PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Lucro

Lurker
Apr 27, 2024
Pittsburgh, PA
Hi All,
I’m new pipe smoker in western PA. It’s fair to say so far I’m more of an aromatic smoker, but I’m still trying to find my place. I have really been enjoying Cult Blood Red Moon, Boswell’s Piper’s Pleasure, and Country Squire’s Treasure Island. Looking to try more English blends and always open to suggestions.

Thanks for reading, Jim aka Lucro

Lucro

Lurker
Apr 27, 2024
Pittsburgh, PA
Try Boswells Northwoods and Countryside for your English. Good place to start. You can move over to Sutliff Match 20 then grab some Westminster and Quiet Nights then finally Pirate Kake.
I actually have Northwoods. I like it, but fatigue on it quickly. After about 15-20mins my cadence speeds up considerably. I need to just put it down, relax and come back to it after a brief break. But I’m marking all of these down so I know what to shop for next tobacco order.

Reactions: yanoJL

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
Greetings from...the burgh, too! I live over in Westmoreland cty but work out at CMU ...great weather today, I think I need to go find a nice bench and smoke some Orlik Golden Sliced.

I've been really enjoying Cornell and Diehl John Marr lately for an aromatic that still has a lot of tobacco flavor (Red Virginia and Orientals) - cheers!

Reactions: Lucro

Lucro

Lurker
Apr 27, 2024
Pittsburgh, PA
Greetings from...the burgh, too! I live over in Westmoreland cty but work out at CMU ...great weather today, I think I need to go find a nice bench and smoke some Orlik Golden Sliced.

I've been really enjoying Cornell and Diehl John Marr lately for an aromatic that still has a lot of tobacco flavor (Red Virginia and Orientals) - cheers!
That’s a vast improvement over my desk at the courthouse working in excel. I have added both to my list to try. I hear great things about Golden Sliced

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Welcome, Jim! It's all fine and good to be an aromatic you shouldn't feel any pressure to smoke anything that you don't enjoy be ashamed to smoke what you do enjoy.

Reactions: Lucro

Lucro

Lurker
Apr 27, 2024
Pittsburgh, PA
Welcome, Jim! It's all fine and good to be an aromatic you shouldn't feel any pressure to smoke anything that you don't enjoy be ashamed to smoke what you do enjoy.
Hi Aro, I kind of expect tobacco to be like whiskey in the sense that some days my favorite will not be my favorite. I assume my palette will be affected by mood same as when I’m sipping a fine whiskey, so I want to try as much as possible. I’m only a month in so it’s hard to be sure what I am 😀 if it turns out to be aromatics, I will be thrilled. I love the varieties and how some are heavily cased (looking at you Treasure Island) and others only hint at the extra flavoring.

Reactions: AroEnglish

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
Hi Aro, I kind of expect tobacco to be like whiskey in the sense that some days my favorite will not be my favorite. I assume my palette will be affected by mood same as when I’m sipping a fine whiskey, so I want to try as much as possible. I’m only a month in so it’s hard to be sure what I am 😀 if it turns out to be aromatics, I will be thrilled. I love the varieties and how some are heavily cased (looking at you Treasure Island) and others only hint at the extra flavoring.
Yeah, definitely try as much as possible! For starters I'd try Newminster No. 400 (Virginia) and Lane HGL or Sutliff Match 20/Match 965 (English-ish).