Enfield. Both kind of a long drive for me, but I'll check them out eventually. I've lived in CT all my life, but I'm a Rhode Islander by blood. We rarely drive more than 15 minutes to get anywhere, lol.
If your R.I. blood allows it, there is a decent selection of non-tinned blends at James' Fine Cigars in Smithfield, R.I.. No tins, but a decent selection of bulks.

Mar 10, 2024
Clinton, CT
Hi,
I'm a beginning pipe smoker of about 12 years. Not that I smoked much for the last 10 or so, but I recently got back into it. I like to smoke a pipe when I go for a walk in the woods. I got into the hobby in a kind of backwards way. Growing up, I never used tobacco of any kind and never gave any thought to trying it. Then one day I read an article in a magazine called The Backwoodsman about producing your own tobacco, which the author smoked in a pipe. I was fascinated. I bought some tobacco seeds the following spring, and grew, harvested, and cured a few pounds of tobacco. I flavored some if it with whiskey, vanilla extract, and a touch of maple syrup. Then I bought a pipe, a Missouri Meerschaum Country Gentleman. I tried some of the tobacco and surprisingly enjoyed it even though I packed too tight and smoked too fast.

For various reasons, smoking and hiking both became inconvenient and I didn't touch the pipe for 10 years. Recently it became convenient again. I still have most of the tobacco I grew, whole leaves in a cardboard box in the closet. I assume, stale beyond any chance of reviving it. I never bought any commercially produced tobacco until a couple weeks ago. I was sort of hoping that my home brewed tobacco was actually terrible and that the store bought stuff would be worlds better, but it actually wasn't, so against all odds I guess I did a decent job with my homemade aromatic blend. Then again, all I can get from my local smoke shop is Captain Black and Half & Half, so hopefully some of the more high-end blends actually are better than my homemade stuff. I'm about to venture out in search of tobacco shops with a better selection soon, or order some online if I can't find any. Just getting it online would be easier, but hunting down some good stuff from a brick and mortar is part of the fun.
I am in Clinton. I am hoping to find other Connecticut pipe smokers to smoke with. Welcome