PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

BingBong

Might Stick Around
Apr 26, 2024
London UK
Wowzas!! You’re the first person I’ve ever heard of to have actually visited their old shop in Perth! I would have LOVED to of seen it for myself, as they used to do all their own blending ‘in house’ one can only imagine the sights & smells! Please feel free to ‘wax lyrical’ & tell us all about it!

Welcome to the forum btw, from Hereford UK.
Rattrays, demolished and replaced since, but had quite a grand frontage, big windows either side of a central doorway, three piper / native American figurines above, one piper figurine stood outside during opening hours. Inside, step back in time. Commercial tobaccos and cigars and cigarettes behind the main counter, pipes over to the right, tables throughout with large 18th century glass amphora, each containing a house blend. Generally only old Charles himself in attendance, although towards the end I vaguely remember a woman helping out. The interior really hadn't changed much in 50 years, by the look of it.

On further thought, I did actually buy a white tin of Balkan Sobranie there once; I'm sure Charles raised his eyebrows and asked why that in particular... it was a recommendation, but I'm quite sure that he was itching to sell me a far more interesting house blend :)

• Love
Reactions: jpmcwjr and simong

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Oh... pipes, only a few! Now a couple of Saromes, a Peterson, a fairly rustic Istanbul meerschaum, and a Chinese rosewood churchwarden that smokes hotter than a two-dollar pistol.

Cellar, hmmm, SG Cabbies Mixture, St James Flake/Plug, Navy Flake, FVF and Plug, Skiff, Commonwealth. G&H Ennerdale. Petersons Deluxe Navy Rolls. Mac Baren HH Latakia Flake and Vintage Syrian. Dunhill 3 Years Aged Virginia, Dunhill Elizabethan. St Bruno. Germain Brown Flake, Special Latakia Flake. Rattray Marlin Flake. Possibly more.. oh, a couple of SG I never got along with, Best Brown Flake and Chocolate Flake.
Sounds like you’re very well on your way 😊

Manawydan

Might Stick Around
Apr 24, 2024
Greetings from Southern California! I visited London back in September and absolutely loved it. Hoping to move there some day. :). Welcome!