PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipePint&Cross

Might Stick Around
May 17, 2023
Indiana
Hello all, I started pipe smoking exactly a year ago and have loved it from the start. I have been lurking here and listening to the radio show from before my first smoke, and decided to finally join the forum.

I live in southwestern Indiana, south of Louisville, KY and west of Chicago, IL. I got interested in pipe smoking due to a bad cigar experience (the technicolor yawn). I had been smoking a handful of cigars a year, but after that experience could not stand them, and yet I missed them. So I figured maybe the pipe was a good alternative (despite being told that they were difficult and unenjoyable). After a couple months I finally took the dive and it was better than I thought, and much better than cigars.

I smoke about once or twice a week in good weather, and not at all when it is cold. My favorite tobaccos so far have been Virginias and VaPers. I knew I was interested in the tobacco smell and taste as I loved it in cigars and actually enjoyed the smell of other people smoking cigs, so I mostly skipped aromatics. I tried a few but they didn't do much for me. I have really enjoyed Escudo, Orlik Golden Sliced, Three nuns, Sixpence, and Quiet nights. I just tried Gl Pease Windjammer last night and absolutely loved it.

My pipe collection has grown way faster than my wallet likes. I have a couple artisans, a couple high end factory pipes, and seven mid range factory pipes. I also have a handful of old beater pipes that I have had fun cleaning up. So far I really lean toward 6-7 inch billiard style pipes.

On a personal note I have a young family. I am a blue collar worker with an interest in reading, fine art, coffee, whisky, beer, and most of all my faith. I hope to continue to learn from you all.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey from central North Carolina. I grew up in a near northwest suburb of Chicago. I've driven across Indiana several times and enjoyed the 360 degree horizon in some of the farming areas. I considered going to the writing program at Bloomington on G.I. Bill but chose UNC Greensboro's program, so here I am. Welcome aboard.

Reactions: PipePint&Cross

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
On a personal note I have a young family. I am a blue collar worker with an interest in reading, fine art, coffee, whisky, beer, and most of all my faith. I hope to continue to learn from you all.
A good percentage of us pipe smokers are blue collar workers who list art and reading as our interests. I think there is a connection. They're fine and accessible luxuries. Hope you enjoy being here.

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Welcome from California 🌞 I'm also south of Louisville and west of Chicago! Lol.

I agree, Windjammer is a fabulous blend. I've not struggled to find blends I like. My struggle has been narrowing it down to just a few open tins/jars at a time. (TAD/PAD is real)

Happy to have you here, friend!