PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Hey everyone. I'm RookieGuy. I'm a middle aged husband, father, veteran (Go Army!), and well, just a regular guy from outside Baltimore, Maryland. I enjoy hiking, fishing, and my motorcycle.

I've been smoking a pipe since June 2020. I prefer burleys and va/ors, but that's not to say I don't enjoy blends from all genres. I started smoking a pipe to get myself off cigarettes. It's been....somewhat successful at best. Haunted Bookshop helps.

I found this place back when learning to smoke a pipe. Well back when I was first learning anyways, I'm always learning. I lurked forever and got to really like what I saw. And I look forward to being part of a vibrant community of fellow members who appreciate a fine brown leaf.
Welcome to our corner of the internet!

• Love
Reactions: RookieGuy80

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
Have you been able to locate silver queen corn?
Silver Queen corn hasn't been grown for some years. Who knows the name of the newest strain. (just white sweet corn to us). I'll have to remember to ask my two local growers. This has come up in the past on the forum.
We've been devouring corn for the last two weeks, the season is short. A dozen around here is now $8.00. We might freeze 200 ears, if my hip is up to sitting and doing the work with my wife. With the drought we experienced in last Spring and the coldest Spring on record, I was worried.

My seven year old is visiting from Louisiana. They do not eat corn on the cob in Louisiana. They put frozen (gasp!) cob pieces in their crawfish boil. Animals. Here, my wife showing the granddaughter how civilized people eat corn (and crabs, not that junk crawfish). And, we do put Old Bay on corn on the cob, in case you were wondering.

20230718_203104.jpg

Jan 27, 2020
Well... I've seen some trucks on the side of the road with what they claim is Silver Queen. But honestly, it's getting harder and harder to find anything not contracted out already.

That's sad and what I heard elsewhere here. I grew up in South Jersey where Silver Queen was the literal queen of farm stands. Guess it's time to grow your own...

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
My local Ag Extension agent (my neighbor...) confirms the sweet white corn now grown/sold in most of Maryland, is Silver King. He said it has evolved many times in the past 25 years. Silver King is sweeter, hardier and roasts better. He reminded me that Silver Queen ruled the Eastern Shore several decades ago, but any major grower would have also evolved (but the name remains in folks mind, maybe like a Polaroid, etc?). He asked me, why do you care and laughed when I told him it was for my pipe forum.

Reactions: puff_not_snuff
Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
First, Wisconsin has some beautiful Welcome To signs. What does the "Chopper" in your username come from?
It's the old double entendre. I am a motorcycle enthusiast and have a custom made chopper. I am also a surgeon, and do chopping of a different sort. Doctor Chopper is my biker moniker.

Wisconsin does have some beautiful signs, and also beautiful twisty roads for motorcycling. Unfortunately the season is short.

-Doc