PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Silverwing

Lurker
Apr 14, 2024
Bowling Green, KY
I've been around tobacco for most of my life. I grew up hanging out on a farm that grew and flue cured Virginia in the Low Country of Southeast Georgia and South Carolina. Before graduating high school I got a job at a local business that produced dip and hookah tobacco. That was an experience that I learned a lot from and it galvanized an already burgeoning fascination with the damned and bitter weed that is our beloved Nicotiana Tabacum.

I have explored nearly every facet of tobacciana that I could reasonably achieve some sort of familiarity with, everything from nasal snuff to loose (lös) swedish snus, premium cigarettes, cigars, you name it.

Once I figured out how to actually enjoy a cigar, the whole journey in tobacco changed. Suddenly I understood burning tobacco. Sounds stupid, but after years of cigarettes, which have no nuance at all, hookah, which doesn't even burn tobacco, chew, which is chewed, and various other forms of tobacco, it occurred to me that there was probably an entire world of technique I was eschewing out of sheer ignorance. Smoking the cigar slowly revealed a world of flavors I never expected to find.

But everything has its downside, cigars have theirs as well and frankly they weren't a good fit. I never wanted to go back to cigarettes ever, but I definitely wanted some form of tobacco in my life that I could enjoy. Enter the pipe.

Several months back I picked up a bargain bin billiard. It was very lightly bent, pretty straightforward pipe. Grain all over the place, definitely nothing special. I got some Stokkebye Bullseye Flake and Blend 21. Couple days later I picked up C&D Mad FIddler Flake, Gawithh and Hogart Ennerdale and Warped Midsommar. Mad Fiddler ended up being my favorite far and away, and the more I smoke the more I seem to lean towards a VaPer and Virginia. I do really love Haunted Bookshop, and Midsommar is definitely an incredible smoke, very repeatable but also extremely satisfying. I like a light english quite a lot but I'm not much for Lat Bombs. I really regret not being able to try the Syrian Lat, I think it would have appealed to me quite a bit based on what I read.

I'm enjoying the hobby a lot. It beats the shit out of feeling like using tobacco is just a chore. I've picked up about 6 pipes, various kinds, never paying over 100$ as a rule. I'm definitely willing to buy a more expensive pipe, I just want to wait until I really know what kinds of pipes I enjoy smoking, so right now, under 100$ only. Right now I'm working on getting more tobacco, figuring out what I really like and what i'll maybe try to revisit at a later date.

Last edited:

Bowlsmoker67

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2021
Montgomery County Ny
I've been around tobacco for most of my life. I grew up hanging out on a farm that grew and flue cured Virginia in the Low Country of Southeast Georgia and South Carolina. Before graduating high school I got a job at a local business that produced dip and hookah tobacco. That was an experience that I learned a lot from and it galvanized an already burgeoning fascination with the damned and bitter weed that is our beloved Nicotiana Tabacum.

I have explored nearly every facet of tobacciana that I could reasonably achieve some sort of familiarity with, everything from nasal snuff to loose (lös) swedish snus, premium cigarettes, cigars, you name it.

Once I figured out how to actually enjoy a cigar, the whole journey in tobacco changed. Suddenly I understood burning tobacco. Sounds stupid, but after years of cigarettes, which have no nuance at all, hookah, which doesn't even burn tobacco, chew, which is chewed, and various other forms of tobacco, it occurred to me that there was probably an entire world of technique I was eschewing out of sheer ignorance. Smoking the cigar slowly revealed a world of flavors I never expected to find.

But everything has its downside, cigars have theirs as well and frankly they weren't a good fit. I never wanted to go back to cigarettes ever, but I definitely wanted some form of tobacco in my life that I could enjoy. Enter the pipe.

Several months back I picked up a bargain bin billiard. It was very lightly bent, pretty straightforward pipe. Grain all over the place, definitely nothing special. I got some Stokkebye Bullseye Flake and Blend 21. Couple days later I picked up C&D Mad FIddler Flake, Gawithh and Hogart Ennerdale and Warped Midsommar. Mad Fiddler ended up being my favorite far and away, and the more I smoke the more I seem to lean towards a VaPer and Virginia. I do really love Haunted Bookshop, and Midsommar is definitely an incredible smoke, very repeatable but also extremely satisfying. I like a light english quite a lot but I'm not much for Lat Bombs. I really regret not being able to try the Syrian Lat, I think it would have appealed to me quite a bit based on what I read.

I'm enjoying the hobby a lot. It beats the shit out of feeling like using tobacco is just a chore. I've picked up about 6 pipes, various kinds, never paying over 100$ as a rule. I'm definitely willing to buy a more expensive pipe, I just want to wait until I really know what kinds of pipes I enjoy smoking, so right now, under 100$ only. Right now I'm working on getting more tobacco, figuring out what I really like and what i'll maybe try to revisit at a later date.
Hello , Nice intro !

Reactions: Silverwing
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
Sounds like you got a good start. Trying good tobacco and finding your preferences. Smoking < $100 pipes is great to do until you find your preference. In fact, if you read the forums that is the exact advice most would give you. Keep reading and learning, and stay on the long interesting and enticing journey of pipe smoking!

The photo below is from a motorcycle trip I made to Kentucky. I was doing an Iron Butt ride, and put on >1000 in the state of Kentucky miles that day to get my Kentucky In-State certificate. What a beautiful state! I have done other rides through Kentucky just to see the beauty again. I don't really like the photo because I look upset, but I was just concentrating to get the right angle for the photo to capture the beauty of the area. I think I failed, but not bad for a low life codger biker with an iPhone.

Kentucky Pipe.jpg

Silverwing

Lurker
Apr 14, 2024
Bowling Green, KY
Greetings from Southwest Germany. You can find really good pipes for 100 or less.
I'm really happy with most of them, only ones I've had trouble with are old grabow estate pipes and stuff like that. I got a Brigham that took a little breaking in but it's doing pretty good now that the bowl has a little bit of cake building up. For some reason it really didn't like to smoke to the bottom of the bowl before I had a cake. The bottom of the bowl would just get really slick and wet, almost like it had wet clay smeared all over it, and it wouldn't burn past that point or build up any cake. But I smoked a few bowls of a fairly dry english blend and that helped a good bit.

Silverwing

Lurker
Apr 14, 2024
Bowling Green, KY
I love the photo
Sounds like you got a good start. Trying good tobacco and finding your preferences. Smoking < $100 pipes is great to do until you find your preference. In fact, if you read the forums that is the exact advice most would give you. Keep reading and learning, and stay on the long interesting and enticing journey of pipe smoking!

The photo below is from a motorcycle trip I made to Kentucky. I was doing an Iron Butt ride, and put on >1000 in the state of Kentucky miles that day to get my Kentucky In-State certificate. What a beautiful state! I have done other rides through Kentucky just to see the beauty again. I don't really like the photo because I look upset, but I was just concentrating to get the right angle for the photo to capture the beauty of the area. I think I failed, but not bad for a low life codger biker with an iPhone.

View attachment 303224
Thank you. Kentucky is beautiful. I loved the coastal plain where I grew up, and while it makes up for it with its sheer biodiversity, I don't think it holds a candle to Appalachia in terms of natural beauty. Also, Appalachia has trout fishing which is undeniably the coolest kind of freshwater fishing.

Reactions: Doctor Chopper